• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
1 year ago#321
#92 - My High School Love Comedy SNAFU - https://myanimelist.net/anime/14813/Yahari_Ore_no_Seishun_Love_Comedy_wa_Machigatteiru

SNAFU was simultaneously a little too real and a little too anime. One the one hand, all of the characters were terrifically terrible people. They all had specific strengths and weaknesses, and those personality traits were incredibly effective at driving the progression of the various stories, and gave them all a line of consistency throughout. However, despite the characters meeting and all the things that happen between them, none of them change or develop, and that makes anything involving the overarching theme really frustrating to watch.
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

User Info: MarioPenguin5

MarioPenguin5
1 year ago#322
There's going to be a season three someday that'll fix every single problem! I swear! It's going to happen!

...it better happen. I really love SNAFU.

As for the rest of the list, dang, I can't believe you've even watched 101 anime series, let alone be able to rank them. I can't ever rank games or shows beyond general like/dislike. Mostly because whatever I play/watch ends up being completely worth the time it took to do. For instance, I like basically each Phoenix Wright game equally and could never rank them 1-7 like some can. Except for JFA, which is last.
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!

JPKilla
1 year ago#323
MarioPenguin5 posted...
As for the rest of the list, dang, I can't believe you've even watched 101 anime series, let alone be able to rank them. I can't ever rank games or shows beyond general like/dislike. Mostly because whatever I play/watch ends up being completely worth the time it took to do. For instance, I like basically each Phoenix Wright game equally and could never rank them 1-7 like some can. Except for JFA, which is last.

That's probably a more normal experience. I don't know why I've gotten so into rating anime, but I wrote a program that helps me do it, and without that I wouldn't have been able to make the list.

I've considered doing the same thing for games I've played, but it's always been a non-starter. I still might still do it one of these days, but probably not.

JPKilla
1 year ago#324
#91 - Rec - https://myanimelist.net/anime/710/Rec

A number of anime get a free bonus point or two just because they feature adults instead of high school students, and that's probably the case for Rec. It's basically an above-average romantic comedy featuring somewhat more mature romantic themes and a character who idolizes Audrey Hepburn. It can be hard for me to convey why my saying "above-average" is a high compliment, but it really is. Rec is just all-around and solidly above-average, and it's hard to find shows like that.

JPKilla
1 year ago#325
#90 - Haibane Renmei - https://myanimelist.net/anime/387/Haibane_Renmei

Haibane Renmei created such a unique and mysterious setting, and I got so immersed into it and the lives of these people living there. The people are all reminiscent of angels (complete with wings and halos), and it leads you to believe the world has something to do with the afterlife. A huge amount of time is spent following a new arrival in this place as she tries to fit in with the strange culture, while also trying to uncover the mysteries of the place.

I can respect a story that creates an unusual setting or a weird premise and doesn't bother to explain how or why it came to be. But Haibane Renmei was different. So much story time was spent in the process of uncovering the secrets of the world, only to not deliver any sorts of answers or explanations by the end. Maybe it's a case of the anime stopping short before the manga finished. Maybe it’s a case where I need to better appreciate that not every mystery you try to solve will actually be solved. It was still frustrating either way.

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#326
Absolutely amazing show that was completely ruined by Bloo

Actually, that's rather accurate.

I intend to eventually watch Girls und Panzer.

I haven't seen SNAFU, but I remember MP5 mentioning it enough that I associate it with him, just like I do that anime.. Working..?

Like how I associate Snow White with JP.

e: The stuff for my Kazuma cosplay are all finally in. It's rough-looking, but it's good enough.

I had planned to binge My Hero Academia and maybe Dragon-maid and/or Little Witch Academia before Otakon, but now that it's Otakon-eve, there's no time (it will apparently take me 12-13 hours to finish MHA).

But it refused.

JPKilla
1 year ago#327
LightningYoshi posted...
I intend to eventually watch Girls und Panzer.

You're very likely to like it.

Like how I associate Snow White with JP.

Not Don Don Donuts? I guess it's all for the best, though. I'm still a little bit in love with Shirayuki.

JPKilla
1 year ago#328
#89 - Strawberry Marshmallow - https://myanimelist.net/anime/488/Ichigo_Mashimaro

This is probably the dictionary definition of a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things show. It's basically just a guilty pleasure - I can't make an objective argument that this show has any real substance to it, but it is a genuine feel-good comedy that makes me laugh. Sometimes you just need something uncomplicated in your life.

JPKilla
1 year ago#329
#88 - Canaan - https://myanimelist.net/anime/5356/Canaan

Canaan is basically a typical action series, and I strongly dislike typical action. The story is a flaming trash fire, and most of the characters have no personality and are completely uninteresting. However, this was done by P.A. Works and, true to their style, the art was gorgeous and the animation was beautiful and detailed. On top of that, the character Canaan is a rare breed of badass female leads who gets to kick ass without being sexualized.

Another thing that drew me to the series originally is that the character Canaan is advertised as having synesthesia, which is probably the coolest phenomenon I've ever heard of. Unfortunately, the synesthesia in this anime is not accurate to the real-world phenomenon in the slightest - instead it's basically a superpower she has that she uses to, among other things, hack a bomb falling out of the sky and sniff out her lesbian lover after she got kidnapped.

JPKilla
1 year ago#330
#87 - My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute - https://myanimelist.net/anime/8769/Ore_no_Imouto_ga_Konnani_Kawaii_Wake_ga_Nai

For a show with such an absurdly stupid title, there's a surprising amount of substance in it. The characters are delightfully flawed, and the premise is extremely uncomfortable. Unfortunately, as it progresses, it begins falling victim to the tropes it was undermining earlier in the series - basically devolving into bland harem garbage.

This series features probably the only character in fiction that I absolutely hated at the beginning, yet grew to love as the series progressed, despite her not changing all that much. I think it says a lot for the writing of the show that it was able to develop a character less by having the character change, but by altering the perspective and frame through which I, the viewer, was seeing her.

As a point of interest, the OVAs are arguably more important to the story than the main series - if you watch the series without them, you're missing almost everything of value. The last few minutes of the last OVA, however, actually undermines the entire series, so you should try to skip that if you can.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Happy 11th of April!!Jodi1114011/30 11:59PM