You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Warflame
  3. New Story by Willingmess: Dealing with being a Fox Monster

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
2 months ago#11
Is this a reference to a specific game, or is it an original game from the perspective of an OC?
What doth life?
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: willingmess

willingmess
2 months ago#12
SpunkySix posted...
Is this a reference to a specific game, or is it an original game from the perspective of an OC?

Original game with an original character.

But borrowing heavily from a lot of RPGs
Why so bananas about it?

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
2 months ago#13
willingmess posted...
SpunkySix posted...

Original game with an original character.

But borrowing heavily from a lot of RPGs

I see. That's good, I just wasn't sure if I was missing something specific of an allusion or not.
What doth life?

User Info: Traptin3days

Traptin3days
2 months ago#14
I think it gets a bit difficult to know the difference between thoughts, speeches and regular narrative descriptions. Especially when italics come in suddenly. Is it a conscious choice in style?

Was pretty neat tho tbh
After all is said and done, we all end up as skeletons
Tales unending, rules a-bending, journey just begun

willingmess
2 months ago#15
Oh no no... no no no.

This is worse. So much worse than anything I could have imagined.

I am pretty adorable though...

Wait, no! Snap out of it! I can’t go thinking things like that! I’ve got to fix this!

To start, I should probably acknowledge the magic text that’s floating in front of my face.

Welcome to the game, would you like a tutorial?

Game? What kind of game am I in?

Regardless this is probably related to why I’m now this fox thing. I may need to engage with whatever game this is if I ever want to turn back to normal. I think I’ll need the tutorial.

Resolution made, I clear my throat and call out “yes”

*yip*

That wasn’t a yes! That was a bark! Don’t tell me I can’t speak anymore... ugh... this is the worst!

Regardless though, the prompt from before fades out and new letters start scrolling across my vision.

You have elected to begin the tutorial!

Welcome to Earth, a land of humans, and now monsters!

Wait, monsters? Are more things like me going to start appearing?

I shudder a bit.

In this game, your goal is to become the strongest monster. In order to do so you must kill and eat other monsters in order to grow and survive until you’ve accomplished this goal.

Wait, why do I have to eat them? Blegh!

Through this time you will acquire various “special abilities” that will accomplish various tasks.

Well dang that’s important, I wish I had a pen... Ugh, even if I had a pen I couldn’t really use one in this state, could I? Wait, how do I even use these abilities?!

In order to check on these “special abilities” and other stats you can use the menu. In order to open the menu you just have to think about opening it and the system automatically does it for you! Now then, why don’t we try doing that right now! Just think about opening the menu.

Ok, I guess we’re just going to skip over how to use special abilities then. No that’s fine. It’s fine... ugh. Oh yeah right! Opening the menu!

I consciously direct my thought towards opening the menu. In response, a large window of strange words and numbers just appears in front of me.

Baby Balfox: Unnamed
STR: 5
SPD: 13
DEF: 6
INT: 50
WIS: 7
CHA: 17
LCK: 3

Special Abilities:
N/A

What the heck does STR stand for!? And why is my only Special ability N/A?

...Wait a second... ack! I don’t have any special abilities at all!?

Ohhhhh no no no no... this is bad. Mr. tutorial guy, I still have no idea what to do, maybe you can help me?

And with that, the tutorial is concluded! Good luck!

The words slowly fade away in front of me.

Oh. Ok.

====To Be Continued=======>

@SpunkySix
@Traptin3days
@lenmutt
Why so bananas about it?
(edited 2 months ago)

willingmess
2 months ago#16
Traptin3days posted...
I think it gets a bit difficult to know the difference between thoughts, speeches and regular narrative descriptions. Especially when italics come in suddenly. Is it a conscious choice in style?

Was pretty neat tho tbh

Yeah, that is a bit of a problem. This is sort of meant to be a bit conversational between the main character and the audience.

The italics were meant to represent a different individual speaking, but I can see the confusion. I could either use a different font for them or some other distinguishing factor.

I did have the other voice use lengthened syllables occasionally but I ran into the length limit for the post.

I probably should have just used quotation marks. Though it also is a bit mildly nice that it’s confusing who is speaking/acting since that was 100% what the character was going through at that moment.
Why so bananas about it?

willingmess
2 months ago#17
New chapter y’all?
Why so bananas about it?

willingmess
2 months ago#18
@lenmutt
@SpunkySix
@Traptin3days

Y’all still interested?
Why so bananas about it?

User Info: lenmutt

lenmutt
2 months ago#19
sorry let me polish off this anime and I'll read one an episode and one after.

willingmess
2 months ago#20
lenmutt posted...
sorry let me polish off this anime and I'll read one an episode and one after.

It’s ok, I was just worried that I did or said something.
Why so bananas about it?
  1. Boards
  2. Warflame
  3. New Story by Willingmess: Dealing with being a Fox Monster