You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
7 years ago#11
...and no sooner do I type that, I go down a level, am immediately swallowed up by an energy vortex at the castle level, jolted by electricity and die

oi;rlhdntgiaphg

I will never, ever, ever ascend a damn Wizard
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#12
Working on ascending a Tourist with wishless conduct, bones turned off, and zero use of the "E" word, and it looks like I might be able to pull it off. Just reached Medusa and am about to head back to the mines to buy some protection, and dive down to get the luck stone.

The highlights and darklights:

Found 8 bags of holding before sokobon (which had the amulet, thank Crom), and tried pollymorphing them for a magic marker (something I desperately want). All I got out of them and about 10 unicorn horns was a glass orb, that I might have to use to find my way to the astral plane.

Had one HELL of a battle to secure the big room on account of a high AC, a somewhat poor weapon (If you call a +0 Giant Slayer on basic as poor), and a punk Troll who kept destroying my boulder forts with a wand of striking. Had a failed prayer attempt with 14 health, up against an Alex, and managed to luck my way through the battle (You hit! It misses. You Hit! It misses), coming out at last on top with FOUR HEALTH. Major sigh of relief.

Upgraded to Vorpal Blade thanks to some hefty sacrificing, and used some rings of adornment to sleaze my way from xp11 to xp14 with a pretty hot succubus (that I eventually decapitated). While I was on the quest, I fell through a trap door ALL THE WAY DOWN into the final boss room with the Master of Thieves (not very convenient as the whole map was still stuffed with bad guys). He looked surprised to see my dropping through the cieling like that. I looked at him. He looked at me. I raised my sword in a "don't even think about it" posture. He thought about it, and made a lunge for the credit card: "You decapitate the Master of Thieves!" YES! Managed to one-hit him before he teleported away with my prize.

After cleaning out all the shops I ran over to a fountain to dip some useless potions... but failed to notice that it was actually a pool of water. Sank like a rock. Blank paper a plenty, and all the potions of water I could drink! It sounds appealing, but I was significantly less than excited at the time.
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

DeathChicken
7 years ago#13
Continuing the never ending story of my Wizard misadventures, I actually started out with an Identify spellbook, which is really frigging cool. Unfortunately, you start with a 70% failure rate for that, so most of my energy was spent having it not work. Still not a major issue. Made it down to Minetown, shut myself in with the local priest, started waiting by the wall, figuring I could watch the door for anything coming

Acid Blob creeps in from under the door. I blast it. Wait some more. And then a Xorn phases in through the wall behind me, hits me about a dozen times, dead

[a9iyr;oaighyoa;8ighyo;uarihg

DeathChicken
7 years ago#14
Trying it yet again. This time I've been exceedingly lucky, getting two wishes from a smoky potion and from a lamp early, netting me Silver Dragon Mail and a helm of brilliance. First time I've ever actually made it far enough to attempt the Wizard quest, which was stupidly easy compared to the Monk quest. Down to the castle, which I cleared out through drawbridge abuse, grabbed the Wand of Wishing and saved out of paranoia <_<

Am using Magicbane and a stack of 10 or so daggers for weapons, AC's at -14, which...is okay, but I'm still getting jacked up by minotaurs. Had to blow three charges of a teleport wand to get them away from me as I was descending to the castle. Strangely, the thing I'm missing in this game are useful attack spells. I've found basically none, and Force Bolt sucks, so it's been lots of stabbing

DeathChicken
7 years ago#15
Haha, stepped on a magic trap while making my way through the Valley, and then Yeenoghu was after me. I've never actually seen him appear above Gehennom

I was worried he'd overwhelm me and my crappy AC, so I put on a teleport ring and tried to emergencyport. Whoops, no teleporting here, I forgot. So I put on a ring of regen, carved Elbereth and started stabbing him. He tried to zap a wand of digging. Whoops, no digging here. I guess he forgot too. And then he died <_<

DeathChicken
7 years ago#16
...man, Wizards get a hell of a lot easier once they wrangle up Finger of Death. Everything's dropping dead except stuff that happens to be immune, which is basically just the undead and the boss demons

I may ascend this thing yet. Plowing on through Gehennom, just past Orcus. Have an amulet of life saving. Only thing that can stop me is something stupid and random (with that in mind, I tried to wish for Vorpal Blade so it couldn't turn up on the Astral Plane, but it didn't work)

DeathChicken
7 years ago#17
...and now I've stumbled onto 3(!) amulets of life saving. And I lowered my AC to -33, just to be really goddamn overly cautious. If I lose this time, I shall be upset

DeathChicken
7 years ago#18
And then a fourth one. Turned out I didn't have to use any of em either. Finally ascended the damn Wizard, woooooooo

Only hinky moment was an air elemental engulfing me, and then just not dying for some reason as I beat the crap out of him internally. And then by the time I got to the Astral, I was nearly out of energy. Followed that up by teleporting my free pet angel away, putting on Conflict...and then getting attacked anyway by a bunch of angels. Couldn't hurt me though, with my ridiculous -34 AC. Went left, Finger of Death'd Pestilence, Chaotic altar was the first one I reached. Finally, finally

DeathChicken
7 years ago#19
Interesting. Trying to follow that up with a Samurai, which is so much easier it isn't funny. At about level 9, I found a bones file of...Black Mage the Wizard. That netted me Magicbane <_<

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
7 years ago#20
For most characters, making through the early game is most of the battle. For wizard it's all of the battle, pretty much. Once you get Aethiopica and some spells, only blatant stupidity and/or crappy AC is going to get you killed.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2