• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Who here has never ascended?

User Info: Beedee

Beedee
13 years ago#31
Like everybody, been playing on and off since I was 8 or so. I'm 23 now...BUT! I've ascended 3 times. 1 neutral Valkyrie, 1 chaotic priest and 1 neutral priest.

I'd have to say the priest is easily the best character in the game.

Beedee
13 years ago#32
Oh, and since people seem to be sharing "winning strategies", I'll put mine in too. I'm a really easy-going gamer, I mean even tho it's technically the same to just take off some metal armor everytime you cast a spell, I still prefer leather body armor and leather shield (or no shield) so I can cast spells when ever I wanna, without having them fail.

First off, start a new priest until you get a a spellbook of identify and a magic marker. Also, the higher the constitution the better. It gives you more HP every time you gain a level.

This is the set you'll go for (enchant everything to +5):
Weapon:
-the staff of Aesculapius

Armor:
-silver dragon scale mail
-speed boots
-robe
-t-shirt
-the mitre of holiness
-gauntlets of power/dexterity

The rest:
-the orb of fate
-the eyes of the overworld

Yeah, you see you can wish for other classes' quest artifacts too. The eyes give you magic resistance and work as a neverending magic lamp that gives you see-thru-walls-vision (love it!), the orb of fate gives you half physical damage, basically better than any single piece of armor. The silver dragon scale mail gives you reflection which is just mandatory for survival. Why not a shield of reflection? Cuz you'll be using the staff of Aesculapius and it's a two-handed weapon. The staff does massive damage when enchanted to +7, and what's best: it gives you hunger-free regeneration, also easily better than the AC-7 a +5 silver shield would give.

I never wish for the regular pieces of armor (boots of speed, gauntlets of power etc), just wish for a wand of polymorph instead. Kill all of the soldiers at Fort Ludios at the door so there'll be hundreds of pieces of armor on the same spot and then just zap the stuff with the wand of polymorph. You'll have some new random armor, definately will find the stuff you're missing.

Same thing with the ring of levitation (mandatory) and spellbook of magic mapping (once you pop, you can't stop). Just polymorph dozens of rings and spellbooks, they'll turn out eventually.

As opposed to what a lot of beginners do, don't genocide dragons. A lot of dragons carry a potion of gain level and/or extra/full healing potions (bless them and drink, get more max HP). The ones I genocide are L (destroy your armor), ; (drown you damnit!), n (steal important crap) and R (rust you stuff in the beginning, and disenchant armor later on). Also, in the priest quest I genocide Z when I come to graveyard level. If you genocide em before that, they'll be replaced by tougher monsters and after that it's not such a big deal anymore.

If you're going for a fighter class character then here's another "configuration" you might enjoy:
-gauntlets of power
-gray dragon scale mail
-boots of speed
-shield of reflection
-helm of telepathy
-cloak of displacement
-t-shirt

For a weapon, well...+7 Frost Brand does the most damage and the least monsters are resistant to cold. Mjollnir IS tempting (more damage unenchanted) but Frost Brand is actually better. Oh, and when you find a magic whistle..try wishing for a "blessed figurine of an archon". That's propably better than any weapon in the game, the archon is just frigging awesome =D

User Info: OrpheanBeholder

OrpheanBeholder
13 years ago#33
-helm of telepathy

Why this over a +7 elven leather helmet (which also weighs a lot less)?
Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Beedee
13 years ago#34
Oh, what's the elven helm do? It's leather tho, so you get hurt by stones falling on your head. But is there some special attribute to the elven leather helm?

OrpheanBeholder
13 years ago#35
Oh, what's the elven helm do? It's leather tho, so you get hurt by stones falling on your head. But is there some special attribute to the elven leather helm?

No special abilities except the +7 enchanting as is with all elven armor. Falling rocks isn't really that much of a deal with 6000HP either.

Beedee
13 years ago#36
[I]No special abilities except the +7 enchanting as is with all elven armor. Falling rocks isn't really that much of a deal with 6000HP either.[/I]

Uh, without cheating your max HPs ain't gonna go much higher than 300. Now that your final AC is gonna be somewhere around -50, does it matter if it's -48 or -50? I mean with the helm of telepathy you get this nice little attribute called telepathy, or just go for the helm of brilliance which is also very nice. Those are waaay better than the extra +2, which is just a waste of magic marker ink.

All elvish gear is crap in this game. Period.

User Info: dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
13 years ago#37
Drinking a potion of gain level after hitting level 30 will raise your max HP. It IS possible to have 6000 HP w/o cheating.. it will just take more time than it's worth.
I have 23 gmail invites, and they're ALL MINE!

OrpheanBeholder
13 years ago#38
Now that your final AC is gonna be somewhere around -50, does it matter if it's -48 or -50?

Nah, anything less than -30 is generally overkill. But it's fun to have.

I mean with the helm of telepathy you get this nice little attribute called telepathy,

It's quite unlikely that you do not have it already by the time you obtain a helm of telepathy. Especially if you are chaotic. If I'm not mistaken you also get it when you are crowned.

or just go for the helm of brilliance which is also very nice.

Indeed, especially for fighters.

Those are waaay better than the extra +2, which is just a waste of magic marker ink.

You could keep it at +5 (or just read 3 blessed scrolls and place your trust in the RNG) and just enjoy the fact that it weighs 3 as opposed to the HoB and HoT (50). I like being able to carry a little more junk.

Beedee
13 years ago#39
[It's quite unlikely that you do not have it already by the time you obtain a helm of telepathy. Especially if you are chaotic. If I'm not mistaken you also get it when you are crowned.]

Yeah everybody gets telepathy ("you feel a mental acquiety") as soon as you find a few floating eyes but the helm gives you ESP which is better.

[You could keep it at +5 (or just read 3 blessed scrolls and place your trust in the RNG) and just enjoy the fact that it weighs 3 as opposed to the HoB and HoT (50). I like being able to carry a little more junk.]

That's why I have a blessed bag of holding and STR of 18/** or 25. I always carry all my scrolls, potions and spellbooks in a bag anyway. Otherwise they get burned, boiled or frozen. Generally, I try to lose a lot of weight by not carrying useless wands around. That's what you have spells and powerful character for. The only wands I carry are digging, death and cancellation. WoWs and polymorph go in to the bag, and the rest to the trash. Attack wands are powerful in early to mid-game but as soon as you get a decent weapon and a few spells they're worthless.

And ofcourse, this is all IMHO. Nice to discuss the game with people who have extensive knowledge on it, tho. Most people don't even know Nethack.

User Info: legopowa

legopowa
13 years ago#40
Wizards might be better off wishing for a blessed magic marker instead of a wand of polymorph, with that (identified to make sure there are at least 60 charges) and maximum luck, the wizard has a 98% chance of writing a spellbook of polymorph, which would allow that wizard to polymorph things hundreds of times as opposed to only a few dozen at most with the wand (and at the cost of charging scrolls too). On top of that, you get some spare marker charges to do with what you please. Other roles only get at best a 1/3 chance to write an unknown spellbook, so a wish for the polymorph book itself would be better. As long as the player can get "basic" or higher in matter spells and has at least 30 power, that is a good route to take.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Who here has never ascended?
  • Topic Archived