You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2

User Info: jackripper36

jackripper36
7 years ago#1
seeing as the original maxed out i'm making another to keep it going
Protip: When digging down, don't stand on the block you're removing. Not unless you like to plunge head first into a giant cave filled with lava.

User Info: sephka2

sephka2
7 years ago#2
Thanks for that.

The healer at the end of the last topic died after losing his cat to a mumak. Even with ridiculous AC, the scalpel just takes too long to kill anything.

My current attempt is at around DL 20. There have been quite a few polytraps along the way. My pet spent some time as a salamander, then turned into an elf. It then became an Aleax, which was able to wield Grayswandir (which showed up somewhere in the mines, I think). That was able to kill almost everything in one turn, and easily dealt with shopkeepers and priests (which I no longer needed).

Unfortunately, a few floors later, it hit another polytrap, and while trying to get something decent back with my magic whistle, I accidentally triggered it myself, broke my armour and left myself with a Green elf. No problem, just zap a wand of polymorph...

"The Green elf shudders! You kill the poor Green elf!"

Well damn. Now I'm trying to press on with my trusty unicorn horn. Hopefully I'll find a cat so I can polymorph up something decent (ideally lawful and capable of using weapons)

I've also been distracted by the Stone Soup topic, so I may be some time...

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#3
In the middle(ish) of an interesting Wizard run on NAO that I'm trying to pull off with wishless conduct. I only decided to try this after completing the quest and making it to the castle without a single wish opportunity, and with a huge pile of useless found artifacts (I like to wish up artifacts, without the ability to do that, I thought I'd go for my first conduct ascension).

Problem is this: I have no found any armor, and have poly-piled all of the magical armor I've found up to the castle with only one decent result-- a helm of brilliance, that I over enchanted and exploded. So I'm still wearing the full dwarven crap set. Fortunately, I was able to self-polly, lay an egg, hatch, train up, and abandon a fully grown silver dragon that I'm hoping to make armor out of later.

Bones-scummed for a bag of holding around DL20, since I still hadn't found one of those either. (Not sure if bones-scumming is known, or exists, as I kind of made it up. But it feels like cheating. Basically, I stopped playing after DL17 and just monitored the "recent games" list for deaths on levels I hadn't been to, and tried to rob them. Only one worked).

Although I have no decent armor, I have this going for me:

-Poly-pile via written spellbook at 38 percent fail rate when I take off the armor and don the robe.

-Drain Life spell to keep myself around DL 14 (and possibly do the constitution/wisdom/int trick to get more hit points)

-Decent hit points thanks to a couple bones file scrolls of cursed genocide and nurse dancing.

-a +4 magic bane that REFUSES to be enchanted to +5 (have drained, and re-enchanted about 10 times now, always with just a "moment" of a boost. Grrr).

-a +5 T shirt, my favorite item in the game

-full set of intrinsic resistances, except shock

-intrinsic teleportation control / teleportitus thanks to a lucky tengu corpse (had a ring of teleportation control just in case before I started eating, fyi, got to toss it away)

Right now I'm standing at the gates of the castle in a sea of my own gremlins. A dang TITAN appeared when I rounded the corner to face the draw bridge, and had to charm-monster the hordes that surrounded me. I think they drowned the titan, the gremlins, but I can't really see past them. Once they got into the moat there was no stopping them...might have to genocide them, I don't like the idea of coming back up from hell to this mess later.
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#4
PS- Question:

I have turn undead at 94% fail, which coupled with the EoE should make it do-able for what I intend: If I kill my silver dragon, and he does not leave scales, can i resurrect him and try again? Or is it futile if he does not drop them the first time?

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
7 years ago#5
I went into the plane of earth and realized that... I forgot to bring my gold detection scrolls.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.

majesticmystic
7 years ago#6
Goodbye Sanae the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 2940162 points,
Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
The Master Key of Thievery (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Snickersnee (worth 1200 zorkmids and 3000 points)
The Longbow of Diana (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
7 turquoise stones (worth 14000 zorkmids),
6 emeralds (worth 15000 zorkmids),
6 amber stones (worth 6000 zorkmids),
4 diamonds (worth 16000 zorkmids),
4 amethyst stones (worth 2400 zorkmids),
4 agate stones (worth 800 zorkmids),
3 jacinth stones (worth 9750 zorkmids),
3 citrine stones (worth 4500 zorkmids),
3 jet stones (worth 2550 zorkmids),
3 opals (worth 2400 zorkmids),
3 obsidian stones (worth 600 zorkmids),
2 garnet stones (worth 1400 zorkmids),
1 dilithium crystal (worth 4500 zorkmids),
1 ruby (worth 3500 zorkmids),
1 black opal (worth 2500 zorkmids),
1 aquamarine stone (worth 1500 zorkmids),
1 topaz stone (worth 900 zorkmids),
1 jasper stone (worth 500 zorkmids),
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
and 33963 pieces of gold, after 53102 moves.
You were level 29 with a maximum of 245 hit points when you ascended.

I totally forgot to visit the stash as I went up. Don't know what I was thinking.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#7
http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/a/anticlimatic/dumplog/1304669535.nh343.txt

Goodbye anticlimatic the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 2265740 points,
You were level 19 with a maximum of 427 hit points when you ascended.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 19 types of monsters
You polymorphed 1684 items
You changed form 2 times
You used no wishes

majesticmystic
7 years ago#8
Aaaand my new samurai finds a wand of wishing in Sokoban level 2. I'm actually kind of tempted to give up on this playthrough right now because it's not very fun ascending someone with half the ascension kit filled out so early on.

majesticmystic
7 years ago#9
Note to self: Cloak of invisibility is only MC2, and is poor defense against ring busting electric attacks. Fighting electric eels in melee while levitating over water with MC2 is asking for death.

The only respite I have is that the electric eel I happened to kill while levitating over water didn't bust up anything, and the eel that busted up my ring of levitation was killed when I was still fighting on dry land, so I'm still alive albeit shaken, and I need to get a new ring later. And a MC3 cloak.

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
7 years ago#10
Trying to ascend Black Mage the Wizard yet again. I'm all the way down to level 24, where I've found an aligned priest and an altar. BM is at level 13, I got an early wish for a gray dragon scale mail, so my AC is at a comfortable -15. Two hitches in this game, though. Sokoban only had a bag of holding, so the only source of reflection I have is a shield I stumbled on. Which does its job, but of course messes over my spellcasting a bit. And I foolishly left my spellbooks in a chest way the hell on the top of the dungeon, so I'm going to have to go back up to recharge my bread and butter magic missile spell, as it's fading from my memory. Grr
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2