• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6

User Info: JPKilla

JPKilla
1 year ago#291
Second season's been pretty good so far. First episode pinnacled both my most and least favorite things about the series. Somewhere in the first ten minutes there was the highest-budget scene I've ever seen of a woman not wearing pants slowly getting up from sleeping on the floor, and somewhere in the last ten minutes there was a scene of two people looking at actual code, finding, then discussing an actual bug in that code.

Such glorious attention to detail. Such pointless, unnecessary fanservice.

Second episode already brought back one of my favorite themes of the last few episodes of the first season - since you haven't finished, I won't spoil it, but I will say that if it weren't for the excessive fanservice, New Game would've been riding real close to a 10/10 thanks to it.

I can't say I'm familiar with Spark. You should show off your fabulousness regardless.
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

User Info: MarioPenguin5

MarioPenguin5
1 year ago#292
Well I haven't watched any anime in a dang month due to other pastimes keeping me busy, but I did trick myself into watching two hours of Jimmy Neutron which might as well be an anime considering the tropes it uses. Also, no other topic to put it in.

I was looking for a specific episode where Jimmy and Cindy are on a tropical island together because I had seen it ten years ago and thought it was good and wanted to see it again. I thought for sure it was in the second, TV-only movie so I watched the whole hour and change thing only to not see it. Then I searched "Jimmy Neutron beach episode" and got one where they go to Egypt which didn't have it. Then I finally found the episode on the third try. By that time, it was like 1 am and I wasn't going to sleep without finding it.

To be honest, I was expecting a little more out of that scene in particular, but the rest of the show and all the other episodes were surprisingly good. Now, some jokes are definitely out of place in today's climate. For instance, the "you off your meds, Sheen?" stuff and Carl's character as a whole would be toned down. But most of the other jokes were really well executed. The Egypt episode starts with their class watching part 1 of a fake Ken Burns documentary on Egypt and my god is that joke completely on point. No other joke was as inspired, yet most punchlines landed well. The fake soap operas in the TV movie were nearly as good.

What makes it "basically an anime" is that each episode felt like something from a shonen. A shonen that wasn't tied down in one particular topic, mind you. I guess that makes it a "monster of the week" show, huh? Just the same cast of characters going around to different situations. Jimmy Neutron isn't quite as dumb as Naruto or any other MC but he constantly gets the gang into trouble. It was better than I was expecting. Except for, again, the reason I tried rewatching random episodes of it: Jimmy and Cindy's relationship. I saw on the internet one time long ago that the tsundere archetype was based on Cindy and uh it shows. Those two do nothing but fight in the first season episode I saw, then do basically the same while in front of each other in the second season stuff I watched, and then barely flirt with each other on the third season... which ends up with them becoming a couple anyway. Like I said, most of the other dialogue was well-written except here and some of the side characters. All in all, Jimmy Neutron holds up as a good animated comedy cartoon that I'd recommend. I'm not going to binge it, because that's not what I do, but it's pretty good!

Never thought I'd ever type that many words about Jimmy Neutron.
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!

JPKilla
1 year ago#293
MarioPenguin5 posted...
By that time, it was like 1 am and I wasn't going to sleep without finding it.

Oh man, I know that feeling. Lost so much sleep to it in the past...

I guess that makes it a "monster of the week" show, huh?

Monster-of-the-week shows are pretty typical of not only shounen, but of shoujo and a lot of American cartoons as well. Easier to string a series along when there's less of an overarching plot to worry about.

I saw on the internet one time long ago that the tsundere archetype was based on Cindy and uh it shows.

I mean, literally speaking the tsundere archetype existed long before Jimmy Neutron. One of the most prevalanet members of the tsundere club was Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion, which predates Neutron by three years, and I doubt she was the first.

I have heard good things about Jimmy Neutron, though. Interesting to see that it holds up. Did you used to watch a lot of it when you were younger, or was it more of an occasional thing and you just remembered one of those occasional scenes you saw?

User Info: Koopa-Dude94

Koopa-Dude94
1 year ago#294
I've talked with JP about Jimmy Neutron, and the other big Nickelodeon shows of back in the day before. You know what, I'm going to do that now. I'm going to give a rundown on what I always viewed as the Big Four shows on Nick: Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Oddparents, and Spongebob Squarepants. They're not anime, but f*** it, I don't get to post in this thread enough. In fact, I think these threads should be called "Anime (ft. other television media)".

Danny Phantom is by far the least familiar to me out of those shows. I've garnered that it was a great show, but that Season 7 (the final season) was by far the worst point of the show, and that the whole thing ended on kind of a lukewarm/"is that it?" note. I have at least one friend who views DP as one of her biggest inspirations, but overall I'm only kind of familiar with the show. The Box Ghost was cool.

Fairly Oddparents, also made by Butch Hartman. This show was...good. For a while. I would say the show's primary issue, even when it was good, was (to use a Trope) Flanderization: when a character's traits are exaggerated more and more over time to the point where they eventually completely dominate every other aspect of the character.

Early on in the show, Cosmo and Wanda were both kind of goofballs, but Cosmo was a little more reckless/fun and Wanda was a little smarter/more levelheaded. Cut to later in the show: Wanda is basically the huge stick in the mud, and is even referred to by the other characters as being naggy and unfun. Meanwhile, Cosmo's stupidity is so extreme it becomes the driving point of episodes where they couldn't think of a better way to run the plot. "Why did this problem happen? Because Cosmo's stupid." Vicky started off as a mean, but ultimately competent, babysitter, who cared about Timmy's wellbeing if for no other reason than "I'm in trouble if something happens to him." Later in the show, Vicky literally becomes evil incarnate, ruling the world at one point, and usually just straight up torturing Timmy because by that point in the show his parents simply didn't notice or care.

I do distinctly remember one character who went through actual character development, and by the end of the show was probably the most likable character in the whole cast: Mark Chang the alien. He was first introduced as a brain-eating alien, so he and the others of his species appeared as antagonists a few times. Eventually he reached an understanding with Timmy, and the two even became friends, to the point where the show even references at one point that Mark is really the only wish Timmy's made that's still on good terms with him. That's...kind of awesome. Mark eventually had to disguise as a human for plot reasons, and I think became a more common cast member.

But then, even on top of its Flanderization, the show went...bad. I'm hard pressed to thing of a show that jumped the shark more times than FOP. Cosmo gave birth to a fairy baby (male pregnancy is canon in FOP, confirmed). Timmy got a fairy dog. Timmy got a next door neighbor love interest (despite already having one of those). The fairy baby got involved in a f***ing love triangle. I stopped paying attention to the show years ago, but as far as I can tell it just got worse and worse over time. It's still going, by the way.
ha ha ha theo clown did walk
oh how he wished for a simpler gate

Koopa-Dude94
1 year ago#295
Now then, Spongebob...Spongebob holds a place near and dear to my heart. It was MY favorite show, for years and years. It is probably the most quotable show I've ever watched - to the point where I've joked about sitting JP down and forcing him to watch the show until he understands all my references. It is a solid chunk of my childhood, and I will forever love it for that...But holy f*** did it go to s***. For me, everything up to the first movie was great, and then the quality just took a nosedive after that. One episode in particular that pissed me off was one that introduced a character called Jim, the frycook who worked at the Krusty Krab before Spongebob. The punchline of the episode was "Haha, we only hired Spongebob because he was cheaper than Jim. Jim is actually better than Spongebob in every way, shape and form!" Ignore the episodes that established 1. Spongebob was hired because he fended off (read: fed) a busfull of anchovies who were attacking the restaurant, and 2. that Spongebob was such a good frycook that Neptune himself tried to make Spongebob a god just so that he could be his personal cook. Spongebob has the least amount of continuity by far of the four shows, so it's not like that's surprising, but it still felt like a gut punch. Spongebob, like FOP, is still going to this day. I'm sure it's had some good episodes here and there, but...Man, I'm nostalgic for the good old days.

Jimmy Neutron...In retrospect, I have so much respect for this show. It did one thing none of the other shows did: It ended before it went to s***. Granted, there were plans for a couple more seasons, so maybe it was less foresight and more "we literally are being cancelled", but still. Jimmy Neutron is the only one of the four that, in my opinion, consistently got better throughout its whole runtime. As Jodi mentioned, Jimmy and Cindy's relationship actually evolved over the course of the Seasons. It didn't do anything particularly new or interesting with the relationship that I remember, but the mere fact that there was actual character development seriously impressed me. While at the time I didn't view the show as being as good as Spongebob or Oddparents, in retrospect I think it has more consistent quality than either of them. It had genuinely funny moments, a sense of continuity, and wasn't afraid to get emotional every now and then.

Apparently Sheen got a spinoff show at some point. I haven't heard great things about that one.

JPKilla
1 year ago#296
Koopa-Dude94 posted...
In fact, I think these threads should be called "Anime (ft. other television media)".

I'm not opposed. I don't blather on about anime as much as I used to, so I don't need a whole topic dedicated to it.

It's [Fairly Oddparents] still going, by the way.

Holy crap, it is?

Spongebob, like FOP, is still going to this day.

... Holy crap, it is?

It did one thing none of the other shows did: It ended before it went to s***.

This is one of the reasons I don't stray out of anime much - a lot of TV shows (not just cartoons) do this because they're just milking it for money. Anime tends to have the opposite problem, though - they start the anime adaptation of a manga too soon, so the anime ends abruptly before there's really a proper ending.

Of course, a lot of the really popular anime run on and on and go to s***, but because I'm a hipster I don't watch those.

I never watched Danny Phantom or Jimmy Neutron, and I've only experience brief slices of Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents. I actually really liked what I did see of both of those, though, just not so much that I felt like going out of my way to watch more - I basically would just watch it over my sister's shoulder when she was watching it. It's interesting to read how both of those shows just kept running and then tanked, but I guess not all that surprising.

Did anyone hear watch Invader Zim? That was one that had a powerful cult following for a while. I never watched it when it was airing, and a friend in college showed me the first couple of episodes and I was pretty impressed.

Hm. For some reason I feel like I want to blather on about a bunch of anime I really like. Maybe I should make a Top 10 or Top 25 or something and blabber on about some really good titles. I usually don't like lists that extend past 5 or 10, but I kinda just want to write something for the sake of writing it.

Just went through my list. I have 101 series that I gave a score of 7+ (which actually blows my mind). Maybe I'll do a Top 100 and do one per day, just to give the topic some volume. I don't think there's anything going on this season that would work its way into the Top 100 and mess up the list

User Info: RetroYoshi4191

RetroYoshi4191
1 year ago#297
Koopa-Dude94 posted...
I always viewed as the Big Four shows on Nick: Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Oddparents, and Spongebob Squarepants.

Funny enough, those are pretty much the only four shows I remember about. Well, those, The Last Airbender, and I did watch that DBZ redub for a time. I'll admit that while I hadn't watched the original (and still haven't), the reason I started watching was to witness the full context of the "Over 9000" scene and see how it was redone. And then I just kept watching. Up until about just before the conclusion to the Cell saga.

the show went...bad. I'm hard pressed to thing of a show that jumped the shark more times than FOP. Cosmo gave birth to a fairy baby (male pregnancy is canon in FOP, confirmed). Timmy got a fairy dog. Timmy got a next door neighbor love interest (despite already having one of those). The fairy baby got involved in a f***ing love triangle. I stopped paying attention to the show years ago, but as far as I can tell it just got worse and worse over time. It's still going, by the way.

I think the only of those things I remember happening within the span of the show I watched was the baby. There was, like, an hour-long special on that. Which also reminds me that I used to play the little flash games on the Nickelodeon website as a kid, including one based around the episode where Timmy wishes himself into a video game with, quite literally, a "if you die in the game you die for real" plot. There was also a game based on the show Catscratch - which I remember nothing of the show, just the game. It beared a striking resemblance to Worms: WMD.

Now then, Spongebob...Spongebob holds a place near and dear to my heart. It was MY favorite show, for years and years. It is probably the most quotable show I've ever watched - to the point where I've joked about sitting JP down and forcing him to watch the show until he understands all my references.

I feel vindicated that I can make basically any Spongebob reference on this board or at the Glitz Pit and at least you would understand.

At my high school, Spongebob references were particularly abundant. I have a feeling it's to do with that generation (or at least four-year span) of people basically growing up with the show (debuted in 1999). It inspired me to rewatch a few notable episodes, and I have to say, I was both impressed with and amused by the... maturity of the dialogue, so to speak. Not to say that it's got a lot of double entendres or the like - though it does have some, it doesn't appear overly reliant - rather, a lot of it just sounds like things adults would say, and not kid's show characters. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eXU2p982GQ

(There are better examples, I'm sure, but this one works. This definitely went over my head as a kid, despite watching that particular episode pretty frequently).

Overall, I feel like I'm a pretty referential person. It's a huge staple of my brand of comedy (not to say I'm a professional comedian or anything). Anytime I say or hear something that sounds vaguely like a particular line in a movie, I usually end up reciting it.

But holy f*** did it go to s***. For me, everything up to the first movie was great, and then the quality just took a nosedive after that.

I hear a lot that the movie is generally the tip of the cliff, and the season afterwards is like the few moments that the Looney Tunes character continues to walk on the air before stopping, looking down, and then falling. There are a few post-movie episodes that I recall being decent, but none of them dive too far out.

In fact, I think I've even heard that the movie was intended to be the end of the show, but I assume money convinced the execs otherwise. Also, Ocean Man is actually a really good song, f*** the grubby, diseased memers.
It's mine, it's all mine

User Info: RetroYoshi4191

RetroYoshi4191
1 year ago#298
JPKilla posted...
Did anyone hear watch Invader Zim? That was one that had a powerful cult following for a while. I never watched it when it was airing, and a friend in college showed me the first couple of episodes and I was pretty impressed.

That show had a Sonic OCs and fanfiction-level cult following. I like the show (my older sister likes it more), but it's definitely got a somewhat niche sense of humor - darker for a kid's show, with an emphasis on the public masses being braindead stupid, and some non-sequiturs that may threaten the surface tension that keeps it from falling into "lul random xD" humor.

Hm. For some reason I feel like I want to blather on about a bunch of anime I really like. Maybe I should make a Top 10 or Top 25 or something and blabber on about some really good titles. I usually don't like lists that extend past 5 or 10, but I kinda just want to write something for the sake of writing it.
Just went through my list. I have 102 series that I gave a score of 7+ (which actually blows my mind). Maybe I'll do a Top 100 and do one per day, just to give the topic some volume. I don't think there's anything going on this season that would work its way into the Top 100 and mess up the list

I would honestly watch/read a 10/25 list if you made it. Okay, I admit top 25s are too much for me. I feel like 10 is the ideal number - or 5/5 if you're doing simultaneous best/worst lists.
It's mine, it's all mine

JPKilla
1 year ago#299
RetroYoshi4191 posted...
This definitely went over my head as a kid, despite watching that particular episode pretty frequently).

... I think that one must have gone over my head just now...

Overall, I feel like I'm a pretty referential person. It's a huge staple of my brand of comedy (not to say I'm a professional comedian or anything). Anytime I say or hear something that sounds vaguely like a particular line in a movie, I usually end up reciting it.

100% the same here.

darker for a kid's show, with an emphasis on the public masses being braindead stupid, and some non-sequiturs that may threaten the surface tension that keeps it from falling into "lul random xD" humor.

Man, this sounds awesome. Enough that I might actually try to dig this up and watch it sometime...

I would honestly watch/read a 10/25 list if you made it.

Hm... I hadn't considered trying to, like, talk through the list and show clips or whatever like a true Top 10 Lister. That could be interesting too, but I'm more into just writing it out and not putting in extra effort beyond that.

or 5/5 if you're doing simultaneous best/worst lists.

Oooooh. A Bottom 5 or Bottom 10 could be fun. I have a hard time explaining why I think something is terrible, almost as hard of a time as explaining why something is good.

Koopa-Dude94
1 year ago#300
Not to say that it's got a lot of double entendres or the like - though it does have some, it doesn't appear overly reliant - rather, a lot of it just sounds like things adults would say, and not kid's show characters.

Squidward was especially good at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i7BrC_niww

I think almost everyone agrees that Band Geeks was the best episode (Survival of the Idiots is another favorite of mine). Along with great jokes, it had the actual musical number which was incredible. Then, rather than ending on a throwaway gag or whatever, it just ends with Squidward being genuinely happy because his dream has come true. If I were to order the Spongebob canon chronologically, I'd put Band Geeks at the end, just so that the ending isn't tainted by any of the garbage in the later seasons.

There was also a game based on the show Catscratch - which I remember nothing of the show, just the game. It beared a striking resemblance to Worms: WMD.

I know the one. It was pretty good for a flash game. The problem I had was that once you got low on health, you got access to the Kraken, which would instantly defeat anyone on the field (including you), based on when you press the A button.

Also, Ocean Man is actually a really good song, f*** the grubby, diseased memers.

I agree.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightforce
  3. It's Not Ani-You, It's Anime Topic #6
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Happy 11th of April!!Jodi1114011/30 11:59PM