• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden
  3. IMPORTANT! stage 36 lethal bug and how i got around it

User Info: MoRmEnGiL

MoRmEnGiL
8 years ago#1
It is a well known bug as well:

In the second part of stage 36 Ryouma is supposed to launch in the getta dragon but instead nothing happens and you cannot progress in the game at all. Earlier during the intermission I tried buying a unit from the bazaar but got a "hangar is full" message. So i just sold a unit I never used and bought the one I wanted (not that I ever used the one I bought but I digress).

I went into the next stage and finished the first part with no trouble, then i got the chapter title screen and when it went back to the battlefield for part two... nothing happened. And after a while the screen went black but sound kept playing. Somehow, (given the G-bit bug in the earlier stage where if you kill more than a specific number of g bits the game freezes due to inability to create more units) I made the connection that maybe it has to do something with the hangar is full message i got earlier. So i loaded the save at the start and sold another unit, and finished the first part again and presto, the game continues normally!

TL;DR: If you get stuck at stage 36 part 2, try loading an earlier save and selling a unit or two, it worked for me.
War..
War never changes..

MoRmEnGiL
8 years ago#2
Ok, status update.

While the above trick made it possible to finish the stage, it seriously messes up the getta machines/pilots, and makes the shin getter unusable. Messing around with the save editor i noticed that in my pre 36 save the ryouma's dragon was listed as unmanned,and during the stage while his dialogue was there at al, the dragons sprite was not.

The save i made after this stage still had shin eagle unmanned and using the editor to set ryouma as it's pilot enabled me only to launch the three shin ships but not shin getter combined, and the three ships could not even combine in-battle.

So i went back and tried to re-do the shin getter robo stolen stage but this time i edited ryouma as the dragon's pilot, and voila, he appears normally in battle. When i finish this stage and move on to the next one i'll post if this worked and shin getter is usable as normal. If this whole mess is sorted maybe we should somehow include this info in some faq or sticky or whatever for new players.

I'm also fairly certain that this bug and the harry ord bug happen because of some weird unit limit, i.e. buying a lot of units or editing in extra ones causes this bug, so it should be pretty much avoidable. If someone is willing to test this post your findings here. I can provide saves (psxfin format but i guess this is convertable) at each and every intermission.
War..
War never changes..

User Info: Volcanon2

Volcanon2
8 years ago#3
You're probably right. There is a hard cap on units based on the size of a PS1 memory card.
Hack out some junk gundams (Kapuls and GMs) and see what happens, or you'll have these issues every time somebody joins.

MoRmEnGiL
8 years ago#4
Ooook, my battle with this particular bug is over. And I am the victor :P

After playing that blasted stage 36 10-11 times again and again while messing with the editor, I finally got it.

In order to avoid the bug and have proper use of shin getter there after,these things must be exactly how the are supposed to be(requires use of the save editor to check/correct):

1)Dragon,liger,poseidon must each have it's respective pilot assigned and NOT be unmanned. Same goes for Getta dragon, getta liger and getta poseidon. Each of those should not have the "present" box checked.

In my case while i edited in ryouma as the pilot of dragon which somehow was unmanned, i did not do the same for getta dragon which caused the dragon to appear in the stage and not the getta dragon.

2)Ryouma, Jin and Benkei should all three be main pilots with no parent pilot. Additionally the "present" box should be checked for all three.

In my case ryouma somehow was not "present" while the other three pilots were. Go figure "\_(O_o)_/"

3) Make sure that the unit roster is not filled. I.e. sell some units you never use. It would be an even better idea to avoid editing extra units in with the save editor in the first place, plus most bazaar units are really useless compared to the ones you get normally.

Pheww, I really hope that was the last of that ugly glitch and that it will not rear it's ugly hydra head again. If I have to play stage 36 ONE more time I think I will be sick.

Now I think I'll go grab a beer. Cheers!
War..
War never changes..

Volcanon2
8 years ago#5
Btw, it's "hayato", not "jin".

MoRmEnGiL
8 years ago#6
Heh, his name is Hayato Jin, and jin is a smaller word, so.. :P
War..
War never changes..

User Info: Shaded_Phoenix

Shaded_Phoenix
8 years ago#7
But you should be using Hayato, as you used the first names of the rest of the Getter Team.
The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.

MoRmEnGiL
8 years ago#8
Being too bored to type Hayato instead of Jin aside, I'm now at stage 43 with everything working ok and no further glitches, so the above is probably all you gotta do to de-glitch this game.
War..
War never changes..

Volcanon2
8 years ago#9
So I'm probably right that there's a memory limitation.

I should replay this game now that there's a memory editor. I played it on real hardware back in 2003 or so. Each and every gundam pilot in Hi-Nu Gundam would be fun.

MoRmEnGiL
8 years ago#10
You're obviously right about memory limitations, and those limitations probably seriously screw up the flags of various pilots and units, mostly the present, master/sub and pilot/unmanned flags.

Didn't like the Hi-nu gundam all that much though, it had trouble with it's weapon terrain ratings..

My favourite gundam units ended up being the Turn-A, V2 assault buster, Double X +G falcon (with g-bits) and Zeta with waverider attack.

On the other hand I had FAZZ, Sazabi with Quattro, GX with Jamil, Hi-nu with Amuro and Super gundam with Puru and Fa (4xRouse FTW) as utility gundams, which were very very useful with long range attacks, support, rouse, command, extra sat cannon and g-bits, map attacks.. many many uses.

Towards the end my gundams were doing most of the work, since the supers took too much damage, while the gundams simply dodged most of the time. Except Raideen which dodged almost like a real (I even gave it a haro :P)
War..
War never changes..
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden
  3. IMPORTANT! stage 36 lethal bug and how i got around it
  • Topic Archived