• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Who here has never ascended?

User Info: saul777

saul777
6 years ago#451
Getting close to 500
God bless kickstarter.

User Info: saul777

saul777
6 years ago#452
First time I posted in this topic was 2005. Wow
God bless kickstarter.

User Info: Super_Subzero

Super_Subzero
6 years ago#453
Super Subzero posted...
If you just started NetHack or find it very difficult to win the game consider this. A chaotic orc barbarian is the easiest character for beginners while a neutral human wizard is the easiest to ascend with.

Chaotic Orc Barbarian

Pros:
-is a powerful fighter, lots of HP
-starts with poison resistance
-no penalty for cannibalism
-no penalty for eating/sacrificing human corpses
-can reach (Basic) in dagger skill and (Skilled) in longsword, daggers and longswords are easily the best weapons in the game
-when going up back to the surface with the Amulet of Yendor chaotic characters can be teleported down 1 level at most.

Cons:
-can't use The Eye of the Aethiopica
-most chaotic artifacts are poor
-needs to find a source of Magic Resistance, Magic Cancellation Level 3, and Reflection a.s.a.p.

I should add that this advice is for vanilla Nethack only. If you are playing Slash'em then play a Drow Barbarian and fight bare-handed, and try to find a source of level-drain resistance (MC3 won't help) as soon as you can.

User Info: Robot2600

Robot2600
6 years ago#454
I think that as long as you are familiar with the mechanics a Dwarf Valkyrie is much, much, much easier than any barbarian. As soon as you master getting Excalibur you will be getting to Medusa most of the time and to the quest pretty often as well.

User Info: cute_fan

cute_fan
6 years ago#455
Welcome back everyone *waves hello* ^.^/

A key point in favour of the Barbarian, is automatic poison resistance -- useful for everyone, especially beginners.
cuteness ^.^

User Info: Amnekian

Amnekian
6 years ago#456
Found Vlad for the first time, found the Wizard for the first time, found the vibrating square for the first time!

Damn I hope the elemental levels aren't too hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGgGV7uwU4
Codename: Amatsu

User Info: Amnekian

Amnekian
6 years ago#457
After 2 glorious years of nethack, I finally ascended!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGgGV7uwU4
Codename: Amatsu

cute_fan
5 years ago#458
Congratulations Amnekian! *cheers* \^.^/
cuteness ^.^

cute_fan
5 years ago#459
*visits and saves* ^.^
cuteness ^.^