You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Linley's Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

User Info: Primus_Ultimas

Primus_Ultimas
7 years ago#21
Thanks for the update, didn't realize 0.8 was out. I'll have to update tonight
veritas primus et ultimas propheta
If you want to know, just ask. My listed email is dead

User Info: crate3333

crate3333
7 years ago#22
I've been trying out some Mountain Dwarf Fighters in 0.8 and the heavy armor changes are very noticeable. I feel much, much stronger than I did in 0.7.x. Heavy armor classes can really take a beating again.
The only opinion one should care about is one's own.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

Primus_Ultimas
7 years ago#23
I didn't get a chance to update until just now and haven't really played any just yet, but I did try a few rounds in the ten rune sprint and noticed what I assume to be buggy behavior. When hovering over some wall tiles they would randomly come up listed as various unID'd stuff like amulets, potions, armors, foods, and one time I seen a monster. The really interesting part is that I ended up finding a couple of these things as I played. A specific example would be where a wall tile came up as a potion of confusion, and a couple rooms later I found a pink potion that ended up bein confusion, then in the next room was the phantom another wall tile claimed to be. I'm going to try and remember to report this later.

I tried the other new sprint a couple times, but figure it requires some kind of luck or maybe a strat I wouldn't know about. See, two rooms in it starts giving you oklobs, and if you run past those there are more waiting in the next room, and they can be priests! I read how they were evil bastards in a couple forums but didn't fully grasp just how evil they are until now.

you open the door. an oklob comes into view
the oklob spits acid at you.
ouch, that really hurt!
you die.

It did over 32 damage IN A SINGLE SHOT, and I never seen these before to even know they could do that! WTF?!?

crate3333
7 years ago#24
You're expected to die a ton in Sprint, the point is that it's a fixed level so you know what's coming, so it damn well is going to be harder than anything in the main game.

That said I got a ring of invisibility twice in a row in the first room with the worker ant ... I expect that's fixed and there for a reason.

But I haven't really played it at all except to check out what you just mentioned.

User Info: sephka2

sephka2
7 years ago#25
Hmm, interesting.

I've played a wide range of things in crawl mode and tend to randomly get killed a lot. Only got to the Temple once so far. Can't narrow it down to anything, probably just not knowing what's too tough to fight yet.

I've also been trying the sprint, and it's quite fun - although you die many times it's not too much of a pain to start again, and again, and again...

I've actually had some success with a Spriggan Assassin on Red Sonja - if I can sneak up on things they tend to go down in one hit. If they wake up, I'm usually dead. Just managed to get lucky when Ijyb dropped a wand of fireball. Managed to kill Sonja with it, then got killed by the Elephant slug, which I don't usually have so many problems with... Nothing is safe in Sprint mode.

crate3333
7 years ago#26
If you're playing a Troll you can honestly fight basically everything (maybe avoid Ogres and Sigmund). If you're dying before the Temple, it's because you're fighting poorly (engaging more than one enemy at a time, for instance), or you had exceptionally bad luck. If you're playing something else, it's likely that plus not being as strong early on.

It turns out that Recall was added to one of the Necromancy books in 0.8, which means that my biggest gripe about the Kiku change in 0.6 (or maybe 0.5)--that she could no longer let you recall your undead--is gone. Hallelujah! I've another Sludge Elf Necro going now. I found an early scroll of acquirement and chose a weapon, forgetting that I had yet to actually gain staff skill (hoping for a lajatang, like usual). Well, I got handed a triple sword of slicing.

Ok, my aptitude there is mediocre, but this is too good to pass up. Change of plans, let's roll with long swords! I've also gone with actually creating some undead to fight alongside me again, and now I remember how absurdly powerful Twisted Ressurection is. Strolling through the dungeon surrounded by eight friendly red "X"s is pretty easy (and they have a thankfully low EV, so stray arrows are unlikely to get through to you!).

I've currently learned about all I want from Necromancy books, so I'm trying to decide what to branch into. Nothing too appealing has popped up so far....

sephka2
7 years ago#27
Well, I'm just going on the information the game gives you here, but I'm starting to think Minotaurs make for good Monks (with the staff). Their aptitudes are a lot better than the trolls and they can benefit from enchanted weapons. They fail at magic, but so do trolls.

I had my second best run with a MiMo, managed to kill Crazy Yiuf somehow and got hold of a +4 +2 staff of chaos (or similar). Then ran into Sigmund and beat him easily.

Can't remember what killed me that time, may have been a load of orc priests and wizards. Still need to learn when to run away.

I think my problem is forgetting to heal in between fights. I only do that if my health is yellow or red, so I end up going into tough fights at around 70-80% health and that makes all the difference.

I also can't take to mages. MP recharges faster than Nethack, but there's not as much to begin with, so I end up running out in the middle of a battle. And then have no melee weapon. Should at least start with a dagger or staff, IMO.

Even so, I think the interface is a lot better than Nethack.

crate3333
7 years ago#28
Mages don't start with a melee weapon specifically because they don't really need one (the Crawl devteam wants to drive this home by not starting them with anything). Very occasionally you'll get spotted by an entire pack of jackals at once and then you're dead, but for the most part with skillful play you can lure out single enemies and your MP bar should last long enough to take out the common single enemies early on. You definitely have to recharge your MP between fights as a mage, because getting caught without MP is basically the same as a fighter getting caught without HP (hitting 5 will rest until you notice something or until your MP recharges or until your HP recharges or for 100 turns, whichever comes first. It makes healing up between fights much more convenient).

Mages do tend to have a more difficult early game, especially before about XL 3, but they also tend to be more flexible--and thus more powerful--late-game.

You can of course choose to learn a weapon and play more of a battle-mage style, but it's not completely necessary to do so and balancing your skills so it works is challenging.

Primus_Ultimas
7 years ago#29
I think part of my problem is that when I play fighter-types I go all out and when I play casters I play defensively, and I haven't figured out how to do a defensive caster here. I'm used to D&D 3E and 3.5 where I have the books physically in front of me and can plan a whole character to XL 30 in about an hour. Here you gotta rely on random drops and religion, and I think that's why I'm having trouble with stone soup and roguelikes in general. I like the idea of random dungeon crawls, but I liike having a little more controll over how my character grows

sephka2
7 years ago#30
Best game to date, just got to DL 8 then got killed by a yak. There were about 3 of them, so I backed into a corridor, but even alone they hit far too hard and I died right after drinking a healing potion.

I've discovered a handy trick with stairs. Not only can you use them to escape from a fight, you can use them to split up a horde. Let the first one or two reach you, then dash upstairs. Kill them, then go down and straight up again to lure another couple after you. Great way to mow down a gang of orcs without the priests and wizards blasting you.

As far as ranged attacks go, is the accuracy and damage for daggers, axes etc. based on the relevant weapon skill at all, or only on the throwing skill? Seems like daggers are the best ranged option for a melee character. Pity they don't stack.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Linley's Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup