• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Camel Trophy
  3. do not tag @megacamerupt

User Info: TehGooseV2

TehGooseV2
8 months ago#31
Nebby posted...
I'm not being rude here, I'm explaining why this whole topic is problematic. Lemme bring up the issues as a list so you can clearly see why this topic isn't a good idea.

1. Undesired help - If you just assume that someone wants your help and rush in to do it, you run the very real risk of annoying that person, and that annoyance isn't always unreasonable. They may be offended that you think they can't do it on their own, or they don't like the way you're trying to represent them. This isn't a certain thing, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't offer help. But offer before doing. Ask them if they want your help unless the situation is urgent and the consequences meaningful, and even then only if you know you can actually provide benefit to the situation - something they couldn't do on their own. Now if you did ask if they wanted help, and they said yes, then this part isn't a problem.

2. Diverted attention - By creating another topic, you're drawing attention away from the original post this person made. Certainly people can view both topics, but most will not post on both topics. Anyone who posts exclusively on this topic is someone who probably would have posted on the original topic if this one didn't exist. This problem is much worse if the original poster isn't aware of this topic's existence, as they won't see the replies. If they are aware of it, now they have to pay attention to multiple topics.

3. Reader Confusion - By creating more topics about the same subject, viewers get confused about which topics are legitimate, which are troll parodies, and which they should bother looking at. This confusion often leads to annoyance with the subject as a whole and drives people away from it when they otherwise might be willing to assist.

4. Board Clutter - Creating another topic for a single request causes difficulty in navigating the boards and finding content that the viewer wants to see by increasing the density of topics that most don't want to see and reducing the density of other content.

5. Emergent Problems - Imagine if you created a duplicate topic every time someone asked for help on this board. All this duplication would only bloat the boards with content that already exists on that board. This makes all the other problems worse. Much worse. The clutter doesn't just get annoying, it gets unbearable and pushes people away from the board entirely. The confusion becomes so twisting nobody tries to sort through it. This is of course only a problem when we have a lot of duplicate topics instead of the occasional duplicate, but if it's good for you to do it, then why shouldn't someone else do it? Why shouldn't everyone create duplicate topics? By creating and supporting duplicate topics, you encourage others to do the same, which leads to these emergent problems.

Trying to be helpful is a good thing, and I encourage it. But do it smart. Ask people if they want your help, and give the right kind of help. If someone needs help carrying a heavy package, don't run down the street asking if anyone wants to lift something, grab the other end and help them pick it up. Don't annoy everyone else by shouting like a madman, without ever actually getting that package to its destination.

literally who

ideas @MegaCamerupt @Wongtan @MyBroTierno @MessiahTFS
I found you.... Faker!
And that's how you play 7-Ball!

User Info: MessiahTFS

MessiahTFS
8 months ago#32
no idea @TehGooseV2 @MegaCamerupt

TehGooseV2
8 months ago#33
no way that isn't copypasta

who are you @Nebby
I found you.... Faker!

User Info: MyBroTierno

MyBroTierno
8 months ago#34
TehGooseV2 posted...
no way that isn't copypasta

I'm saving that pasta for @MegaCamerupt
Me: What makes you qualified to talk about VGC2017 if you've never played VGC2017?
Quintonshark: Cause i watched a couple of VGC2017 related videos

TehGooseV2
8 months ago#35
I'm not being rude here, I'm explaining why this whole topic is problematic. Lemme bring up the issues as a list so you can clearly see why this topic isn't a good idea.

1. Undesired help - If you just assume that someone wants your help and rush in to do it, you run the very real risk of annoying @MegaCamerupt, and that annoyance isn't always unreasonable. They may be offended that you think they can't do it on their own, or they don't like the way you're trying to represent them. This isn't a certain thing, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't offer help. But offer before doing. Ask @MegaCamerupt if they want your help unless the situation is urgent and the consequences meaningful, and even then only if you know you can actually provide benefit to the situation - something they couldn't do on their own. Now if you did ask if they wanted help, and they said yes, then this part isn't a problem.

2. Diverted attention - By creating another topic, you're drawing attention away from the original post @MegaCamerupt made. Certainly @MegaCamerupt can view both topics, but most will not post on both topics. Anyone who posts exclusively on this topic is someone who probably would have posted on the original topic if this one didn't exist. This problem is much worse if @MegaCamerupt isn't aware of this topic's existence, as they won't see the replies. If they are aware of it, now they have to pay attention to multiple topics.

3. Reader Confusion - By creating more topics about the same subject, @MegaCamerupt gets confused about which topics are legitimate, which are troll parodies, and which they should bother looking at. This confusion often leads to annoyance with the subject as a whole and drives @MegaCamerupt away from it when they otherwise might be willing to assist.

4. Board Clutter - Creating another topic for a single request causes difficulty in navigating the boards and finding content that @MegaCamerupt wants to see by increasing the density of topics that most don't want to see and reducing the density of other content.

5. Emergent Problems - Imagine if you created a duplicate topic every time @MegaCamerupt asked for help on this board. All this duplication would only bloat the boards with content that already exists on that board. This makes all the other problems worse. Much worse. The clutter doesn't just get annoying, it gets unbearable and pushes people away from the board entirely. The confusion becomes so twisting nobody tries to sort through it. This is of course only a problem when we have a lot of duplicate topics instead of the occasional duplicate, but if it's good for you to do it, then why shouldn't @MegaCamerupt do it? Why shouldn't everyone create duplicate topics? By creating and supporting duplicate topics, you encourage others to do the same, which leads to these emergent problems.

Trying to be helpful is a good thing, and I encourage it. But do it smart. Ask @MegaCamerupt if they want your help, and give the right kind of help. If @MegaCamerupt needs help carrying a heavy package, don't run down the street asking if anyone wants to lift something, grab the other end and help them pick it up. Don't annoy @MegaCamerupt by shouting like a madman, without ever actually getting that package to its destination.
I found you.... Faker!
  1. Boards
  2. Camel Trophy
  3. do not tag @megacamerupt
  • Topic Archived