• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo
  3. The fourth game in the Produce! series

User Info: Fridgemarket

Fridgemarket
3 years ago#1
This is the fourth game in the series, and I own and have played all of them.

First was Brain Lord, a fun Action/Puzzle/Platformer where the Arks/Runes took the form of summoned fairies that each had a special power like increasing defense, shooting fireballs, healing you and so on, and defeating enemies would sometimes leave behind a blue experience orb that made your Arks/Runes grow in power. The main character Remeer grew more powerful by using max health increasing items like the heart containers from Legend of Zelda.

Second was 7th Saga/Elnard, where the game took on RPG elements and made the Arks/Runes into non-consumable items with great power, and introduced the partner system that was incorporated into the third game. Remeer became "Lemele," the king that sets the apprentices off on their journey, but it turns out that you are also Remeer/Lemele through a time travel twist at the end.

Third was Mystic Ark, which allowed the player to use allies like in 7th Saga, but they could be freely swapped out at any time to have a different gaming experience and to meet new challenges. The puzzles from Brain Lord returned by requiring you to jump back and forth between a hub area and different worlds to find the items you needed to progress, or teleporters to new worlds. Remeer is one of the chooseable characters, the other being Ferris, who was also the fairy queen in Brain Lord and one of Remeer's friends there.

Fourth is this one. It's a fun little game, and like SkeletonHug says, a tank controls Oz-like adventure game. You jump through different worlds like in Mystic Ark (the first world is a land of Elves being menaced by a demonic black dog, the second is a Frankenstein-like tale of mad scientists and monsters, the third is a Chinese folklore inspired world where a dragon kidnaps a dancer as part of a sacrifice and almost everyone is 2D like a painting...). Remeer is one of the three selectable characters, the others being Alice and Lydia. Lydia is only available after finishing the game with the first two, and her gameplay is more focused on puzzles.

With the last game, the combat is almost non-existent and amounts to little more than a battle or two per world, and you get no experience for doing so. There's a card game where two players draw four and attempt to outscore the other person with one random move allowed per round (like one card gets a random boost, two cards' values are swapped, etc...). The cards also function as the "mana" you need to summon the Arks/Runes which help you to solve puzzles by lighting things on fire, encouraging people, making a person smarter and so on. In Mystic Ark, the Arks were separate from the characters because Arks powered up weapons and solved puzzles, while the characters were summonable allies. In Phantom Theater, the Arks and characters are one and the same, but no longer assist in battle until the very end.

Hope that explains everything well enough. I'm glad I found out about the other three games after I played 7th Saga and enjoyed the heck out of them, and that I majored in Japanese in college so I could understand the games without having to wait for patches. :D

User Info: Fridgemarket

Fridgemarket
3 years ago#2
My mistake: 7th Saga was the first game, Brain Lord was the second.
  1. Boards
  2. Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo
  3. The fourth game in the Produce! series
  • Topic Archived