It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
1 year ago#341
#80 - Moshidora - https://myanimelist.net/anime/9693/Moshidora

What would happen if a high school baseball team manager read Drucker's Management book? That's more or less the translation of the full title of the original story, and is a pretty apt summary of what you're going to get. It's basically a clever way of tying business management practices into baseball management practices, while telling a pretty dramatic story beneath it - the main character took over managing the team from her best friend, who was hospitalized at the start of the season.
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

JPKilla
1 year ago#342
Aria is apparently getting a dub. While the kickstarter is already funded, I'm strongly considering chipping in for stretch goals/swag. I don't even know if I want a dub for it - Akari's voice actor and Athena's singing (if they even dub that - songs typically aren't dubbed) leave huge gaps to fill.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160939828/lets-dub-aria-the-animation

Regardless, the extra visibility this would give the show is really really nice.

User Info: RetroYoshi4191

RetroYoshi4191
1 year ago#343
Imagine having five thousand dollars to blow for a voice role in a kickstarter-funded dub. I suppose if you do, you deserve it. And it looks like one person really did do it.

I guess it'd only be for an extra with two or three lines in a single episode, since there's no telling what someone with a spare five grand lying around might sound like.
It's mine, it's all mine

JPKilla
1 year ago#344
I like Aria enough that I'd almost consider it, but I really feel that guest voice spots like that really sully the original work - especially since they're claiming to be putting forth as much effort and care to detail as they can. Oh well, best case scenario we never notice it.

User Info: MarioPenguin5

MarioPenguin5
1 year ago#345
I read through Tegami Bachi in three days. It's not the sort of manga I'd choose nowadays, but it debuted in one of the seven Shonen Jumps I bought back when they were around so I felt obligated to one day read through it. When I first tried a few years ago, it wasn't finished, so I waited until now to try again.

For those unaware, Tegami Bachi follows a 12 year old Lag Seeing and his life as a Letter Bee. A letter bee is a government official who delivers letters across the world of the story. There is a hell of a lot more complexity to this setting, but that's the gist of it.

If Bakuman has taught me anything, it's that choosing the right magazine for your manga is the most important step. Tegami Bachi should not have been in Shonen Jump. It caused the manga to be pulled in two different directions. One was a decent Shonen manga if it focused clearly on young Lag working as a Letter Bee with his "detective" power. The other was a more mature manga that could've focused on the more complex class revolution plot in the very detailed setting of the Amberground. Instead, by incorporating both strands, Tegami Bachi fails to have its cake and eat it. The gratuitous panty shots of 12 year old girls in the same chapters as very strong female nudity (I'm extremely serious about that phrase) sums up why it just doesn't work.

Furthermore, the pacing is horrendous. I imagine that the author got told to finish the story within X more chapters (probably 20) and he did all he could to provide some sort of conclusion. Two-thirds in, the reader is told that Lag needs to find all five people born on a certain day to save the world. He doesn't. The crazy thing is, the very last chapter has one of the characters pointing that out to him. It doesn't mean anything in the end. At the very least, I can't imagine it ending any other way. It just should've had more time to reach that ending.

There are some good scenes here and there. I genuinely enjoyed when it tried to be a Shonen manga the most. Any straightforward arc of Lag getting a letter and delivering it had great character moments. And, though I know the type of "little girl" character of Niche is skeevy, I liked her a lot. In the end, I think Tegami Bachi creates a fascinating world and has glimmers of brilliance, but its choice of audience and pacing does a lot to bring it down.
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!

User Info: Koopa-Dude94

Koopa-Dude94
1 year ago#346
I wish I had enough money that I could "almost consider" spending 5k on something like that. I have spent a few hundred on a couple kickstarters before, though. I'll be appearing as a character in Escape From Jesus Island, a comic book series I love. In the upcoming issue, I'll be one of a few guards who shows up in a scene, and will later reappear in a huge fight scene where I'm on either end of a brutal kill.
ha ha ha theo clown did walk
oh how he wished for a simpler gate

JPKilla
1 year ago#347
I imagine that probably happens to manga way more often than I explicitly know. The art industry is rough if you want to try to earn a living doing it - and a lot of times the way to do that is to give up a bit of your artistic integrity to make your publisher or your readers happy, even if it goes against where you wanted to take the work.

You only really see some of the crazy stand-outs in the industry with the freedom to do whatever they want. Everyone else is kinda stuck...

Depressing to think about, really.

JPKilla
1 year ago#348
#79 - Love Lab - https://myanimelist.net/anime/16353/Love_Lab

I like shows with somewhat perverted female main characters. It's not that I particularly like characters like that, it's just that anime is typically so sexually repressed that every girl and woman have this same nervous and somewhat resisting attitude towards physical intimacy. So when they go against that trend and have realistic female characters in that regard, it's refreshing. On top of that, Love Lab is just a genuinely charming school comedy.

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#349
Watched the first episode of Princess Principal as it came highly recommended by the panelists when I attended Otakon.

I'm itching to keep watching but I discovered that episode 7 has only just recently come out, so if I give into my inner urges, I'm going to binge the remaining six episodes and then be sad waiting for the next installment.

But it refused.

JPKilla
1 year ago#350
#78 - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - https://myanimelist.net/anime/14515/Sasami-sanGanbaranai

There's a phrase I'll use sometimes, typically to describe a short scene or a character or a plot synopsis. Things like that. That phrase applies to pretty much this entire series. That phrase is "anime as f***" - something that is just completely submerged in the fabric of anime, or at least the stereotypical image of what an anime is. Everything that happens in this series is just absurd and it's heavily flavored with the legend of Amaterasu. It just doesn't get much more Japanese than this.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Happy 11th of April!!Jodi1112410/14 10:47PM