It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
1 year ago#351
#77 - Kino's Journey - https://myanimelist.net/anime/486/Kino_no_Tabi__The_Beautiful_World

The Slice of Life genre has a general reputation of being void of anything interesting happening, but there is a subset of Slice of Life that takes a slice of the life of someone who isn't a high school student. Kino is a person who travels around the world on a talking motorcycle, encountering strange cities and people. It's like a collection of fables - all of the individual stories are a little bit surreal and they all have some deeper meaning that they don't shove in your face.
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

User Info: Koopa-Dude94

Koopa-Dude94
1 year ago#352
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkL4CjckRZ0

The most relevant video that will ever be posted in this thread.
ha ha ha theo clown did walk
oh how he wished for a simpler gate

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#353
It's unavailable. :(

Watched the second episode of Princess Principal. Interesting twist at the end!

But it refused.

User Info: Koopa-Dude94

Koopa-Dude94
1 year ago#354
It was an anime intro for Spongebob Squarepants.
ha ha ha theo clown did walk
oh how he wished for a simpler gate

User Info: RetroYoshi4191

RetroYoshi4191
1 year ago#355
Here it is in a tweet if you missed it:

https://twitter.com/marynicolexx/status/900555512709660672
It's mine, it's all mine

JPKilla
1 year ago#356
#76 - Barakamon - https://myanimelist.net/anime/22789/Barakamon

I basically had to create my own genre for anime like Barakamon. They live in this weird space that sits between slice of life, comedy, and drama, and the main theme of the show is to follow a person through a substantial change in their life. How they deal with their situation, how they adapt to the changes, and how they grow from the experience, et cetera.

I absolutely love shows like these, and Barakamon is a solid example of one. A young, talented, city-slicker calligrapher is essentially exiled to a fishing village on a small island. That's basically the entire premise, and the events of the series are all just him getting along with the people and, to use a meaningless phrase, finding himself.

JPKilla
1 year ago#357
#75 - Tamayura - https://myanimelist.net/anime/10232/Tamayura__Hitotose

There's a not-often-mentioned genre that applies to Tamayura, called 'iyashikei', which basically just means 'healing'. It's pretty much what it sounds like - iyashikei are basically just feelgood stories, often featuring a main character who is going through some 'healing' themselves. In the case of Tamayura, the main character comes to terms with her father's death by immersing herself in her dad's hobby, photography.

As a point of interest, Tamayura started off as an OVA series, then got a TV series, then got a late sequel TV series, and then got a four "movie" epilogue. The link is the first season of the TV series, but I was honestly only 'warm' on Tamayura until the very ending, which was actually probably one of the best endings to an anime story I've ever seen.

User Info: MarioPenguin5

MarioPenguin5
1 year ago#358
Huh. That actually sounds like a really cool genre! Are there other examples of shows like that? Humanity Has Declined almost feels like a healing anime, but it's more a coming-to-terms show than what that sounds like.

After two months of not watching anything, I think I've got my next show pegged. Hyouka. I'm pretty sure it was fairly popular, but I only found it when looking up "anime like SNAFU" (still waiting on season 3). I've seen one episode and I already like the three main characters. The sidekick guy is one of the best I've seen; he perfectly shows off his smarts with jokes without being obnoxious about it. And the art is beautiful. Those scenes where Houtarou gets caught in her web of hair are dazzling. It's the first show since Anohana I'm excited to watch. No offense to Scum's Wish or anything, that show is incredible, it's just too hard to watch to be excited about.
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!

JPKilla
1 year ago#359
Iyashikei is amazing. Aria the Animation is the best in the genre, for which I can't really give a good short description of, short of "gondolas on Mars". Tamayura is a good example. Yama no Susume is in the thread, and is about "mountain climbing". It's less "mountain climbing" and more "hiking up mountains". Flying Witch is about a witch who moves to the country. Non Non Biyori is about a city girl who moves to the country. Amanchu is by the same author as Aria, and is about scuba diving.

Hyouka is also a fantastic show. Not to bring you down, but the first couple episodes are drastically better than most of the ones in the middle, especially with regards to its artistic imagination like the scene with Chitanda's hair (which also immediately sold me on the show). Of course, even at its worst, Hyouka's still a greatly entertaining show. Enjoy it!

And yeah, I also know the feeling of shows that can be hard to watch or be excited about. It's actually how I felt about most of Aria my first time through (except the entire final season, which had me at the edge of my seat).

I think it's interesting that you key in on characters I give very little thought to. While I recall "sidekick guy" being a good character, I don't remember much about him at all...

JPKilla
1 year ago#360
#74 - Sakura Trick - https://myanimelist.net/anime/20047/Sakura_Trick

One of my more shameful guilty pleasures - it's basically a romantic slice of life with a fair amount of tame fanservice. Typically, fanservice is one of the fastest ways for me to hate a show, but I have to admit that there is a certain level or style of it that actually does just straight up appeal to me and make a show more enjoyable, and Sakura Trick is one of those rare shows that did it. Because of that it's hard for me to say this objectively, but there was something underneath that had some substance - the characters were all actual people, and there was a sort of overarching theme that tied the little stories together pretty well.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Happy 11th of April!!Jodi1112610/21 9:15PM