• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Post your worst adventures (Mk. 2)

User Info: Runite

Runite
9 years ago#41
The worst part is, that was easily my best run ever. Not score-wise, or progress-wise, but it was the smoothest game I've ever had. Never had to Pray, never had to spam Elbereth with my fingers, never even had to break out an escape item. The game set 'em up, and I knocked 'em down. It was like watching Eidolos play...well, except for the lack of ElberethElberethElberethElberethElberethElberethElbereth.

That'll learn me to try to do a whole game non-stop.

>_<

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
9 years ago#42
Looks like you forgot to eat your daily dose of pickled black dragon...

"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

Runite
9 years ago#43
I didn't disintegrate, I just zapped myself with Finger of Death >_< At least disintegration leaves a cool grave message.

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
9 years ago#44
Short of "oLS, nothing can save you from your own death ray. MR doesn't help.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.

Runite
9 years ago#45
...it happened again. Not as bad this time, but still bad.

-32 AC Wizard. Identify, Magic Missile, Magic Mapping, at 0% fail. Almost every item in the game identified. +6 Magicbane. All relevant intrinsics. And all this before the Castle or the Quest.

Found Ludios. Cleaned it. Left.

Went down one level. Soldier kills a cockatrice. I start bombarding him with Magic Missiles.

Nope.

Rest In Peace Sydney, the Female Elven Wizard.
Petrified.

Live fast, die young, and leave a sweet Bones file, I guess. Yay, Hearse.

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
9 years ago#46
Boy, I just botched the rogue quest -bad-. First sign of trouble was accidentally killing a thug or two with my +5 Stormbringer on the way to that smarmy Master of Thieves. Tinned a bunch of chameleon corpses along the way (I had a couple poly wands, but wanted to save them for pile action later) which would supposedly go well with my ring of polymorph control. My plan was to just turn into a Xorn on the bottom level by eating one of the chameleon tins with the ring on, float through the wall, wake him up, and float back towards the stairs to battle the quest boss there.

Things were going fine all the way down there, though all the potions of healing and gold that I had collected from the nymphs and leprechauns were weighing my bag of holding down, so I just took what I needed and left the bag on the level above the boss level (which was most of my stuff). I had a +5 T-Shirt, a +0 green dragon scale mail, a +4 helm of brilliance, and a +3 Gauntlets of Power...which I remembered to take off when I exited the stairs, ate the tin, turned into a Xorn, as planned, started floating through the wall to the quest boss and....enter Mr. Gold Naga. I find myself in the wall, surrounded by nagas, one of which is invisible. Before I have time to notice, my gauntlets of power and helm of brilliance are disintegrated, before I know it again, I'm back to human form....but there's one HUGE problem-- I'm still stuck in the wall, and beset on all sides by nasty nagas, one of which is destroying my armor. I have no wands of digging, because they're all in my bag. No wands of teleport, no quick poly options (no time to crack open another tin of chameleon meat)...and after desperately trying to scribble Elbereth into the wall without success, the master assassin wakes up and finishes me off.

"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

majesticmystic
9 years ago#47
How'd the Nagas get in the wall?
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.

majesticmystic
9 years ago#48
Nowhere else to put this so...

Note to everyone - reading even unID'd uncursed spellbooks in a locked room with teleport control, magic resistance, poison resistance and with a good pet around is a good idea, seeing you are fairly safe. However, doing so right after killing a priest to get back all the money you donated is less good of an idea if you actually plan on using those gold (like giving them to another priest). about 30k worth of gold = gone.

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
9 years ago#49
Ouch *cries for the unfortunate characters* ;.;
A session like these can be disheartening -- I like to take a li'l break from Nethack when one happens, then come back later.
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;

User Info: GelatinGhost

GelatinGhost
9 years ago#50
My first character on the nao server: I'm a level 10 knight with 72 or so hp, -3 ac, a magic cloak thanks to a shop and an amulet of reflection to complement it. To top it all off I have excalibur and intrinsic speed (the only thing unfortunate that happened was my mount died to a landmine).

In any case, I decide to go to mine's end to get that oh so special luckstone, and have absolutely no trouble sweeping the pitiful creatures that inhabited the mines. Then I reach mine's end. I see a gnome and a gnomish wizard. I go to kill the gnome, as I think to myself: "those gnomish wizards can't cast for crap anyways". When I get to the gnome and kill him, picking up a few gems along the way, I suddenly notice the gnomish wizard is no longer there. Instead I see a purple L. I think to myself: "no way, that can't be right". I highlight the letter, and lo and behold: an arch-lich. I still am in disbelief, and actually convince myself that it must be a chameleon or something (as I type this, I am starting to wonder how I ascended before this if I didn't realize a. that there are polymorph traps in mine's end and b. that shapeshifters that turn into arch-lichs are just as dangerous as arch-lichs). In any case, I actually move a couple squares away from the upstairs, and the L promptly teleports next to me. At this point I am scared out of my wits (I had never met a purple L in previous games due to genocide), and decide to hightail it out of there. It touches me a couple times, but thankfully with my intrinsic speed I manage to make it upstairs before he does anything dastardly like summon nasties.

So there I am, a floor above cursing out the foul L and celebrating my narrow escape from death. I am so carefree at this point I decide to explore some parts of the current level that I hadn't earlier... and I think you can guess what happened. That's right, a trap door.

RIP GelGhost the lawful male human knight, killed by a Jabberwock (the lucky winner of the nasties knight bashing contest)
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Post your worst adventures (Mk. 2)
  • Topic Archived