You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. More Funny Nethack Moments

User Info: ZeroCatsWing

ZeroCatsWing
8 years ago#11
Accidentally discovering I could commit suicide with a scroll of genocide.
http://championshipwrestlingalliance61775.yuku.com/forums/8
Thank you Paul the Octopus. You have contributed so much to the world.

User Info: estebum

estebum
8 years ago#12
chased by one too many Jackals, dog nowhere to be found...

The Jackal fell in a pit! The Jackal dies!

*phew, close one I think. Several levels later, chased by a deadly pony! They are faster than me and kick a lot! As a last resort I quaff one of my 4 unidentified potions. You fall asleep...

(The other 3 were potion of healing, potion of speed, potion of invisibility)
A chainsaw! Find some meat!

User Info: Runite

Runite
8 years ago#13
Generally with unidentified potions, you want to throw them at the monster instead of drinking them yourself. Who cares if you heal up a monster you couldn't kill anyway? It's better than getting paralyzed or slept, which in a panic situation amounts to instant death.

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
8 years ago#14
Several levels later, chased by a deadly pony!

A good way to deal with a powerful domestic-type (cat, dog, or horse) animal that is threatening you (besides Elbereth), is to throw some food at it ^.^
If it's the right kind of food, the animal stops attacking you and instead becomes a new pet for you; if it's the wrong kind, at least the animal becomes peaceful, and won't kill you (barring conflict / confusion / etc.).
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;

estebum
8 years ago#15
Yeah thats always my plan, but i don't always have the food :)

I am getting better survival instincts... was being crushed by an Owlbear and had the presence of mind to write ElberethElbereth in the dust. He let me go and I threw a black potion at him, which turned out to be that potion of sleeping again. Score one for me this time.

Later for the lols- snuck into an opulent throne room full of o's. I thought I would lure a few out and cut them down one at a time in the hall, until I realized they were asleep and I was stealthy. I slipped through the room, tried to quietly open the side door and kaboom! It was booby-trapped! You are stunned! eaten by a bunch of groggy orcs still in their pyjamas

User Info: AmaiseingMaze

AmaiseingMaze
8 years ago#16
You can do some hilarious stuff with the stone to flesh spell... The visual image of turning a boulder into a giant piece of generic meat- and then eating it, is just gross and hilarious at the same time.

Imagine if McDonalds had stone to flesh technology... holy crap! maybe the already do... That MUST be what goes on behind the counter, a pile of rocks, and a healer- KAZAP chicken nuggets.

Stone to flesh is actually a really cool spell- reviving statutes, turning things into slabs of meat (including certain rings lol), turning stone golems into flesh golems, and statute gargoyles into gargoyles (if you play slash'em) Can even save you from petrification in an emergency- though your rings will all be turned into delicious meat!

I'm still waiting for a touch of death equivalent level matter spell called petrification. That would be cool.

estebum
8 years ago#17
Just saw "What do you want to apply? (cpr or ?*)" I chuckled.

my new Knight was progressing well, since I've learned to fight from a distance with the lance. In the suburbs of minetown I step on a magic trap and get blinded, then stripped and beaten to death (just as my sight returned) by monkeys. Lots of monkeys. rough neighborhood.

also LOL at the Mcdonald's thing. I could picture some modern day wizard learning to magically turn stone to flesh, and out of all the possibilities now afforded him by his powers he elects to go into the 99 cent fast food burger business. I guess he'd now be one of the richest and most powerful people in the capitalist world though...crafty wizards.

I always thought the "meat rings" were kind of weird. Monks should get "stone to tofu".

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
8 years ago#18
There's a video out there of part of the process of making Chicken McNuggets. Not for the faint of heart. Stone to flesh on a boulder then eating the resulting Vast Hunk O'Meat™ seems like a good idea in comparison.

@estebum,

There's an emergency measure when getting surrounded on a magic trap. #sit a number of times on the trap, hoping to trigger a Charisma gain. If that happens every adjacent monster is tamed (if possible) or made peaceful (if untameable). It's low probability, but could be worth a try.

My own funny NetHack moment. My recent games were going great. Started with the sleep spell as a wizard. Had a great time knocking out enemies with it. Got a wish from a throne for SDSM. Got bored, moved the save file for later use, and started another game.

That game gave me a +5 leather armor from a leather golem. Got Magicbane from sacrifice shortly after. A magic whistle let me rob stores blind with pets. Once again got bored.

Then suddenly the magic was gone. Died over and over again. Then got another wizard, but with the Charm Monster spell. Found +3 crude chain mail and +5 dwarven boots! Was going great until a polytrap created a yellow dragon. For some stupid reason I tried to tame it with the Charm Monster spell, which meant taking off the body armor. No hope with the spell (I was too low level), and a bounced blast of acid finished off my character.

Just now found the bones file. Had to kill my old pet soldier ant Anne and tame gold golem Goldy. Outmaneuvered the dragon by pushing a boulder into the doorway. Right now I'm sorting through the bones pile. Put on the +5 boots without even checking for cursedness. Already had +1 dwarven mithril so didn't bother with the chain mail.
Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
8 years ago#19
Nice finds everyone ^.^

You can do some hilarious stuff with the stone to flesh spell... The visual image of turning a boulder into a giant piece of generic meat- and then eating it, is just gross and hilarious at the same time.

*giggles and smiles* ^.^
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
8 years ago#20
Later for the lols- snuck into an opulent throne room full of o's. I thought I would lure a few out and cut them down one at a time in the hall, until I realized they were asleep and I was stealthy. I slipped through the room, tried to quietly open the side door and kaboom! It was booby-trapped! You are stunned! eaten by a bunch of groggy orcs still in their pyjamas

Late, but you can wake up things from a distance by applying some sort of instrument. Failing that, close the door and kick it down. Not many things are going to sleep through THAT.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. More Funny Nethack Moments