• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Post your worst adventures (Mk. 2)

User Info: TruePurple

TruePurple
10 years ago#11

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in YASD thread.

This "adventure" crosses several games thanks to bone files.

First I die in the center of mining town, can't recall why.

Then I come across the bones of that death, trying to defend myself against my ghost and the legions of monsters walking through the town (while the guards watch) I accidentallypiss off a guard, maybe by having my spell go him. So I keep on putting this guard to sleep out of the view of the other guards (not sure if them seeing me attack him would make them angry) hoping to do my business and leave, but monsters continue to appear and slow me down. Eventually I shoot sleep at him in a out of the way location with lots of walls where i figure the sleep ray couldn't possibly hit anyone. I guess it went past a shop keeper,(though I still can't figure out how, any shopkeepers were some distanceand a number ofricochets away)because I was attacked by one shortly after. I died a short distance from the grave of my previous adventure.

Third game,

I had managed to tame a ice vortex (it was that or it possibly killed me) I arrived in the mining town with the ice vortex and a large cat in tow. Immediately upon entering mining town I was set upon by a shopkeeper. Apparently the same one from before. I know I didn't do anything to anger him, so it must be that I used the same name & class as my previous game. That or he was so worked up that he decided to try out life as a monster. Oh and the angry guard from last game is chasing me too, presumably for the same reason as the shop keeper. Oh and of course my ghost. Ok, so i am running around trying to position my pets to finish off these guys so I can have some peace in this level to shop & stuff. Only problem is lots of monsters are still marching through town. Including many cold immune monsters like undead that have my ice vortex locked on to them trying to kill them (and it's swallowing animation etc. is annoyingly long) So I have to site there waiting to attackthese undead etc monsterswhen it spits them out so it can focus on the guys I really need it to attack. Unfortunately while I finally got one to kill the guard, the shopkeeper finally caught up with me, my pets still distracted attacking other monsters.

User Info: TruePurple

TruePurple
10 years ago#12
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in YASD thread.

This "adventure" crosses several games thanks to bone files.

First I die in the center of mining town, can't recall why.

Then I come across the bones of that death, trying to defend myself against my ghost and the legions of monsters walking through the town (while the guards watch) I accidentallypiss off a guard, maybe by having my spell go him. So I keep on putting this guard to sleep out of the view of the other guards (not sure if them seeing me attack him would make them angry) hoping to do my business and leave, but monsters continue to appear and slow me down. Eventually I shoot sleep at him in a out of the way location with lots of walls where i figure the sleep ray couldn't possibly hit anyone. I guess it went past a shop keeper,(though I still can't figure out how, any shopkeepers were some distance and a number of ricochets away) because I was attacked by one shortly after. I died a short distance from the grave of my previous adventure.

Third game,

I had managed to tame a ice vortex (it was that or it possibly killed me) I arrived in the mining town with the ice vortex and a large cat in tow. Immediately upon entering mining town I was set upon by a shopkeeper. Apparently the same one from before. I know I didn't do anything to anger him, so it must be that I used the same name & class as my previous game. That or he was so worked up that he decided to try out life as a monster. Oh and the angry guard from last game is chasing me too, presumably for the same reason as the shop keeper. Oh and of course my ghost. Ok, so i am running around trying to position my pets to finish off these guys so I can have some peace in this level to shop & stuff. Only problem is lots of monsters are still marching through town. Including many cold immune monsters like undead that have my ice vortex locked on to them trying to kill them (and it's swallowing animation etc. is annoyingly long) So I have to site there waiting to attack these undead etc monsters when it spits them out so it can focus on the guys I really need it to attack. Unfortunately while I finally got one to kill the guard, the shopkeeper finally caught up with me, my pets still distracted attacking other monsters.

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
10 years ago#13
Ouch ;.;
and welcome TruePurple *waves hello* ^.^/
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;

User Info: Runite

Runite
10 years ago#14
Long story short: Died. Revived with an amulet of life saving. Kept going. Easily had enough gear and high enough stats to ascend. Made it to Orcus Town. Orcus summoned Yeenoghu. MR3, -20 AC, Invisibility, Very Fast speed, +5 Cleaver and ~165 HP made things laughable.

While I chased them around, a Troll I'd been ignoring went nuts outside my sight radius with a Wand of Create Monster. I found Orcus in the middle of a huge-normous cluster of assorted giants and vampire lords. I hit Down/Escape a few times to slash my way over to him, and skip over all the "The death ray misses the djinni!" messages (yes, for some reason there was a djinni). I just watch my HP score, in case it drops. It never left full.

...and then before I knew it, was looking at the DYWYPI screen...I have no idea what happened.

Here's my theory, though.

One of the random monsters summoned by the Troll must have been able to paralyze me, somehow. Orcus must have gotten within melee range - my log says Orcus killed me, not Yeenoghu or some random - and flayed me before I regained mobility. Escape - not Space, because I got arrogant - blew through the beating, so I never saw it [not that I could have, y'know, done anything about it].

And I must have forgotten to put on one of my two spare "oLS.

Runite
10 years ago#15
Oh, and I forgot the worst part of all.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1040/newpictureywu.png

User Info: Kthulu

Kthulu
10 years ago#16
Wow. That old topic was my first (and likely to be my only) 500 topic. Hooray for horrible adventures!
Life is an addiction.
Death is rehab.

User Info: Ozzythegnome

Ozzythegnome
9 years ago#17
As a level 3 monk, I was running happily through the dungeon, playing havoc with it's inhabitants and beating up the local residence with my (gloved) hands. As i approach level 4, I check my inventory, and everything seems okay. Now, I start quaffing from a fountain, looking for a magic one. It creates a water demon!

I run, I run, I run, i run like the gingerbread man. And eventually I get to a doorway, and i bar it with a boulder.

"Phew," I think to myself, as I lean on the door, fanning myself with my spellbook of healing. "Wait a second...Isn't the staircase down on the other side?."
Dreading my fate, I push aside the boulder...and the water demon isn't there!
Instead, there was a monster that looked like a vortex.

I hit the / button. The monster was...JUIBLEX. I Wtf'ed. Juiblex Lulz'ed. I cried all over my computer. Now, i started running for the hills. Juiblex chasing me. Even the HILLS where running for the hills!

Juiblex catches up, it swallows me. I hit it. I hit it. I hit it. I quaff a potion of healing. I hit it. I pray. Hit. Quaff. Quaff. Hit. Hit. Cast Healing.

WYLYPI?

In addition, there once was a game...

Joanee! The Level 12 Valkyrie!
Running around hitting things in the Gnomish Mines.
As I look at my inventory, I notice my ring of teleport control is not on.
I take ONE step. Just like that guy who polymorphed into a dragon...
Instead of polymorphing, I be telemorphying! And true to my bad luck and teleportis (damn nymphs) I teleport straight into a 3 by 3 square of rock! And there was a NYMPH INSIDE.

The wood nymph steals your uncursed +0 ring of teleport control!
Damn.

Runite
9 years ago#18
I had a Samurai going strong. I found a /oW in Sokoban, and that set me up. SDSM, /oLS, Speed Boots, dual-wielded Grayswandir and my starting Katana, Gauntlets of Power, and two wishes (one charge stored so I'd have an instant wish in an emergency, and then wresting in a calm time) held in reserve. Everything was great. Well.

A few levels past Medusa, I ran into the craziest level I've ever seen. Every tile, except for one room, had been dug up and magically lit, so that the level was a screen-sized, wall-free, Big Room. I explored it, and it was obviously a pudding farm which had gone horribly wrong. Loot everywhere, unsorted. I had to turn Autopickup off just so I wouldn't find myself Stressed with every fifth step. Crazy amounts of black puddings, just running rampant. I should have gotten suspicious when I noticed there wasn't actually a Bones pile.

But I didn't. I ran and hid in that one room.

Someone had gone to work on it. It was a normal, randomly-generated walled room, but the maker had drilled holes in it and Wizard Locked them, creating some relatively imposing (for NetHack) double-doors. One was destroyed. I should have blinded myself to look in there, but I didn't. I just kicked the door down. By some crazy chance, I had a direct line of sight through my new opening to a Chaotic Altar.

Then Yeenoghu, Juiblex, and a metric crap-ton of lesser &'s came out and totally wrecked my ****.

I think what happened is, one person must have farmed all those puddings, using the altar room to sacrifice corpses for artifacts. Then, somehow, he went sideways and summoned that demon swarm - which MUST have been peaceful to him, considering how many he was able to call up. Maybe he just got bored. Then he went back out, kept on farming, and somehow, things got out of his control. That much is obvious.

Moving into the realm of speculation, maybe he blew his way into his room with a Wand of Striking, which pissed off some demon or other, who proceeded to kill him. I figure it must've been a demon who killed him, because his Bones weren't in the area outside the altar room. They must've been inside there - I never made it in to check.

Sigh.

tl;dr: Found a Bones level of an enormous pudding farm. The deader had also summoned Juiblex, Yeenoghu, and some other demons, who proceeded to beast all over my promising Samurai.

Runite
9 years ago#19
...now that I've re-read that post, I realize I'm wrong. It can't have been a mis-aimed Force Bolt which pissed off his demon army, because the doors were still intact...I have no idea what happened. There were life-saving amulets all over the place; there's no way the puddings could have taken this guy.

But his bones weren't in the main area. I checked pretty carefully, because I enjoy playing "Guess the Deader's Role, and What Killed Him". The bones must have been in his chapel. And I don't know how he could have angered those demons by accident and also left his doors in place, while managing to die inside the chapel.

I have a few more guesses:

1) I missed his statue, caused by a foo-atrice mishap, amidst the wreckage of the pudding farm.
2) He teleported into the chapel, and somehow pissed off the demons. Maybe he was actually non-Chaotic, and used the fruits of his farm to stay alive long enough to summon those things?
3) I really did just miss the Bones. I really doubt this - in such a cleared-out, well-lit expanse, a ghost would've stuck out like a sore thumb.
4) Malice. He made the pudding farm, got bored, went into his chapel and /oDeath'd himself.

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
9 years ago#20
Runite--

Your archeological bones file discovery blew my mind. Man I wish I could get hearse on my Apple computer, but alas I don't think it's possible. Your story reminded me of countless movies and stories about someone showing up somewhere that something went horribly wrong, just as you described it. It was a joy to read, thanks, very Lovecraftian.

Demon lords can summon other demon lords, but can they just show up out of nowhere? Can randomly generated monsters summon demon lords? I'm betting he was cornered by puddings, hacking away, when one of them showed up somehow (maybe one of the puddings dropped a figurine of an archon or something, which became hostile somehow), then summoned more and more buddies until he was stuck and overwhelmed.
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Post your worst adventures (Mk. 2)
  • Topic Archived