It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

User Info: MarioPenguin5

MarioPenguin5
1 year ago#301
Hell yeah, let's get the cartoon chat in here. I self-deleted a post because I thought it was already super off-topic but I'm glad to see that y'all can be counted on. I agree with you KD about the "big four" of Nickelodeon shows. Personally, I only watched Spongebob with any desire and saw a bunch of Fairly Odd Parents due to it. Good analysis on FOP, KD. I didn't watch it long enough to get to that point of awful Flanderization but I saw it happening early on. I didn't see much Danny Phantom at all though I liked most of what I saw, and Jimmy Neutron was a show I saw maybe 2 episodes of. I think I played the home run derby game based on the show on Postopia.com (remember that?) for longer than I watched the show. But one of those episodes was the Cindy-Jimmy island episodes, and here we are.

I hadn't watched any Avatar until a friend forced me to watch all of it in two days a year ago... that was not a good way to watch it because I genuinely remember nothing from the binge. Like I said, Spongebob was the show I cared about. Just like everyone else, once the movie came out (which was and still is really good), I thought the show's quality dropped hard and stopped. Since that was the only show I watched on Nickelodeon, I never saw any of the other shows after that.

No, what I watched was Cartoon Network. Mostly for Toonami, but sometimes I'd watch the network in the daytime or give the new shows a try. I really liked Xiaolin Showdown's first season and a half before that show went downhill. Once Wuya was in a body and it shifted from the funny Jack Spicer stuff to more "serious" edgy crap with Raimundo's betrayal, it just... sucked. I missed it getting super crazy with the time stuff, so I caught a break there. Around that time, Ben 10 and Camp Lazlo were around. I wanted to get into Ben 10 but it never was on when I was interested, so I never bothered. Turned out that derailed heavily with time stuff (weird theme for these shows). I never really liked Camp Lazlo. No reason, just sucked. Same with Billy and Mandy (though I liked the movie???). The other sick show at that time was Ed Edd and Eddy which is rightfully beloved by everyone.

Once all those shows started wrapping up a few years later, the next waves came in. Chowder and Flapjack were too weird for me, but Class of 3000 and Total Drama Island were great. Outside of the Toonami block, they were the only shows I watched new episodes of every week. Class of 3000 always had a musical number that I liked and TDI was funny. Until it relied too heavily on Owen. And went to a new season. Huh, seems like every show's first season is better than the rest??? I'm definitely the first to notice this. Anyway, once Toonami went away, I just stopped watching TV shows altogether. I quit just before stuff like Adventure Time and Steven Universe came and I don't really have much desire to start them when I've got all these other shows on my plate. I'll finish White Album one day.
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
1 year ago#302
MarioPenguin5 posted...
No, what I watched was Cartoon Network.

This was me as well. But it looks like my prime time on Cartoon Network was quite a few years before yours. I only vaguely know of Camp Lazlo, Ben 10, Chowder and Flapjack, Class of 3000, and Total Drama Island... I remember seeing commercials for them and being 0% interested. I was in the era of Ed Edd & Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Cow & Chicken and so on. Though as I recall, a number of those era cartoons got god-awful reboots that I never actually saw.

The friend who introduced me to Invader Zim was also huge on Foster's Home of Imaginary Friends. Supposedly that one's really good, but it started it's run sometime around the time I stopped watching the network.

Teen Titans was another definite favorite of mine. I actually went through the whole series a few years ago - sort of in the same way I went through Pokemon where I just let it go in the background, more listening to it than watching it, but I think it did hold up.

Then obviously there was Samurai Jack. I own DVDs of the original four seasons and go through it every now and then - it's such an incredible series. I still haven't seen anything in the fifth season, but I'm just going to keep an eye out for the DVD set and just buy it - I've heard great things and I love the series, so this is one thing I absolutely don't mind buying blind.

I think on Cartoon Network, though, you gotta give it up for Looney Tunes and cartoons from those era - Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, and the like. I never thought about this back then, but for such old animation, it really holds up.

Huh, seems like every show's first season is better than the rest??? I'm definitely the first to notice this.

Yeah, for sure. Shows get a bunch of time to develop their best ideas before the first seasons starts, then they exhaust all of those ideas before it ends. After that, it either becomes stale from doing the same thing over and over, or it jumps the shark by trying to be different to keep interest. I'm sure I could find some counterexamples, but that's basically why I wish most shows would just do their first season, then the creator can move on to making something else.
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

JPKilla
1 year ago#303
Welcome to JP's Anime 101, a rundown of the top 101 anime series I've ever seen. The list will go from the lowest at #101, and slowly work its way up to the best of the best at #1.

The ordering is done by using my Score for each show, a number between 0 and 19 that's based 75% on an "objective" assessment, and 25% on how much I just subjectively liked watching it. For shows with the same Score, I used both data and some manual "feelings" analysis to order them up within that Score.

I chose 101 because that's how many series I've seen that have a Score of at least 12, which is a 7/10. Not all of them were particularly memorable, but many of them were, and I can say something positive about all of them. Note that this list does not include movies - just TV series.

JPKilla
1 year ago#304
#101 - Seiyu's Life - https://myanimelist.net/anime/29163/Sore_ga_Seiyuu

This came to us the season after Shirobako ended, so I came into this ready to watch something like Shirobako that focused on voice actors and voice acting. While that was true to a certain extent, it was just a case of the characters being less interesting, the story being less immersive, the comedy being less funny, and the drama less compelling. It's basically just Shirobako but less. So in a way that's a glowing endorsement of Seiyu's Life, but in a way it's not. Either way, it was pretty much an 'okay' show with a good premise, and I did enjoy the deep dive into the world of voice actors.

JPKilla
1 year ago#305
#100 - Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth- https://myanimelist.net/anime/9938/Ikoku_Meiro_no_Croisée_The_Animation

This was one of the first anime I watched as part of a season, right alongside Hanasaku Iroha in the summer of 2011. While I've always been an embarrassed sucker for Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows, one wouldn't be able to make the top 100 without having some substance. And in this case, the substance was culture shock - the setting is France in the late 1800's, and the main character is a young Japanese girl. So among all the cuteness, there's some cool stuff about a French market quarter adjusting to the industrial revolution, and a Japanese girl trying to adjust to French culture. Cute, touching, and just a little bit insightful.

User Info: LightningYoshi

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#306
Somewhere in the first ten minutes there was the highest-budget scene I've ever seen of a woman not wearing pants slowly getting up from sleeping on the floor

Yup, I know who that is.

Holy balls, you guys had a lot of discussion. Lemme try to get in on this.

I'm starting with Tux's post. Lemme just say I'm a big fan of the Jimmy Neutron TV show (and I used to have the movie memorized).

Danny Phantom was one of my favorite shows growing up. Lemme post something that I think is relevant - I agree with a majority of the points, and even though I disagree with the other points, it's still a well-made video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO95ZRrMSxw

Also, I follow Butch Hartman on YouTube, and he makes interesting videos (especially his Danny Phantom ones).

Fairly Odd Parents gets a lot of hate nowadays due to the addition of Poof (the fairy baby), the fairy dog (who was apparently taken away due to backlash I'm assuming), and now the added godchild.

The fairy baby got involved in a f***ing love triangle

Oh my...

Jimmy Neutron was a lot of fun, and I appreciated the crossovers with Fairly Odd Parents a la Jimmy Timmy Power Hour or whatever (which was rumored to be the conclusion to both series - but we know how that turned out).

Planet Sheen was okay. I'm not usually a fan of shows where a minor character becomes the protagonist, such as Finding Dory. I don't remember too much else about it, but I remember that there was a scene that I really liked. I don't remember anything else about the scene.

Oh! Lemme add that the Fairly Odd Parents movie Channel Chasers is very, very well-regarded in the community apparently (the special where Timmy and Vicky travel through TV channels).

*watching Retro's video link*
Ahhhh, watching this reminds me that we were discouraged from watching SpongeBob because apparently Squidward's face looks like.. a... certain male object.

I have consistently heard from multiple people that the show dropped in quality after the movie. I've watched a good number of episodes after the movie, and I think the show really dropped in quality around the time of that "Where's Gary?" special or episode or whatever that was.

Something that irked me (that KD kinda touched upon) was the lack of continuity, especially regarding Neptune.

Invader Zim

I never really got into it - I saw one episode or two that I didn't really take to, but I can confirm that cult following.

Band Geeks

I also see a lot of consistently high praise for Band Geeks.

Avatar and Doctor Who are my top favorite shows of all time, I believe.

I will make a second post for Cartoon Network.

But it refused.

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#307
Cartoon Network

I really, really liked Xiaolin Showdown. Easily a top favorite show of mine. I will even say "Gong Yi Tampai" before certain things.

They made a sequel to Xiaolin Showdown. Because it was based in Canada, they could only retain the Canadian voice actors. They also had to change the names of the Shen Gong Wu and recolor portions of Dojo the dragon.

I am a very positive person. I start with that because the sequel was terrible. They introduced a mini-Omi with racist undertones. There were other things that didn't go well.

Ben 10 I watched heavily. I got well into the "sequel," Alien Force, as well as whatever was after that. I really liked the dynamic between Ben, Gwen, and Kevin. I stopped watching around the time that the Ben 10/Generator Rex (which looked like a cool show) crossover happened.

Symbionic Titan looked like it had potential..

Megas XLR was also a show I really took to. They had originally pitched to MTV, who turned them down, so throughout the show, they regularly make derogatory references to an MTV-esque company.

I didn't like Camp Lazlo. I disliked Billy and Mandy. I detest Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

Chowder was great. Flapjack was odd, but I appreciated some of that stuff as well as the creativity when it came to animation (same applies to Chowder).

I really enjoyed Total Drama Island. The sequel was still funny, but not as good, in my opinion.

Although I'm in my mid-20s, I didn't grow up with the shows that many of my peers (such as JP) grew up with, such as Dexter's Lab, Courage (I've only seen the mummy episode), Cow & Chicken (looked disturbing), etc.

I reeeeeeally really like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. A lot of smart humor there.

Teen Titans was my jaaaaaaaaaam. Man, I had such a great time with that.

I need to watch Mystery Incorporated.. It was a smart Scooby-Doo series that was drastically different from the other series before it and had an overarching storyline. I only remember stuff about dinosaurs, unless I'm mixing that up with Gravity Falls, which is AMAZING.

Not counting the infamous CN Live era (or whatever it was called,) there are multiple excellent shows on Cartoon Network nowadays.

Regular Show used to be on. I haven't watched the finale, but it was solid.

The Amazing World of Gumball is easily I think the best series on the channel (not counting Steven Universe, if that's on that channel, which I haven't really watched). It has a lot of smart humor, and the animation style lends itself to many creative applications.

But it refused.

JPKilla
1 year ago#308
#99 - Kill la Kill - https://myanimelist.net/anime/18679/Kill_la_Kill

Kill la Kill is a great example of a well-liked show that just didn't click with me. It heavily features three things that turn me off pretty quickly - a really weird and contrived plot, a focus on action, and fanservice. But Trigger has a particular style, and for some reason that style does click with me. The characters were this perfect level of quirky and off-the-wall, and the action's animation was actually just great. By making a concerted effort to not take this show very seriously, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

JPKilla
1 year ago#309
LightningYoshi posted...
Somewhere in the first ten minutes there was the highest-budget scene I've ever seen of a woman not wearing pants slowly getting up from sleeping on the floor

Yup, I know who that is.

It's a shame because she's actually an incredibly good character.

Planet Sheen was okay. I'm not usually a fan of shows where a minor character becomes the protagonist, such as Finding Dory. I don't remember too much else about it, but I remember that there was a scene that I really liked. I don't remember anything else about the scene.

Good side characters tend to thrive because they're side characters - so I imagine when a side character is made the protagonist of a spinoff, it falls apart as a general rule.

*watching Retro's video link*
Ahhhh, watching this reminds me that we were discouraged from watching SpongeBob because apparently Squidward's face looks like.. a... certain male object.

... Man.

I disliked Billy and Mandy. I detest Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

Whaaaaaaaa... I loved Ed, Edd, and Eddy when I was younger, but I think if I were to watch it now, nostalgia is literally the only thing that would hold it together.

Although I'm in my mid-20s, I didn't grow up with the shows that many of my peers (such as JP) grew up with, such as Dexter's Lab, Courage (I've only seen the mummy episode), Cow & Chicken (looked disturbing), etc.

Yeah, I was going to remark on that. Did you just get into the Cartoon Network scene late to the party or something? I'm vaguely familiar with all the titles you listed off, mostly because they were all being advertised right around the time I stopped watching Cartoon Network.

LightningYoshi
1 year ago#310
I believe I did get into it late. I'm sure if I had started younger, I would've taken a shine to Dexter and Powerpuff Girls. Oh, and Sailor Moon.

But it refused.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Happy 11th of April!!Jodi1112410/14 10:47PM