• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
1 year ago#331
#86 - Kaiji - https://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Gyakkyou_Burai_Kaiji__Ultimate_Survivor

In order to follow the story, you really need to maintain your suspension of disbelief. Every story arc escalates from the previous one in increasingly ridiculous ways with increasingly ridiculous plot contrivances. Yet somehow, each arc manages to be so compelling and exciting to watch. Basically, every arc is some form of eccentric gambling in which strategies, probabilities, and cheats exist and slowly become apparent. Almost like a proper mystery novel, viewers are given enough of the rules and clues to work those out for themselves. I have a weakness for shows that give pieces of brain candy like that for me to munch on while watching, and that's probably why it was so compelling, despite its accidental silliness.
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

JPKilla
1 year ago#332
#85 - Dagashi Kashi - https://myanimelist.net/anime/31636/Dagashi_Kashi

I get an abnormal amount of enjoyment from learning useless factoids, and Dagashi Kashi was chock full of those. It's a comedy that centers around a Japanese penny candy (dagashi) store, and each half-episode focuses on a single candy. The jokes are all set in the context of the candy, and in the process it goes a little bit into its history and culture. The story was basically just a pretext, but the characters were pretty endearing, so it worked pretty well as a comedic slice-of-life.

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#333
Watched all twelve episodes of Sword Oratoria tonight, the side-story to Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

In the original series, I disliked the MC until at least a few episodes in, and I disliked the female lead for being very bland.

However, not only does Sword Oratoria completely flesh out the female lead, Aiz, but it introduces relatively smoothly another female character (Lefiya) that would have felt completely out of place in the main series, yet is an important addition to Sword Oratoria especially and particularly because of her growth as a character, which is arguably more drastic than the growth of the female lead, Aiz.

The fight scenes were phenomenal and arguably more plentiful than the original series.
They also get a bonus for really putting in that party vibe (especially since the original series didn't have much in the way of a main party) that mixes the pros from the original series with pros from fight scenes from shows like Log Horizon.

I had heard mixed reviews about the show; however, I greatly enjoyed it.

Cons would be the usual fanservice that makes one think twice before watching this alongside family members and a bit of muddledness regarding the villains that I assume is addressed much better in the light novels.

e: This, of course, means that I've activated my 7-day free trial of Anime Strike through Amazon (but I only have tomorrow and Wednesday to use it as I'm going out of town Thursday).

But it refused.

JPKilla
1 year ago#334
LightningYoshi posted...
e: This, of course, means that I've activated my 7-day free trial of Anime Strike through Amazon (but I only have tomorrow and Wednesday to use it as I'm going out of town Thursday).

I've been really surprised that Amazon is going in so big with anime. They've got exclusive rights on a surprising number of shows this season.

JPKilla
1 year ago#335
#84 - Tatami Galaxy - https://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei

This marks the first anime in the list that I think is way better on a technical level than I was able to appreciate. I sometimes struggle to describe things, but Tatami Galaxy has such a unique style that I don't think I stand a chance doing it justice. "Stylistic" is certainly the word I would use to describe it. It's very difficult to "get", and that might be why I didn't enjoy it as much, because I didn't really understand it. But even so, I have to recognize its creativity. All I can really hope is that its relatively high rating, despite my not enjoying it as much, says something about its overall quality.

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#336
Watched all twelve episodes of Eromanga-sensei tonight.

I really enjoyed it, although it does fall into that questionable category considering its a step-brother/step-sister anime (which I found out was by the creator of OreImo, which I'm sure has been mentioned here before).

As such, I feel like JP may not have enjoyed it. As for me, I've been slightly more inspired to get back to writing, and I do believe the step-sister is insanely adorable, likely surpassing even Shiro from NGNL in my eyes. Again though, certain moments made it not-so-family-friendly (despite being very "family" oriented, if you know what I mean).

e: Oh! And it was very harem-y.. which usually doesn't sit well with me. I don't prefer when more than two girls are interested in the MC, so I tended to disassociate during any confessions after the confession by Elf.

But it refused.

JPKilla
1 year ago#337
Man, you binge stuff hardcore. I can't keep up...

Yeah, OreImo is my #87. I forgot about that shorter "title" for it. But yeah, it sounds like I wouldn't enjoy Eromanga-sensei.

JPKilla
1 year ago#338
#83 - Danganronpa - https://myanimelist.net/anime/16592/Danganronpa__Kibou_no_Gakuen_to_Zetsubou_no_Koukousei_The_Animation

Danganronpa is probably my definition of a solidly above-average anime. The story is pretty good, the characters are pretty interesting, the mystery and intrigue are pretty compelling, it does some unique things artistically… While I can't give a glowing endorsement of any particular aspect, I also can't really pick at any major flaws. It's just overall a Pretty Good murder mystery.

JPKilla
1 year ago#339
#82 - True Tears - https://myanimelist.net/anime/2129/True_Tears

P.A. Works tends to have the same sorts of strengths and weaknesses in all of their shows. The artwork and attention to detail in backgrounds and animation is absolutely stellar, even though all that's really happening in True Tears is a high school romance story. The way they tell the story is well-done, but the story itself and the ending are all somewhat lackluster. While I called it a high school romance, True Tears is anything but a lewd shenanigan will-they-won't-they love story. It's actually a pretty serious drama, and at least slightly more intelligent than your normal comedic high school romance story.

JPKilla
1 year ago#340
#81 - Hanayamata - https://myanimelist.net/anime/21681/Hanayamata

The thing that surprised me most about Hanayamata was how crazy melodramatic it got. I was sold on it being a cutesy anime about a dancing club, but wow… They really dive into rough patches in people's lives and relationships with each other. Even though I do tend to prefer drama over comedy, I greatly preferred the lighter parts of Hanayamata, and I really enjoyed the music and dancing that filled those parts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Happy 11th of April!!Jodi1114011/30 11:59PM