I haven't cried in years... (Spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. I haven't cried in years... (Spoilers)

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
10 years ago#41
Oh - is it your birthday, Coolmik? Have a good one, if it is!

There are plenty of places to start off with writing a KLS fanfic. Most fanfics start in the aftermath of Ending 1, so it would be interesting to see a fanfic based on the Yumi ending or the intellectual endings.

I've sometimes idly wondered how the relationship between Taka and Cana might develop in the years after the intellectual endings, as she becomes a teenager. She might take Kana's place in his life; she might start falling in love with him, etc. She has a part of Kana in her, after all.

I guess the question regarding your KLS fanfic is how you feel about it. Do you feel the need to write something of your own, or are you open to the idea of collaboration? I'd be happy to help you discuss ideas, and we could try writing something small together if you want to get your feet wet before embarking on your magnum opus. =)

I'm not sure what reading order to recommend with Wolfson's stories. You start with 'Once Upon Omake', obviously, but then it diverges and you've got 'Let's Omake Deal', which was the next story written, and 'Going Bostal', which takes place before 'Let's Omake Deal'. I guess it makes sense to read them in chronological order - OUO, GB, and then LOD. It's just that I didn't read them in that order, so I don't know if they necessarily make sense when read that way.

I wouldn't bother starting 'Omake-turnal Illusions' because that one looks like it's stalled indefinitely, and there are only two chapters online. And you probably shouldn't read 'Fugue for a Duet' until you've played Crescendo, because that story does contain a lot of Crescendo spoilers.

User Info: JPop4Life

JPop4Life
10 years ago#42
Hi Coolmilk,

It's always a pleasure to meet other Kana fans on the boards (it's been rather slow for a while now).

I'm not sure if I want to let go of your timeline yet, Darkling! It seems like I've just finished, and for some reason, it feels like it would be canon if the creators of KLS could read it.

That probably is the best. Not that I don't want you to read my fanfic but I know for myself, that there was some time inbetween reading Darkling's fanfics and when I started writing my own.

I also know that Zero hasn't even read New Blooms or BW yet. He went from MSMS to making the flash movies into Eternity. He probably wants to wait until his mind is completely ready to read the other two so he gets the full effect (his mind runs mechanically that way).

It looks like it might be a couple of months yet before all nine chapters are completed. That gives you time.

Sigh... with just a few chapters left, I agree that there is plenty of time before the salt cube, I mean... Zero, get's the last chapters done... and you to edit... and for me to think of a title for chapter 8 >_<

BTW... thanks for letting people know there are 9 chapters. You just can't let me hold secrets huh ;)

Wow... it's been a long time I forgot about the WAFFO, btw Coolmilk... if you want to know where WAFFO came from and you're in the mood for sweets (as I see cookies being passed around) you could watch Sugar Snow Fairy.

Anyways...

We need to form a group like 'Oniichans Anonymous' or something. =)

Sigh... you know what Darkling? I'm going to miss Nanoka calling Kenshin oniichan =)

Oh, and you should play Crescendo and Ever 17 if you haven't already!

I recommend Crescendo. It was really good and touched my heart differently in many places.

As for Ever 17. I'm writing this like you should have already played it! I personally love Ever 17 almost as much as I love KLS.

Another I'll recommend is Hourglass of Summer. It's my third favorite (behind Ever 17 and ahead of Crescendo) and I found it very interesting. It is a DVD and not played on a computer. And there are some people who don't prefer it that way.

*coughdarklingcough*

Most fanfics start in the aftermath of Ending 1

Ano... *poke poke*

As far as I know, all of them start after ending 1 =)

If you want to write a fanfic Coolmilk, I'd say give it a shot.

The reason I wrote my fanfic was because I wanted to explore how Kana and Taka would handle Kana moving out. I know Darkling starts with them getting back together and working out their relationship after fact, which is what he wanted to write about. I also have some personal ties to my story that I felt like writing out. That was my main drive to write Eternity. And there were just so many connections and emotions I had when reading KLS that were similar to my feelings in my real relationship (except for the loving of my sister thing). And that is how I wrote Eternity.

JPop4Life
10 years ago#43
*extend*

What I'm trying to say is find a reason for yourself to write your fanfic. Darkling and I found ours when Kana lived, but left us behind. You could write about Taka after ending 3 and helping Taka pick up the broken peices in his life.

And I'll say don't worry about what other's will think about your writing. You would be surprised how many people in the KLS community that feel the same way for understand where you're coming from.

I do suggest talking to Darkling about fanfic writing. Him and I meddled in a little something that gave me some courage and confidence to write Eternity. And he's always a helping hand... sometimes too much, ne?

Happy birthday to you Coolmilk. Well... it will be tommorrow in my area, and I figure it is 'tommorrow' where Darkling is.

Hey... Zero's birthday is after yours April, 2nd. So if everyone on the board flood his emails, that would make me happy =)

I'm here on the boards but not as often as Darkling. Hope to hear from you and welcome to the outcast of sister-loving-eechi-folks that we are =)

Darkling183
10 years ago#44
*gasp* It's alive! Wow, I thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth, or gotten knocked unconscious under a pool table, or something. =)

Sigh... with just a few chapters left, I agree that there is plenty of time before the salt cube, I mean... Zero, get's the last chapters done... and you to edit... and for me to think of a title for chapter 8 >_<

I liked the one you came up with in your last email. Never mind the whole 'adjective nouns' thing. It fits really well.

BTW... thanks for letting people know there are 9 chapters. You just can't let me hold secrets huh ;)

Well, if Zero got them out faster, maybe I'd have been able to keep my mouth shut until the end. But I just couldn't do it any longer!

*sigh* I'd forgotten about the WAFFOs, too - especially how much a certain someone's approach annoyed the hell out of me. And relax, I'm not talking about you. =)

Sigh... you know what Darkling? I'm going to miss Nanoka calling Kenshin oniichan =)

Grr, there was so much potential there just waiting to be tapped! And you had to go get a real life. Inconsiderate so-and-so! JPop-kun no baka!

*coughdarklingcough*

Hey, I haven't played Hourglass of Summer, so I don't know how much of a hassle the password system would be. But there's also the fact that there are no ero scenes, so that's an added disincentive for me to play the game.

Hella long passwords + no ero scenes = no sale for Darkling.

Ano... *poke poke*
As far as I know, all of them start after ending 1 =)

You know, I've got no idea why I said that. WAFFO #1 took place during the game's timeline, but that's the only one I can think of that doesn't follow on from Ending 1. Forget I said anything.

I agree with JPop, Coolmik - it's best for you to figure out what story you really want to tell about Kana. That will take you some time to figure out. That's also why I'm not pushing the collaboration idea. I think it's best to strike while the iron is hot and write the story you want to write. It would be awful if you used up your urge to write on something trivial.

And he's always a helping hand... sometimes too much, ne?

There's no such thing as 'too much' editing where your writing's concerned, JPop. =P

User Info: Coolmik

Coolmik
10 years ago#45
=) It's not quite my birthday in California yet, but yes, I was born on April Fool's Day!

I've been thinking about it more, and I think I'll be going in the direction of Ending 3 for my own fanfic. I take a small notebook around with me and write small ideas that pop into my head. Mainly things to create situations for the characters and try to think about how they'd get out of it. I'm definitely open to something collaborative! I've written a few other stories that are original, but none of them have been completed. =/

There's this original idea that's always in my head, but I can't seem to create the world. For me, the creation of the world and the characters is the hardest part. The middle of the story, which bridges both the introduction and the conclusion of the story, is another difficult situation. I can write introductions and endings nicely, but I can't seem to connect them. Of course, if I consider the character and world creation difficult, I guess the entire writing process is, hahaha!

Your idea about Cana having a big role in Taka's life is also interesting. I don't think I remember running into her in the process of getting Ending 1 though. Did you have to extend your hand to Yumi to get the True Ending? Of course, I think it would work in Ending 3. Er... Didn't Ogasa only take the organs for Cana in the Intellectual Endings? Hahaha, I'll have to think through this some more, but I think it would be really interesting.

I think I'll read Wolfson's fanfics is the order that it's put up in order to go through the same experience other people did. Maybe it'll make more sense that way?

JPop4Life, it's really nice to meet you! I think that I read somewhere that you and Zero are brothers? Please correct me if I'm wrong, (it's been known to happen =) ) I'll definitely wait until all of the chapters are up. From what I hear, it's also a really good fanfic. I've also been hearing that Zero's flash skills are also getting better, which is good news. I wonder what he has in store for us?

I'm also looking into Crescendo, but I've never heard of Hourglass of Summer. You say it's a DVD type game, right? I think I've played one of those--one named Phantom of Inferno or something? It's been a really long time, so I don't remember it anymore. I do remember cars or some such in it. Yes, I'm very good at being vague!

And I'll say don't worry about what other's will think about your writing. You would be surprised how many people in the KLS community that feel the same way for understand where you're coming from.

Yeah, I've always been a bit of a worrier with that sort of stuff. (Of course, you can probably tell I worry about all sorts of things.) Will people be able to understand my story? Will they like the characters? Will it be interesting? So on, and so on.

Also, be sure to wish Zero a Happy Birthday on the 2nd from me! Even though he's never talked to me or anything, tell him I appreciate all the work that he's doing to keep the Kana community alive.

I really would like to write something with both of you guys. If you guys would like, all three of us could take part in one of the WAFFOs that are waiting to be written! You'll have to introduce me to the rules when it gets to that point =)

Also, you may be right, Darkling. It may be true that I should write what I want to write about KLS, but right now, taking part in any creative attempt to keep the Kana ~Little Sister~ community alive would be satisfying.

I'd also like to thank both of you for wishing me a Happy Birthday! Finally going to be 20! *Cheers* Only one more year after that, hahaha! (At least, that's how it's supposed to be. ;) I won't say anything if you guys don't.)

And on that note,

~ Goodnight!

- Coolmik
Kana ~Little Sister~
Born and raised on April Fool's Day! 04/01/88

Darkling183
10 years ago#46
It's not quite my birthday in California yet, but yes, I was born on April Fool's Day!

LOL, now I'm imagining you going up to someone and saying "hey, it's my birthday!" only for them to respond with "yeah, like I'm going to fall for that!". =)

I take a small notebook around with me and write small ideas that pop into my head. Mainly things to create situations for the characters and try to think about how they'd get out of it.

That's how I tend to work as well, for stories that I'm planning out in advance. I'll have the bare bones of the plot in my head, and little scenes and bits of dialogue will keep occurring to me. I'll keep writing them down for when I actually get around to writing that story.

For me, the creation of the world and the characters is the hardest part.

I think I'm much the same. I'm not an ideas person - one thing I hated at school was when the English teacher would say "just write an essay about whatever you want". Ideas don't occur to me all that regularly.

There's something very satisfying about finishing a story. I've found that the only way to learn how to write a complete story is to slog it out to the bitter end, even if you don't know what the hell you're doing. That way, you start learning more about how to get from A to B, and you can start improving on your initial efforts. I know that my first attempts at writing long stories were quite clumsy. But I came away with the belief that "if I did it once, I can do it again". That helped me a lot.

Hmm, you're right. If you're basing your fanfic on Ending 3, then Cana wouldn't have gotten a transplant from Kana. You don't have to throw all of your ideas into one story, though. It's probably best to stick to thinking about Taka and Yumi for the moment.

I think Hourglass of Summer is similar to Phantom of Inferno - they're both DVD games. You load the disc into your DVD player and navigate through the game with the remote. You can enter passwords to pick up where you left off.

Will people be able to understand my story? Will they like the characters? Will it be interesting? So on, and so on.

One thing I've learned to live by with my writing is this: if you write something that you enjoy, then at least one person in the world will enjoy it. If you try to write something for a nebulous 'audience', then you run the risk of writing something that nobody will like, not even you. So write something to please yourself, first and foremost.

Zero and JPop both seem to be busy at the moment. Zero's studying (and partying), and JPop has real life keeping him occupied as well. Unfortunately, that means that JPop probably won't be able to participate in any WAFFOs in the near future. He recently dropped out of an online roleplay that I've been involved in - he played a character called Kenshin, and my character was named Nanoka (from Koi Kaze, an anime about a brother and sister who fall in love).

Anyway, happy birthday, Coolmik. It's probably midnight where you are by now, right? Let's keep throwing story ideas around and see what comes up. =)

User Info: InfinityX

InfinityX
10 years ago#47
Happy B-day Coolmik! I just finished all the endings. and well I really liked all of them. Not much more to say but that it really makes you think about life and your loved ones.

So, where should I start for the fanfics? =)

User Info: Coolmik

Coolmik
10 years ago#48
LOL, now I'm imagining you going up to someone and saying "hey, it's my birthday!" only for them to respond with "yeah, like I'm going to fall for that!". =)

Oh man, that's not even half of it. For the people I manage to prove it to, I always get pulled into April Fool's Day type things. It's all in good fun, but some are really messed up.

"Hey, Michael!"
"Yeah?"
"______ (Person I really resent) just got into a car accident! She's in the hospital!"
"WHAT?! What happened? Is she oka-"
"APRIL FOOLS! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
*hangs up*

That's actually one of the worse ones, but then again the person that keeps doing these jokes is always odd like that.

But anyways, lets get back on track.

I think I'm much the same. I'm not an ideas person - one thing I hated at school was when the English teacher would say "just write an essay about whatever you want". Ideas don't occur to me all that regularly.

I really hated those types of prompts too. I'd have tons of ideas going around in my head, but I couldn't really isolate a single one and run with it to the end. Most of the time ideas would collide and try to become something bigger, but by the time I get half-way through it gets to the point where it's ridiculously complicated.

I've finished a few things, but they're mostly things that float around in my head. I have a Xanga that has all of this stuff, so I'll email you the link if you ever want to read through it. I'd like to warn you though, that a lot of it is dark. I guess I wasn't too happy when I was younger. Also, for some strange reason, whenever I write something like that, I never look back and read it over. You could say it's the Ultimate One-Shot Story since I really don't get to do anything with it afterwards.

One thing I've learned to live by with my writing is this: if you write something that you enjoy, then at least one person in the world will enjoy it. If you try to write something for a nebulous 'audience', then you run the risk of writing something that nobody will like, not even you. So write something to please yourself, first and foremost.

I guess I never really thought about it that way. Looks like I'm learning something new every day! =) In the end, the things that we write ultimately come from us. We carve the block of plain marble and eventually sculpt it into something that we can admire first, and then reveal it to the public.

Also, InfinityR: You should really read Darkling's fanfic trilogy. You might wanna skip my thoughts from my previous posts, considering they're spoilers! (Oops!) Darkling's fanfics are really excellent pieces of art.

And once again,

Goodnight!

- Coolmik

P.S.: Hey Darkling, I never got to ask you this or anything, but do you live in the US, or the UK? Maybe Australia? The times we get to reply to our posts vary a lot, so I was thinking that you were overseas. =) Or maybe we're both just insomniacs.

Thank you for both the Birthday greetings by the way!
Kana ~Little Sister~
Born and raised on April Fool's Day! 04/01/88

Darkling183
10 years ago#49
InfinityR: Yes, I'd start at Kana Little Fanfics. Read 'My Sister, My Strength', and go from there.

http://kana.darklingnet.com

I really hated those types of prompts too. I'd have tons of ideas going around in my head, but I couldn't really isolate a single one and run with it to the end.

I was the same. I preferred it when there was a set topic that I could use as a focus, like being provided with a title or the first line of a story. Then I could build a story from there. I see it like being given a block of marble (to continue your analogy) and being told to carve something from it. Being told "write whatever you want" is like being given a pile of sand and told to make something out of it.

What the heck is a Xanga?

JPop4Life
10 years ago#50
Wow... two posts in two days!?!? I must have forgotten my responsibilites somewhere =)

My apologies to Coolmik not Coolmilk. Geez... milk? I'm in trouble.

I think Hourglass of Summer is similar to Phantom of Inferno - they're both DVD games.

If I'm correct, Phantom of Inferno doesn't have any ero scenes and also comes on a DVD. From the DVD bishoujo games I've played (all 2 of them) they don't have any scenes and if the original game did, they cut them out.

How was Phantom? I've been interested in getting it at some point.

Oh... the other one was Day of Love, and it sucks...

I think that I read somewhere that you and Zero are brothers?

No... what do you mean Zero and I are related? There's no way I could share the same blood as that overly cruel, precise, crazy, salt-loving...

Nah... J/K. Yeah, Zero and I are brothers (I don't know how) and we tend to make fun of each other as such.

From what I hear, it's also a really good fanfic.

That's good that people so say that it's good. In due time, you can judge it for yourself too.

I wonder what he has in store for us?

I know what that is. It's going to go like this:

*Walks into Zero's room*

"Hey... did you have a chance to work on Eternity?"

"Uh... no, I was too busy <insert lame excuse, watching (anime), playing (video game), etc. >"

*Repeat for a month*

That's what we have to look forward too >_<

I really would like to write something with both of you guys. If you guys would like, all three of us could take part in one of the WAFFOs that are waiting to be written! You'll have to introduce me to the rules when it gets to that point =)

I can try... but as Darkling said, I've just been too busy to participate the way I really want to.

Zero and JPop both seem to be busy at the moment. Zero's studying (and partying), and JPop has real life keeping him occupied as well.

Zero? Party? *Laughs*

I'm hoping Zero reads these comments to get him going on Eternity =)

As for me, I more like... added a life than got one ;)

Happy B-Day Coolmik!

BTW... I may have missed it but where are you from? And how did you know I was in California?

Oh... Darkling lives in Australia. You have a nice car Darkling =)
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. I haven't cried in years... (Spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived