• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Warflame
  3. Vidler Games

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
1 month ago#1
Ok picking up where the last one left off

Snap wasn't even a month old and there were people whibg about how Nintendo doesn't make games.

Whiner here- Snap is a budget title sold at full price and it's a sequel to an obscure spinoff and that's basically their biggest recent release.

The biggest projects they have otherwise in the visible future are a re-release of a game roughly a decade old also sold at full price and a Mario golf spinoff. Splatoon 3 is 2022, Arceus is 2022, BotW2 is who knows when, and Metroid Prime 4 might as well be a next gen game. No new Mario Kart this console, no fully new 2D Mario game in almost a decade, so on.

How in the world does the release of Pokemon Snap 2 suddenly mean that people aren't justified in criticizing their overall drought of new games?
Add extra abyss sauce
Welcome to the Adventurer's Grill!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
1 month ago#2
SpunkySix posted...
budget title
No, it is what you perceive as a budget title. Its actual budget is very much on the higher end of games.

SpunkySix posted...
How in the world does the release of Pokemon Snap 2 suddenly mean that people aren't justified in criticizing their overall drought of new games?
Because it comes across as extremely hypocritical if you don't apply the same to every other developer (minus EA and Activision, I guess...) ans extremely foolish if you do. On both sides of the eqation complaining about a drought is effectively the "old man yells at kids" affair: the speed that games are coming out is the same and the quality of the games is roughly the same. You're just finding out that growing old sucks.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

SpunkySix
1 month ago#3
ellis123 posted...
No, it is what you perceive as a budget title

Pokemon Snap does not have the content of a full priced title and everyone knew this before it even released, I don't care what it costed to actually make it.

the speed that games are coming out is the same and the quality of the games is roughly the same

1) This objectively isn't true- for example, literally every console since I think the SNES has had its own Mario Kart game but the Switch only got an updated port. Between Wii and 8 was 6 years. Between 8 and the game we never got is... 7 years and counting, probably not until next gen.

2) Even if it was, that doesn't make it good

Hey guys, Miitopia came out recently, the total lack of a new DKC game for the first time since the Gamecube is fine! That's what using Pokemon Snap as a "see they make games" retort looks like.
Add extra abyss sauce
(edited 1 month ago)

SpunkySix
1 month ago#4
ellis123 posted...
if you don't apply the same to every other developer

Who said I don't? I'm talking about Nintendo because I own a Switch personally.

Also to the "just as fast" comment, remember when the Gamecube had 3 Mario Party games on it, plus wholly original Mario Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Strikers, Double Dash... the Switch has 1/3 as many MP games with less boards than all of the Gamecube ones, and only 2/5 other spinoffs.

I never commented on quality either, because that's been a mixed bag on the Switch. They started out super strong, but since then there's been some gems and there's also been some very "meh" releases.
Add extra abyss sauce
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
1 month ago#5
SpunkySix posted...
1) This objectively isn't true- for example, literally every console since I think the SNES has had its own Mario Kart game but the Switch only got an updated port. Between Wii and 8 was 6 years. Between 8 and the game we never got is... 7 years and counting, probably not until next gen.
Yeah, but cherry picking isn't an objective thing unless you're trying to make a fruit smoothie. Mario Kart isn't 100% of what Nintendo makes and bringing it up like they *must* come out with one or they are making some sort of affront is super loose. Doubly so if you're going to make a big deal about Pokemon Snap being lesser because of being a spin off with "less" content (what less means, of course, is entirely up in the air with the asterisk that while there are plenty of kart games with vastly more content than Mario Kart there aren't any photographing games with anywhere near the content of Pokemon Snap). In terms of sheer number of new games Nintendo is roughly in line with what you expect from them and outside of specific years being above or below the average there isn't really much to say.

SpunkySix posted...
Hey guys, Miitopia came out recently, the total lack of a new DKC game for the first time since the Gamecube is fine! That's what using Pokemon Snap as a "see they make games" retort looks like.
Darn those kids and their not liking exactly what you like! How DARE they!?!

SpunkySix posted...
Also to the "just as fast" comment, remember when the Gamecube had 3 Mario Party games on it, plus wholly original Mario Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Strikers, Double Dash... the Switch has 1/3 as many MP games with less boards than all of the Gamecube ones, and only 2/5 other spinoffs.
*And*? Just because they're not making the games you explicitly want doesn't mean that they don't make games. Heck, if anything pointing out the GameCube is kind of *why* they aren't actually making those as the GameCube was one of their big failures in terms of making money. They would rather go with safe money than ones that have failed.

SpunkySix posted...
I never commented on quality either, because that's been a mixed bag on the Switch. They started out super strong, but since then there's been some gems and there's also been some very "meh" releases.
The quality comment was about the "budget title" aspect. Basically I'm saying that they're doing the exact same amount of budget nonsense every console and any feelings that they've gone differently is mostly just your nostalgia catching up to you.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: lenmutt

lenmutt
1 month ago#6
pokemon snap has way too much Japanese/English voice acting to be a budget title
SpunkySix posted...
sequel to an obscure spinoff
11th best selling N64 game.... and is from Nintendo's second biggest franchise

"obscure"

i think being a major first party franchise on a major home console bars a game from obscurity

lenmutt
1 month ago#7
oh and developed by HAL Laboratory

lenmutt
1 month ago#8
and had the very popular at the time pokemon anime connections with both Professor Oak and Todd Snap

Calling Pokemon Snap obscure is very very disingenuous

SpunkySix
1 month ago#9
ellis123 posted...
Darn those kids and their not liking exactly what you like! How DARE they!?!

Oh well I mean if your whole argument basically boils down to Miitopia and Pokemon Snap being comparable to a 2D Mario game in terms of them having a console library and then totally pretending like there's no such thing as major vs minor releases because sheer quantity is literally all that matters then I mean have fun with that but it's not even worth arguing about. That's not how people view console libraries.

Let's see a console come out with no main series Mario or Zelda games but 100 games like Miitopia and see how well the "but they literally have numerous games tho!" argument holds up.

This isn't even me trying to be elitist about it, Snap and Miitopia are cute, but if you want to pretend that sort of release is what people are talking about when they say the console needs more games then you're missing the point because you want to be extra literal about it. Nobody literally thinks Nintendo stopped creating games altogether.

lenmutt posted...
Calling Pokemon Snap obscure is very very disingenuous

It's one game that didn't get a sequel for 20 years. Even if it was popular at the time it was relatively obscure by the time it got a second game. In fact the most infamous thing about it was that some people who were stuck on N64 nostalgia kept asking for a second one and then didn't get it for two whole decades.
Add extra abyss sauce
(edited 1 month ago)

SpunkySix
1 month ago#10
ellis123 posted...
Heck, if anything pointing out the GameCube is kind of *why* they aren't actually making those as the GameCube was one of their big failures in terms of making money. They would rather go with safe money than ones that have failed.

Those games made less money because the console sold less, not the other way around. The Switch has like quadruple the install base of the Gamecube. If that was their reasoning then making a new Mario Golf would make no sense.

Super Mario Party is one of their best selling titles right now and it's arguably worse than all three Gamecube Mario Party games in terms of board design, balance, and overall quality of presentation. It's selling like crazy because it's Mario Party on the Switch.

And even then, the sports spinoffs didn't "fail" in the slightest. It's just easier to port something like Mario Kart 8 and then call it a day because they can make insane bank off of it without making a new game. That's why they're doing this. Or are you going to argue now that Mario Kart wasn't successful enough to justify a new installment on the Switch?

there aren't any photographing games with anywhere near the content of Pokemon Snap
And we all know that's a huge bar to clear. Plus, since overly-specific genres exist in a vaccum and can't be compared to anything else then gee, I guess it's impossible to judge whether an 8-10 hour campaign filled with padding has a lot of content for a game made in 2021. I'm at a complete loss. /s

I mean Luigi's Mansion 1 is still one of the beefiest vacuuming games I've ever played. I mean sure it's like 10 hours long if you stretch it to its absolute limit and can fairly easily be beaten in a single play session but what other vacuuming games do you know with more?
Add extra abyss sauce
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Warflame
  3. Vidler Games
  • Topic Closed

GameFAQs Q&A

How good is this game? General4 Answers