You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
7 years ago#21
Amusing. I remember this bones level, because there's a chest here that I accidentally broke a wand of digging over after stashing stuff in it. It's literally hovering *over* a pit somehow, and I don't know how to get to it. Levitating means I can't reach it. I think if I push a boulder on it, it would just bury the chest
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

DeathChicken
7 years ago#22
...and then I YASD, trying to teleport away from an eel on Medusa's level. No teleporting there. Dead

User Info: RockinNelis

RockinNelis
7 years ago#23
My latest character is Power, a neutral human Ranger. Dungeon level 3 turned out to be quite useful for this guy as it had a general store, an altar (not aligned) and the entrance to the Mines. I managed to find some armor but it's making me encumbered - still decided to wear it anyway for the 6 AC it grants. Also got an amulet of ESP after which about 5 eyes showed up so now I have intrinsic telepathy as well. Also got fire resistance from a red mold corpse.
Got a ring that's worth 200 that I know isn't levitation, regeneration or teleportation. Also doesn't seem to be slow digestion as I got hungry as soon as I put it on the first time. Hoping it's free action.
Anyway, my dog got killed but the altar is at least helpful to check B/U/C so it wasn't a big loss right then. I found an egg and decided to keep it hoping to get a new pet from it. I went into the Gnomish Mines where I found a mithril coat - cursed, unfortunately. Also a pickaxe.
Went another two levels down and it said "bones file M0.T [or something like that, I know it's Minetown] is not compitable. Don't panic, loading different level". I think I got that bones file through hearse, guess it doesn't work with Vulture's Eye? Strange thing is I haven't even used Hearse yet, just installed it and a few bones files showed up. So now I'm guessing I'm in minetown due to the filename of the bones file, but I'm not sure if the game first decides you're in minetown and then gives an appropriate bones files if applicable, or the other way around.
I went back up a level to continue exploring it. The egg didn't hatch, so I ate it when I got hungry. Then I fell down a trap door to dungeon level 7 with loads of monsters surrounding me in a big room. Simultaniously, I got confused and stunned. I thought it was part of the trap, but took one step and it said "you feel incredibly sick". Uh-oh. Well, that's not the same as deadly sick, is it? Browsing through the wiki told me it was from eating that egg earlier, guess I wasn't paying attention to my messages and it was rotten, given the same reaction as eating tripe.
So here I am, confused and stunned in the lion's den so to speak, possibly about to vomit and/or faint. Praying didn't cure anything and now I'm on prayer timeout as well. Great. Remembering I had my trusty cloak of displacement, I figured the best thing to do is just click around so my stunning will make me stumble around and the enemy's won't know where I am. A few turns of this and I had lost 10 hit points but I vomited and was no longer sick. I moved into a corridor to take the monsters on one at time. Of course, there just so happened to be a group of Gnomes on the other side of the corridor. I managed to slay those, slowly back away, and clear out the rest of the enemies as well.
And what's more, I still had plenty of health left! Plus a large round shield (dwarvish iirc?) and two dwarvish mithril coats had dropped. Unfortunately, picking up any of that would make me stressed and without a pet to check for curses, I had to leave them there for now and keep on my rather heavy armor.
Finding the stairs back up, which turned out to be the possible minetown level, I saw a plains centaur right near the stairs and promptly fled back down again. So now I don't really know what to do.

Options:
1) hope my cloak of displacement confuses the centaur long enough to get some range so I can shoot him to death.
2) keep going in the level I fell into hoping to find an altar or pet and curse-check the mithril coats before confronting the centaur.
3) just wear the shield and a mithril coat and hope for the best.
4) attack the centaur for a few turns before escaping back downstairs (keeping in mind the damage from falling down the stairs since I'm burdened from my armor). Rinse and repeat until he's dead.
5) Use my one uncursed scroll of identify on the armor and then shield to figure them out. Although I'd really like to bless it before I use it...

User Info: RockinNelis

RockinNelis
7 years ago#24
Okay, never mind all that. I killed the Centaur without any trouble after all, as when I ascended the stairs again he was standing a square away from me and didn't approach as I pummeled him with arrows. This level was indeed minetown, and there was a magic lamp for me. I also managed to get a pet dog, which was immediately slaughtered by a guard it foolishly attacked :(
Then I noticed a black unicorn and tried to kill it for it's horn and to sacrifice it, but of course it just kept staying out of a straight line with me and even picked up some items from my stash when I tried to lure it into the altar room - apparently guards will walk on your stash and rub out your engravement.... Didn't have a locking tool yet. I thought a cloak of displacement was supposed to help catch unicorns? Well, apparently it's not very reliable.
Anyway, a killed an elf mummy and thought "oh hey I have a tinning kit so it's safe to eat". And then in a leap of unimaginably stupid logic, instead of going "apply tinning kit" I just ate the corpse. /facepalm. So now I had food poisoning.

Now here's the weird thing: I stood on the altar which was conveniently closeby and prayed and.... "you feel that Venus is well-pleased". Um, yeah, dude, I'm dying here, some help maybe? That unicorn and it's horn were now looking o so close and yet o so far away. Took a few steps toward him...

DYWYPI?

So what just happened? I thought if you're on an altar you get an increased chance to get a major problem solved? Well, Venus decided to piss me off and just be well-pleased... Can't think of any luck penalties I had either, so... I don't get it.

/YASD.

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#25
Man, that's some BS right there. I HATE when your deity just ignores the giant elephant in the room that's about to snuff you out, and just gets pleased with you for praying.
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

User Info: estebum

estebum
7 years ago#26
After playing DCSS for a few days, a Nethack Barbarian seems almost easy. I was enjoying steamrolling everything with an armored, axe-wielding pit fiend bound to me by a magic whistle (wand of polymorph on first floor), despite zapping myself with a wand of cancellation (don't ask). Oh well, I was tired of lugging dozens of unid'd scrolls and potions anyway. I hadn't found a single bag.

I was having good luck learning from spellbooks, so I thought I might actually learn to cast something eventually. My pet fiend killed a friendly temple priest around DL14 and I took his 3 books. I learned 2 spells but the third book reading failed and teleported me, paralyzed, to a square between some soldier ants. I'm reminded of a scene in the movie The Beyond where a guy standing on a ladder reads a cursed book, gets thrown off the ladder, and lies paralyzed on the floor as tarantulas gnaw him to death.
"I'm not dying yet. There's a bunch of guys I have to kill first." - Sanjuro

DeathChicken
7 years ago#27
Ha, YASD again with my Samurai, trying to convert a Minetown altar with the priest still there (I did, but he chased me down and killed me towards the south side of town). Tried it again, and this time in Minetown, there was no priest at all, only a couple of gigantic ghosts. Sure enough, I find my stuff laying a bit away. Creep back to the altar to test it, it's all cursed. I'm deathly paranoid of that priest showing up again and still being hostile, so I avoid the south side. Then as I go to leave, I see him milling around my corpse to the east. Very carefully snuck back upstairs before he could notice me <_<

DeathChicken
7 years ago#28
And after YASDing that one too (well, sort of. One of those hyperactive death nymphs you get every so often robbed me blind), I'm doing well this time. Got a wand of wishing really early, which got me scrolls of charging, which got me basically an ascension kit. Am now on the bottom floor, standing on the vibrating square with the Candelabrum and the Bell, with -27 AC, duel wielding Frostbrand and a katana. And I have the second wand of wishing from the castle I haven't even done anything with yet

Still had to stop though, since on the way down I bumped into a gremlin, who promptly laughed and took my See Invisible intrinsic before I could kill him. I'd be very screwed if I kept playing at night and that thing had multiplied

DeathChicken
7 years ago#29
And I ascended the Samurai, woot. Ended up abusing my wand of wishing to get an entirely new ascension kit. Silver dragon mail for reflection, which freed up my amulet slot for Life Saving, changed my oilskin cloak out magic resistance, and then enchanted myself up to -37 AC. And I still had a wish left over for the Astral Plane, which I used to conjure up a cockatrice corpse and plow through the legions (which proved to be a good thing, as my altar ended up being the very last one I got to and I had to run through all three Riders). When it comes to ascending, I do not play fair <_<

That makes Valkyries, Samurais, Monks and Wizards I've ascended with

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
7 years ago#30
Apparently, Wizards can start with a (0:8) Wand of Death.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2