• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. After Armageddon Gaiden: Majuu Toushouden Eclipse
  3. I'm planning on going to BYU in the fall

User Info: AshezAshezAshez

AshezAshezAshez
10 years ago#1
I'm a senior in high school right now and as much as I'd rather not go to BYU it's my only option as of now other than community. The main reasons I'm going are because it's cheap and my parents are paying for most of it. My family is well off but supporting three kids in college (previously two on missions) really puts a dent in the income and I couldn't even manage paying for most of BYU myself not to mention somewhere more expensive. I'll be there with two older brothers and a couple of cousins.
I'm pretty sure I'll feel completely oppressed there. I really dislike the people in the church and I try to avoid Sundays and mutual as much as possible. I regularly attend seminary (but that's mostly to attempt to piss of my teacher with questions he can't answer).
For now I plan on majoring in Graphic Design but anything can happen. I'm worried that after my first year (or ever semester) I'll want to transfer somewhere else but be stuck with BYU.

I can't raise any doubts with anyone in my life because it will turn into some big thing. As much as my parents like to encourage "off the wall" thinking- one little conversation about any doubts I have will turn into a "You need to pray more and you'll know it's right!".

Should I basically be expecting typical closed-minded, judgmental Mormons when I get there? My brother said depending on what department you go into you'll get different people but I doubt it varies that much.

User Info: Kraaken

Kraaken
10 years ago#2
It varies a tremendous amount, but you're unlikely to find more than a handful of worthwhile professors at lower levels of classes, which will be the ones you take as a first year student (most religion professors are awful, and you have to take religion classes. The only worthwhile religion classes are somewhat more obscure). That said, the faculty can be amazing if you know where to look. Going through graphic design, I doubt professor disposition will affect the class as much as it does over in the humanities, and that particular program is supposed to be a good one.

The students (and administration), on the other hand, are much the same as you'd expect. You'll find some good people, but many bad ones, either Mormons who don't understand their own religion or Mormons who rebel for the sake of rebellion (though you're probably one of those,. judging by your post). And for your sake, try not to live in the dorms if you feel this way.

I made it through all the way and I'm better in some ways for having been here. But once you're in it's hard to move without running into problems, so if you really want to be elsewhere, might want to look into that now. Had a friend who was also highly critical of the LDS church. Moved out of the dorms after two months. Quit BYU entirely after almost two years. She couldn't handle it. I don't blame her. Be careful with what you decide.
Among twenty snowy mountains, the only moving thing
Was the eye of the blackbird.
  1. Boards
  2. After Armageddon Gaiden: Majuu Toushouden Eclipse
  3. I'm planning on going to BYU in the fall
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A