• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Post your worst adventures (Mk. 2)

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
9 years ago#1
It seems that this topic is quite popular on the board, so I believe it deserves a remake. I'll share my latest tale: I was on the priest quest when a trap door opened and sent me straight to a pool of lava.
I'm not better than everyone else, but still better than those who THINK they're better than everyone else.
Independent rescuer. Rescues: 4

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
9 years ago#2
Thank you for continuing this topic ^.^
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;

User Info: sephka2

sephka2
9 years ago#3
A half-decent archaeologist attempt was touring the lower levels of the mines, then steps on a levelport trap. Almost immediately falls down a trapdoor. On the way back to my large dog, I run into a trio of hill orcs. One of them deliberately jumps on a polytrap (how do they know it's there if it hasn't been triggered accidentally before?).

It turns into an arch-lich. The arch-lich turns invisible. I scribble Elbereth, but don't really have a choice but to run for the nearby stairs. Of course, you know what happens when you try running past an invisible arch-lich (or at least you can guess). I get weakened by a spell, then killed by its icy touch.

Then again, "Killed by an invisible arch-lich" does look good on the scoreboard.

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
9 years ago#4
*groan*

Chaotic elven wizard. Decent starter roll. Conflict, RingoPolymorph, magic marker, poison resistance, 16s, 19i, 18w. I immediately dip my spellbook of light into the first fountain I see and try to write a magic missile spellbook, but after all :88 of its charges were spent writing "My Diary" I was simply on a suicide mission...living it up, and doing things I wouldn't DREAM of doing if I was actually trying to accomplish anything.

After drinking about 5 fountains dry with ZERO negative effects beyond somehow getting my gloves cursed, I had enchanged my wisdom up to 20, and was granted a WISH on my last drink (WTF?). So I wish up some silver dragon scale mail, and decide once again to give the game a shot. Ass-kick my way to minetown, find about 5 oil lamps in the stores, none of them magic. No spellbooks or anything really of use for a wizard, except a magic marker in a hardware store...which I spend entirely on writing "My Diary" in the same blank spellbook I had been writing "My Diary" in when I started the game. No dice, grandma.

So I was once again apathetic about the game, after the minetown dissapointment (not even a co-alligned alter), but remembered that I had a ring of polymorph and silver scale mail, which meant that I could turn myself into a dragon and eat everyone in minetown, getting a massive AC boost with all the shopkeeper's gold. So I took off all my armour except my mail, put the ring on, and after dodging around for quite a while, nearly getting killed by soldier ants, violla! "You transform into a silver dragon."

I TAKE ONE STEP FORWARD!!....

"You transform into a giant mimic!"
"You break out of your armor."

WTF? It made me piss around for five minutes to transform the first time, then I take one step forward and I shift again, destroying my armor?

DARN YOU RNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Epilogue~

"Really attack Izack the shopkeeper?"
"You transform back into an elf!"
"You die."

"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

User Info: lalalei2001

lalalei2001
9 years ago#5
^ Wow. That's just tragic.
=^_^=

anticlimatic21
9 years ago#6
Just lost another Wizard, with every single valuable jewel in all 42 levels, as well as every piece of gold, about five paces away from the alter on the astral plane.

Largely my fault, as I was rushing. Stumbled into the astral on accident from the water plane, unprepared. Was getting ready to ascend, pulling out my potions of full healing, amulets of life saving, and ring of free action when fammine suddenly burst through the door and pounced on me. Quickly found myself stunned and hungry, trying to wand of teleportation my way out of there, but because I was stunned I kept zapping at nothing, and before I knew it had gone through 2 amulets of life saving. Forgetting to put on my ring of free action, anytime I tried to apply my unicorn horn to remove the stun effect, I'd get destroyed and burn through another amulet of life saving, creating a vicious cycle. I finally broke free long enough to make my way out of the first room and towards my alter, when I got stunned again, and although I left fammine way behind me, my stunned teleportation wand usage accidentally teleported him back right next to me again, at which time I noticed, thanks to magicbane's probing ability, that the priest behind me had my 5 potions of full healing that I must have dropped.

The last move of the game was agonizing. I had 9 health out of my 247, not enough mana to cast anything, was surrounded by unspeakable horrors, stunned, hungry, and out of amulets of life saving.

G.G.

I had a hell of a time before that with Beelzebub and the Wizard of Yendor. Ran into the 'bub first on my way back up with the amulet (missed him somehow on the way down) and thought I'd try tossing him the amulet to see if he'd carry it all the way to the top level for me, but apparently the effect of getting teleported back a few levels while carrying the amulet works on the demon lords too, or some other funny business I couldn't identify, because after he fled upstairs, I lost him. So while I'm looking all over God's creation for the demon prince with my amulet of yendor, the Wizard shows up for the umpteenth time. I figure no big deal, just give him the finger o death, but after hitting him with it a few times with no result he casts double trouble, which is when I notice that he stole all of my artifacts, and thanks to the Eye, for some reason, became immune to my death ray, which was a problem as a wizard wielding a +4 magicbane at that point in the game, with a relatively high AC wasn't going to do so well...especially without the mana regeneration. So I kill one of the double trouble wizards after a huge ordeal, and burning through a few potions of full healing, but the one that had all of my artifacts vanished like the breeze, and I found myself without my quest artifact OR the amulet of yendor in the middle of Hell.

Ended up finding beelzebub at some point and getting the amulet back, and I got my quest artifact back from the wizard when he showed up on the plane of earth, though I was afraid he'd teleport to the plane of air and really cause me trouble, he didn't.

User Info: sephka2

sephka2
9 years ago#7
I believe you can pray on the planes, including the Astral plane. Might have given you one last chance at full HP. Really bad luck getting killed so close to ascending. Makes my worst adventures look tame.

That reminds me. I have a tourist waiting in Minetown. May be back here after YAAD, or may get lucky THIS time...

anticlimatic21
9 years ago#8
^^^^
Praying was the last thing I tried before I DYWYPI'd. It's the first time I've ever gotten killed after grabbing the Amulet of Yendor, but I've already ascended a few Wizards so it's no big deal...I was curious how having all the gold in the game, and all the jewels (something I usually just leave behind) would affect my score though. Drag.

kawaiifan
9 years ago#9
*reads the characters' misfortunes, and cries* ;.;

kawaiifan
9 years ago#10
*visits and saves* ^.^
  1. Boards