• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: sefsefsefsef

sefsefsefsef
10 years ago#1
How are you all doing? I'm doing very well, thanks.

Anything cool going on?
Cracklin' Oat Bran is known to cereal product enthusiasts as the most expensive price-per-unit cereal of the major brand offerings.
- Wikipedia

User Info: Kraaken

Kraaken
10 years ago#2
I will soon graduate from BYU

Then I will no longer feel any obligation to go to church ever again
Among twenty snowy mountains, the only moving thing
Was the eye of the blackbird.

sefsefsefsef
10 years ago#3
Sorry to hear that. It makes me wonder many things about you, though.

Why did you go to BYU in the first place? Why are you going to church now? What will be different between now and graduation that will make you stop going to church?
Cracklin' Oat Bran is known to cereal product enthusiasts as the most expensive price-per-unit cereal of the major brand offerings.
- Wikipedia

User Info: silver knux

silver knux
10 years ago#4
I'm on the fence about going to church right now. I don't really have anything against it, but the only singles ward here is beyond atrocious. I'm stuck here while I take some college courses until Fall of 2012 at the earliest and I don't really feel compelled to be part of this mess of a singles ward. Most of my friends are getting back from their missions over the next year so that might makes things more bearable.
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+4
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png

sefsefsefsef
10 years ago#5
What does "going to church" do? Is it good?
- Wikipedia

User Info: Kraaken

Kraaken
10 years ago#6
I came to BYU because I wouldn't have to pay a dime for this education and because I still had belief in the current LDS organization, albeit a hesitant belief. I could have attended elsewhere at more prestigious universities, and I almost wish I had. Many students I have met are as judgmental as you would imagine, and quite closed-minded at that. It's hard to find common ground, and the place is just boring most of the time. The administration is oppressive. I do not feel free. Not to mention the Provo weather.

But at the same time, I have made some good friends here, most of whom are in fact devout mormons. I have had several professors that made the trip worthwhile as well. They helped me develop my own ideas and visions (note that many of these teachers have come under review at one time or another, and that they mostly hide out in inconspicuous upper-level classes). While some ideas aren't adequately discussed here, this is a good place to study religion, provided you find the right people as well. LDS people are largely ignorant of some very important details, but they have a solid enough base of information that means religious discussions don't have to be shallow (at least once you're out of the sunday school--ahem, excuse me, religion department).

I attend church partly because I'm supposed to, but that's not a valid response, since that has never stopped me from not attending. I frequently skip meetings. Church at BYU is very useful for social contacts, I must say. I've met the children of quite a few influential mormons over the past few years. It's also a good social outlet in general, and when you're not exactly skilled at keeping friends, it provides a solid group to associate with. You might ask why I bother, but there comes a time when you need good interaction, and I need it frequently. And if my friends here want me to go--in that, they want to be around me, rather than they want to get me active--I will oblige them.

But that all falls out of play when I'm out of Utah. Depending on wherever I end up, there probably won't be significant enough a community to sustain good social interaction, and my beliefs don't align with mainstream LDS beliefs anymore, so there's not much point in me sticking around.
Among twenty snowy mountains, the only moving thing
Was the eye of the blackbird.

User Info: Wil_Stormchaser

Wil_Stormchaser
10 years ago#7
Doing pretty good; I'm doing a year of community college until I turn 19 and can go on my mission, which I am very much looking forward to.
Wil_Stormchaser
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A