You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
  3. AWL Board FAQ: Read before asking a question! * Updated * Spoilers *

User Info: Luckiergirl

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#1

First off, in case you’re new to the AWL board, welcome. =]
This FAQ is the AWL Board FAQ: Updated; its purpose is to answer questions that, before the creation of the AWL Board FAQ, flooded and cluttered literally pages beyond pages of repetitive topics.
However, keep in mind that this FAQ won’t have every Q & A, so feel free to post any other questions you have here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

: // ____ Navigation

Post 1. Table of Contents
Post 2. Introduction
Post 3. Animals Guide
Post 4. Animals Guide: Continued
Post 5. Animals Guide: Final
Post 6. The Three Special Ladies & Van, the Traveling Salesman
Post 7. Special Items Guide
Post 8. Crops and Trees Guide
Post 9. Raising Your Son & The Harvest Moon Sprites
Post 10. Buildings and Additions
Post 11. Miscellaneous
Post 12. Glitches
Post 13. AC vs. HM
Post 14. Closing of this FAQ: Credits

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#2

Introduction

What’s this game about, anyway?
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life is a farming-based sim. It may not sound too fun, but the Harvest Moon series actually has been pretty successful. In this particular Harvest Moon game, you woo one of the three eligible ladies in town, grow and hybridize crops, care for animals, befriend townsfolk, and raise your own son until he’s decided on a career fit for him.

Is there an end to this game?
Yes. Chapter Six is the last Chapter in this game. Or, Year 10 being the last year. And also, there isn’t a free-play mode.

For those of you that are curious as to why this is: Spoilers

Major Spoilers: Do NOT look at the following few sentences before the Animals Guide if you do NOT want the ending spoiled for you.

After you have completed the last day in Chapter 6, or Year 10, a scene will follow up. In this scene, your character dies, and your son decides on his career.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#3

Animals Guide

What animals can I take care of?
There are various animals available to care for. There’s cows, bulls, chickens, roosters, a cat, your dog, a goat, ducks, sheep, and a horse.

Mini FAQ on Cows and Bulls
My cow stopped producing milk. What happened?
After providing milk for one year, your cow will stop producing milk. To get her to produce milk again, you must impregnate her.

To do this, you must purchase an MP. MPs are Miracle Potions [which can be purchased via Ledger], which impregnate your cow. There are two different choices you have: You could purchase one from another farm’s bull, which will cost you money, or, you can use a bull on your farm, and get the MP for free.

After the cow has been impregnated, it will take about 40 days for the calf to be born. After the calf is born, the mother cow will provide Mothers Milk for 5 - 10 days, which you must feed to the calf. Once she is done producing Mothers Milk, she will then begin to produce regular milk, which you can sell. Then after about a year, she will again stop producing milk. From there, the process starts all over again.

Wait, so, I got my cow, but why isn’t she giving any milk?
First, she has to mature [normally takes around 30 days]. Then, unlike in most HM games, you have to impregnate her to provide milk. After she gives birth to the calf, she’ll begin to produce milk. However, keep in mind that she’ll only produce milk for a year until she has to be impregnated again.

Are there different breeds?
Yes. There are four different breeds of cattle which you can have. In order from which provides the least profitable milk to the most profitable milk:
Normal
Brown
Marble
Star

Can you mix different breeds?
Technically, yes. You can have two different types breed. But, the calf will not be a new, mixed breed. It will randomly be one of the already four existing breeds.

How do I take care of my cows and bulls?
It’s important to snuggle, talk to, and brush your cows and bulls once or twice a day. Better yet, even three times a day. The happier your cows are, the better milk they will provide. As for the bull, it never hurts to show some affection to him, as well. Also, when your cattle seem to be a little dirty [you notice the color of your cows and bulls getting darker or scattered brown spots], take them to the wash bin in the pasture and use the brush to wash them. And also, make sure their feed bins are full, unless they’re grazing outside.

Where can I get more cows and bulls?
You can purchase cows and bulls from the Ledger, or purchase an MP and breed one of your cows to get a calf.

How long does it take for a calf to mature?
In most cases, it will take 30 - 40 days for a calf to mature to a full grown cow/bull.

Where can I get food for my cattle?
Use your sickle to cut the grass in the pasture box. Every time you successfully slice a spot of grass, it will be turned into feed. The feed is stored in the feed dispenser, which is in the barn, near the chalkboard.

What does Good Fodder do?
Good Fodder increases the quality and quantity of milk that your cow provides. But do NOT give too much of it to your cow. Feeding her too much of it can result in her becoming sick.

Does it matter how I milk my cow?
For those of you that don’t know, there are two different ways to milk your cow. You can do it by hand, or with the milker. But, it doesn’t matter which way you milk your cow.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#4

What ranks of milk are there?
There’s A, B, and S rank. B rank being average quality milk, A rank being fairly good milk, and S rank being the best quality milk.

How often can I milk my cow, and how much milk will my cow produce?
Twice a day. Once in the morning, another time in the afternoon to late evening. The amount a cow produces is based on not only its happiness, but also on the breed of cow. Normal cows seem to provide the most milk, but at the least worthy quality, while Star cows don’t provide quite as much milk, but at excellent quality.

When I talk to my cow, it says that she’s been acting strange lately.. What’s going on?
She’s pregnant.

The Harvest Sprites didn’t come this time to help me fence my pregnant cow.. Where’s the fence at?
You can find the isolation fence in the tool shed [next to the barn]. It’s in the back of the shed, near the cabinet.

Mini FAQ on Hens and Roosters
Where can I get more hens and roosters?
You can purchase hens [chickens] and roosters from the Ledger. If you have some chickens, and at least one rooster, you may occasionally get a fertilized egg. You can either sell the egg, or put it in the incubator in the top left corner of the chicken coop. After a few days, you’ll come into the Chicken Coop and be naming a new chick. After a few days [5-10], the chick will be a fully grown chicken/rooster.

Where do I get feed for my chickens and roosters?
In the page of the Ledger where you can purchase animals, buildings, and tools, you can purchase chicken feed for your chickens. You can also leave your chickens outside [pasture or on the ground] to eat freely, if you don’t want to buy chicken feed. But, it’s always a good idea to have a few extra bags handy.

How do I care for my chickens?
They’re similar to caring for cows, in a way, but much easier. You simply have to talk to and snuggle them at least once a day and make sure there’s plenty of feed left in the feed box, unless you keep your chickens outside.

Mini FAQ on Sheep
Where can I purchase sheep?
From the Ledger.

Can I get female sheep?
No. There is only male sheep for purchase.

How do I get golden wool?
By making your sheep happy [snuggling, talking to, and brushing two times a day or more]. You can also wash your sheep right before clipping him to receive golden wool.

How often do my sheep provide wool to clip?
Every ten days, your sheep should have a thick coat. That’s when you can shear him.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#5

Mini FAQ on the Goat
When can I get the goat?
In Chapter Two and above [ONLY in the Spring] you can purchase a goat from Van.

My goat stopped producing milk.. What do I do?
There’s nothing you can do about it. Once the goat stops providing milk, she’s done.

How do I care for my goat?
Pretty much the same way as you would take care of cattle or sheep.

My goat only provides one bottle of milk a day.. Is that normal?
Yep, that’s the daily amount.

Can I sell the goat?
No, you can’t sell the goat. The most you can do is stop feeding it and let it die of starvation, or simply stick with it.

Quick Guide on Other Obtainable Animals
How do I get the cat?
You can receive the cat by befriending Romana. After you have successfully befriended her, wake up after your wife in the fall [when it isn’t raining], to receive the cat.

How do I get the horse?
You can get the horse usually between Summer - Fall of the first year. Make sure that you’re friends with Takakura and shipping dairy products regularly. Also, it is recommended to buy a few things [OTHER than animals] from the Ledger, such as tools.

How do I get the ducks?
Purchase the Pond from the Ledger before the first Summer of your second year. If you have the Pond before then, when the first Summer of Chapter Two comes, wake up after your wife on any given day in that Summer, and you will trigger a cinema scene. From this scene, you will have the option of keeping the ducks. Also, ducks are taken care of the same way as chickens are. But, it is undecided if ducks lay their own eggs or not. You will never find an egg under a duck, but if you put one of the eggs a chicken is sitting on in the incubator, sometimes it will be a duckling.

How do I get the Chihuahua?
You can’t. The ability to receive the Chihuahua is a fast-spread rumor. You also cannot get the lizard, turtle, owl, or the raccoon.

Mini FAQ on the Dog
Does it matter which dog I choose?
No.

How do I make my dog happy?
Put any sort of food in his food dish. When he eats it, a heart will appear above his head. Then out of pure affection for you, he’ll follow behind you when on the farm, if you’re in range.

How do I train my dog?
Regardless of what has been put into the instruction manual, the ability to train your dog was never actually implemented into the game. In other words, you can’t.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#6

The Three Special Ladies

Do I have to get married?
You don’t have to, but if you don’t, the game will end before you make it to Chapter Two.

I can’t find Muffy/Nami/Celia’s diary. Where is it?
Muffy’s Diary is in the plant in the top left corner of the bar.
Nami’s Diary is on the table in her hotel room.
Celia’s Diary is under her bed in Vesta’s house, on the top floor.

I’m trying to marry Celia.. Help?
It doesn’t take much to woo her, but talk to her and Vesta regularly. Also, giving Celia a flower or two each day boosts her affection for you quite a bit.

I’m trying to marry Muffy.. Help?
Just like Celia, it doesn’t take too much. Just talk to her regularly, buy a drink occasionally from the Blue Bar, and give her a lot of flowers.

I’m trying to marry Nami.. Help?
Although she’ll seem cold at first and that may decrease your confidence, try to talk to her nonetheless. She likes items from the mine and Light Pickles. Light Pickles is a simple recipe that you can make in the Salad group with just one turnip. And in the Fall, you can find Trick Blue Flowers, which she also likes. You can find several of them near Gustafa's hut.

Van, the Traveling Salesman

Who’s Van, and where can I find him?
Van’s a traveling salesman who frequents your town. He will always show up on the 3rd and the 8th of each season, and occasionally, on random other days. He’ll usually come to town at about noon.

I got that bear from Van.. What’s the point in it?
It doesn’t do anything other than trigger a cut-scene later in the game, and even then, the cut-scene can be repeated multiple times.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#7

Special Items Guide

What’s a Ledger, and where is it?
The Ledger is used to purchase things that can be used on the farm. From the Ledger, you can buy cows, bulls, chickens, roosters, chicken feed, tools, add-ons to your farm, and other various items. It’s in the storage room, near your house. Once you walk in there, you should see a few boxes. Near the blue and white shipping bin, you will see a booklet on some boxes. That’s the Ledger.

Also, the shipping bin that was previously mentioned, is used to sell dairy products. Place a dairy product in it [such as milk or eggs], and the next day, click on the small, bottom left button to go your earnings. In there, you can collect your profits.

How do I get the strange, weird, and other tools?
Weird Hoe - Enter the building next to Vesta’s shed or the house when only she is in there, at around noon. [You must be friends with her] It can take a while to trigger.
Strange Hoe - Befriend both Ruby and Tim, and walk into their room in the Inn early in the morning [around 8 am; soon after they have both awoken]. Then, talk to Tim to receive the Strange Hoe.
Weird Sickle - You can receive the Weird Sickle in Chapter Two from Dr. Hardy [you must be friends with him] by entering his house.
Strange Sickle - You can receive the Strange Sickle from Gustafa, after you have befriended him. Simply enter his yurt while he is in there. From experience, I would try it at around noon.
Watering Can W - Befriend Romana and walk into her room while she is in there.
Wool Clippers - Befriend Wally and walk into his house while he is in there.
Fishing Rod G - After you have befriended Galen [Chapter Two or later], go into his house in early morning [around 6 AM] to receive the Fishing Rod G.
Goat Milker - When you purchase the goat, you will get a free Goat Milker.

How and where do I get the alarm clock?
You can receive the alarm clock in Chapter Two from Grant. You don't have to befriend him, though you do need to talk to him first. To get the alarm clock scene, I’d suggest stopping by to visit him early in the morning [around five AM].

I heard that you can get the Seed Maker from Daryl. How?
Befriend him [by giving him items that he likes, such as Gold Coins and fish * it will take a while to befriend him, however], then go into his laboratory/house while he is in there to trigger the scene.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#8

Crops and Trees Guide

Where do I get seeds?
Cross the bridge near your farm, and you’ll see small plots of land with seasonal crops growing. Talk to one of the three characters there [Marlin, Celia, or Vesta] to purchase crop seeds and fertilizer.

What does fertilizer do?
Fertilizer increases the rank of your crops. There are three ranks to vegetables and fruits: A, B, and S. S being the best, B being the worst. Do NOT use more fertilizer than what is needed. Meaning, after you have place fertilizer on a crop, do not place any more on the crop until that amount of fertilizer has completely dissolved.
To get a crop to the rank of S from B rank, use about ten fertilizers on the crop. Or use about five for A rank.
To get a tree to S rank from a B rank, sixty fertilizers are needed. Or, thirty to get to A rank from B rank.

How often do I need to water my crops?
Enough to keep your crops wet for most, if not all, of the day. Usually two or three times. If it’s raining, you do not need to water your crops.

** Note: You do not need to water your trees.

When is it okay to plant certain crops, and what seasons can they survive through? And also, when do my trees provide fruit?
Trees
Peach Trees: Summer
Banana Trees: Summer
Orange Trees: Summer
Apple Trees: Fall
Grapes: Fall

You may plant trees in any season, however, they’ll only provide fruit during the season listed next to them.

Crops
Carrots: Fall and Winter
Melons: Summer and Fall
Potatoes: Spring and Winter
Strawberries: Spring, Fall, and Winter
Sweet Potatoes: Fall only
Tomatoes: Spring, Summer, and Fall
Turnips: Summer, Fall, and Winter
Watermelons: Spring and Summer

How should I space my trees?
Trees must have at least the eight surrounding spots of soil empty. Example:

X = Tree
O = Empty space of soil

OXOXOXOXOXO
OOOOOOOOOOO
OXOXOXOXOXO
OOOOOOOOOOO
OXOXOXOXOXO

How long does it take for my trees to produce fruit?
It’ll generally take around 30 days for your tree to become fully grown.

My tree has flowers on it.. But where’s the fruit?
One season before your tree will produce fruit, flowers will blossom on it.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#9

Raising Your Son

What are the six careers that my son can pursue?
Musician, Artist, Athlete, Farmer, Rancher, or Scholar.

Mini FAQ on Encouraging Your Son
I want my son to become a rancher.. What do I show him?
In Chapter Two, bring your child to the barn and chicken coop frequently and show him the animals. It's also a plus if you have one of each animal [this includes the goat].

I want my son to become a farmer.. What do I show him?
Show him things such as flowers that you find, your crops, seeds, and animals. Keep in mind that there’s a thin line between rancher and farmer, so to be sure to show him crops and seeds often and frequently. As a baby, bringing him out into the fields with your crops is recommended.

I want my son to become an artist.. What do I show him?
Although there isn’t much that is known to help increase the odds of your son becoming an artist simply by showing him items, encourage him to play with the scratchpad [Chapter Two]. Also, befriend Cody and at about Chapter Three, you can receive a sculpture from him to place in your house.

I want my son to become a musician.. What do I show him?
Befriend Gustafa to receive a drum from him. Once you have that, you can show it to your son to encourage him. Also, befriend Lumina to receive a music sheet from her, that you can also show to your son.

Gustafa’s Gift: From experience, I remember befriending him [talking to Gustafa regularly] and after a while, going inside of his yurt and talking to him. Upon talking to him, he offered the drum to me.
Lumina’s Gift: After befriending Lumina [giving her flowers, talking to her regularly, etc.], head upstairs while she’s in her room and talk to her. She’ll offer the music sheet to you.

I want my son to become a scholar.. What do I show him?
Ore and other items from the mine, and bringing him to the mine itself. You can also receive a necklace from Flora [Ch. Three] that you can show to your son that also encourages him towards becoming a scholar. Taking your son to Daryl's lab as well as encouraging him to play with the toy car helps too. It's also helpful to befriend Carter, Flora, and Daryl.

I want my son to become an athlete.. What do I show him?
Although as far as I’m aware, there isn’t much you can show your son to encourage him to become an athlete. However, you can purchase the ball from Van in Chapter Two to give to your son to play with. But otherwise, try to befriend Hugh and Wally.

*Keep in mind that which of the three ladies you married alters the odds of what your son will be.*
Example: The chances of your son becoming a rancher when married to Celia is already much higher than him becoming a scholar from the start.

The Harvest Moon Sprites

The Harvest Sprites talked about collecting “good things” to get the Harvest Goddess to appear.. But, what do I do?
Nothing. The Harvest Goddess never makes an appearance in the game.

Do Nic, Nak, and Flak ever help me?
Unfortunately, they only help you with two things. Fencing your first pregnant cow and setting up the calf hutch.

So I got the cut-scene with the HM Sprites, saying that they would give me the Blue Feather, but I can’t find it. Where is it?
In the cabinet in the storage room next to the barn.

Luckiergirl
10 years ago#10

Buildings and Additions

Pond: One of the cheaper additions to your farm; its purpose is opening the ability to receive the ducks. For more on ducks, refer to the Animals Guide [Post 4].

Seed Maker: Purchasing the Seed Maker from the Ledger is the first way of getting it. You can also receive one from Daryl the scientist. Refer to the Special Items Guide to learn how to receive it. The Seed Maker is used to put fruits or vegetables in to receive bags of seeds for them. A quick and useful piece of machinery.

Food Processing Room: A building connected to the storage room. Used to make cheese and butter with milk.

Milking Room: A room to.. Milk your cows. At first, you will have to push your cows in through the doors, but eventually, they’ll learn to go in on their own to be milked.

1. Boards
  2. Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
  3. AWL Board FAQ: Read before asking a question! * Updated * Spoilers *