You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Neat things that aren't in nethack but you'd like them to be

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
8 years ago#31
Good luck everyone ^.^
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;

User Info: LancetJades

LancetJades
8 years ago#32
I'd love a way to continue playing after certain types of death. Hear me out.

Being killed by something that modifies a corpse would result in the ability to keep playing as that sort of creature. Killed by a vampire? You start as a Vampire, with all the attributes one has. Vampire is now your "base" type, for polymorph purposes, with any limitations on equipment and such in effect, and with only the basic intrinsics they have. Polymorph works on you like it would, except you eventually revert to the vampire, and can not become your "human" form again.

Alignment and such is changed accordingly. No more weapon proficiencies? I'm not really 100% sure on how being a type of monster works when polymorphed normally, but I'd assume it'd mostly be the same, but with that monster as the base type.

At least I'm pretty sure vampire is a "conversion" death. If not, substitute for one of those undead types that causes you to be something besides a ghost.

This would also go with any other monster that converts you after death. Slimed to death? Now you get to continue as a green slime!

Being killed as your new monster type would result in your corpse or other remains "crumbling to dust," thus no third chances. As a cruel trick, when you ascend, it could give an alternate end screen where it's like "[God] is glad to have the Amulet, but s/he has no place for [base monster type] in the heavens! Cue sad trombone."
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.

LancetJades
8 years ago#33
Another idea I had, also for extension of play, is to allow you to be "revived" on a bones file. Hear me out again!

Basically, it'd work like so. Player1 dies, leaves bones. Player2 happens across it. If its a corpse or statue, they can turn undead or stone to flesh it respectively. When this is done, Player1 is revived, and has their save file restored. Now, there's a lot of ways this could go, since this is obviously a difficult process to do, given how saves and floors work.

First, how the revived player character would work. When their file is "restored," it checks to make sure that the name is not in use on another file (I don't know how servers work with that, but I can't imagine it's too difficult). If it is, it "distorts" the name, similar to distorting things etched into the floor (or dust). Maybe run it through the "dust" filter once.

Second, when loaded, it's reset to Lv1 with stats rerolled, and then a penalty applied to all stats, maybe -1 to -3 or something (obviously accounting for stats that kill you if they go too low). All weapon classes that were unrestricted via gifts are removed. Full, 100% amnesia is applied - loss of all floors and item knowledge. Lose all spell knowledge, and all non-default intrinsics.

Get an intrinsic called something like "Resurrection Sickness" that prevents gaining attributes and intrinsics (aside from level-gained ones), and forces luck to cap at the default level for a while, say, 2000 turns or so. Maybe have things like reading scrolls and spellbooks have a success penalty, with the failure blanking the scroll, and wearing down the spellbook (but no other spellbook fail penalties).

Other floors are retained, although maybe give a % chance of removing all items and monsters in the level ("Your world has been thoroughly shaken."). If you have explored the floor where any of the invocation items are located, they are always removed and "magically appear" in your inventory when revived (as the ONLY things in your inventory). The floor they were on when you died is always marked to be cleared out.

The floor you are on is maybe cleared out too. When revived, maybe it could give a message like "Some kind soul has returned you to life/flesh, but made off with your things!" One possibility would be to have the resurrection be "finished" when the other player leaves the floor, with it saving the floor as they left it. If they die, the resulting bones file will be saved (100% chance of it forming) as the revived player's current floor, with it otherwise functioning as usual.

Alternatively, have the resurrection "force the player out" of the floor, forcing them up a floor in their dungeon branch. If up isn't possible (not sure on which floors in all are eligible for bones), then down. When they return to the room, it's how it was, but minus the revived character. The revived character gets the contents of the room, minus the reviving player. Anything they left that isn't compatible with you (duplicate artifacts that you had on other floors) is converted as bonues files usually do. Unique monsters that already occurred are converted to a Doppelganger (or something like that).

Resurrection of a player who obtained the Amulet, whether or not they were in possession of it, or if it was even on the same floor at the time of death, is impossible. "A powerful magic force taints the corpse/statue, and your benevolence is thwarted!" In this case, it functions like it normally dies, and just revives the corpse/statue as an NPC.

Resurrection BY a player who obtained the Amulet will also fail. "The Amulet's energy taints your spell! Intelligence cannot be restored to the [target]!" Again, the revived player works like the previous example.
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.

LancetJades
8 years ago#34
Both this and the "play after death" ideas would be compile time options that could be turned off, of course. Especially on public servers.This was intended more as an exercise in "what if" than as an idea I'd expect to have integrated into
Nethack.

The biggest downside is this means Bones files need to keep all the data a normal save file would have in them, and then have it there while a new player is in the floor. Not insurmountable, but still a concern to keep in mind.
Lost, but not forgotten.

User Info: Runite

Runite
8 years ago#35
What would happen to the person who did the reviving?

LancetJades
8 years ago#36
Well, I provided a couple of examples. One was that the revival wasn't complete until that person left the room, in which case the room is saved exactly as they left it. The revived player, when the file is loaded, has that floor exactly as the reviving player left it. The reviving player, if/when they return to the floor, will have it exactly as they left it, minus the PC.

In the above example, the PC has to be alive when they leave for the revival to be complete, in addition to the other conditions of revival.

The other option is the revival blows the reviver up one floor (or down, if up isn't possible). The room is saved exactly as it was when the revival was done. When the reviver returns, it's in that state, minus the revived player.

For the revived player, it's exactly as it was at the time of reviving, minus the reviving character.

That aside, the other biggest issues are the unique items and unique monsters, both of which it's easy to issue a patch to fix (as I mentioned in the previous post).

I would assume that, aside from the stat-scarring effects of narrowly returning from the dead, it'd give a mark on your conduct list, or whatever that's called. Something like "Revived." There could be a similar intrinsic that sticks around after revival sickness wears off, too.

It'd be funny if being revived granted immunity to the touch of death (from Death himself). "You don't fear the reaper!"
Lost, but not forgotten.

kawaiifan
8 years ago#37
Nice ideas ^.^ Thank you LancetJades!

"You don't fear the reaper!"

^.~

kawaiifan
8 years ago#38
One of my favourite songs ^.^

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
8 years ago#39
Saddles should have saddle-bags that you can put stuff in to burden your pet if you don't feel like lugging it.
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

kawaiifan
8 years ago#40
Nice idea anticlimatic21 ^.^
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Neat things that aren't in nethack but you'd like them to be