• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Warflame
  3. I'm thinking about making a terminal-based game

User Info: lenmutt

lenmutt
1 month ago#11
Grey_Locus posted...
The easiest thing to do would be a CYOA, and the most difficult would be full-fledged RPG or roguelike. Any ideas for what you'd like to see?

such as?

User Info: Grey_Locus

Grey_Locus
1 month ago#12
lenmutt posted...
such as?

I don't know, maybe I can make a horror game in which you play as a ship captain and have to manage your crew with limited information while they fight some spooky monster, or a mystery game in which you travel through time and look for a way to prevent a murder. The possibilities are endless, really, the only caveat is that the interface will be text-based.
It looks a lot like even though they are outbreeding us, we are outmeme-ing them, and that gives us a decisive advantage.

User Info: lenmutt

lenmutt
1 month ago#13
Grey_Locus posted...
lenmutt posted...
such as?

I don't know, maybe I can make a horror game in which you play as a ship captain and have to manage your crew with limited information while they fight some spooky monster, or a mystery game in which you travel through time and look for a way to prevent a murder. The possibilities are endless, really, the only caveat is that the interface will be text-based.

Ship Captain, lovecraftian horror.

User Info: willingmess

willingmess
1 month ago#14
Grey_Locus posted...
willingmess posted...
You mean menu based?

I mean terminal-based as in runs on a terminal window and uses a TUI instead of a GUI.

https://i.imgtc.com/1tnHFJT.png
https://i.imgtc.com/ICl7Jfv.png

I don't know how the first thing that comes to mind to you guys is planes.

Ohhh... like that dwarf game.

Sounds interesting. Would you use a command line, or something else? I’ve had ideas like this rolling around a bit. You could do minor images using some inventive ascii art mixed with printf. It should be possible.
Why so bananas about it?

Grey_Locus
1 month ago#15
On Windows, the windows.h library can be used to read keyboard/mouse input, modify the content of any given character cell, and interact with the console window. On Linux, the terminal is compatible with ANSI escape sequences which are very easy to use, but reading keyboard/mouse input needs its own library. Either way you're not going to end up with something very portable, unless it's really simple.

I managed to make a basic Snake game with a little menu system using a handful of functions to read the arrow keys, move the text cursor, and change colours. The Windows API is really easy to use, honestly.
It looks a lot like even though they are outbreeding us, we are outmeme-ing them, and that gives us a decisive advantage.

User Info: Gubbey

Gubbey
1 month ago#16
you should see if your university can get you microsoft visual studio for free. best coding suite i've ever used.
I'll stop wearin' black when they make a darker color

User Info: willingmess

willingmess
1 month ago#17
Grey_Locus posted...
On Windows, the windows.h library can be used to read keyboard/mouse input, modify the content of any given character cell, and interact with the console window. On Linux, the terminal is compatible with ANSI escape sequences which are very easy to use, but reading keyboard/mouse input needs its own library. Either way you're not going to end up with something very portable, unless it's really simple.

I managed to make a basic Snake game with a little menu system using a handful of functions to read the arrow keys, move the text cursor, and change colours. The Windows API is really easy to use, honestly.

Oh, cool! I’ll try to check that out.
Why so bananas about it?

User Info: PrettyTonyTiger

PrettyTonyTiger
1 month ago#18
i was thinking linux
when i'm coming through your city you know i'm in town
https://gfycat.com/BountifulHarmlessDungbeetle

Grey_Locus
1 month ago#19
Gubbey posted...
you should see if your university can get you microsoft visual studio for free. best coding suite i've ever used.

I've checked it out and it's pretty neat, although a bit slow. I might try VS Code since it's lighter and can also run on my Linux notebook.

PrettyTonyTiger posted...
i was thinking linux

Linux has ncurses, which is a plus, but it also has wine so I don't actually need to make the code portable.
  1. Boards
  2. Warflame
  3. I'm thinking about making a terminal-based game
  • Topic Archived