• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Loom
  3. Loom will return.

User Info: griever_zero

griever_zero
9 years ago#1
I'm here to give the Loom community something to hope for.

There is a Loom project in the works. Not by LucasArt, but by a group of dedicated college students.

And furthermore...

The project is being advised under none other than the man that created Loom himself, Brian Moriarty.

Stay tuned, folks.

User Info: Sariel

Sariel
9 years ago#2
sweet :) I just finally got this thing off Steam last week. I'd been searching for it for nearly 20 years!
Sariel V -
"I just diagrammed this sentence and drew a pentagram. Is that bad?" - OutlawDino

User Info: TheDuke2000

TheDuke2000
9 years ago#3
Well, I cant say I've heard of that project. I CAN tell you I'm working on my own sequel with a great team. Our board is located here:
http://forgedemo.proboards.com/

Anyone is welcome to come by.

griever_zero
9 years ago#4
Very cool, TheDuke, good luck with your project! I especially like how you're capturing the original graphical style.

My project is a bit different since it is almost entirely academic, Brian Moriarty is one of my professors and is the official "adviser" for the project. Under his direction we're developing something more modern, with a blend of digitally painted backgrounds and 3D modeled forgreound elements. We have about two years to develop the game, and have started pre-production.

The current design encompasses both Forge and The Fold, and the final length will be about as long as Loom.

I'm very glad there are so many people interested in the world of Loom!

TheDuke2000
9 years ago#5
Thank you, we're priding ourselves on being true to the original graphic style. Your game would be the 4th In-Production Loom sequel currently in the works. Which is scary in itself.

I would love for you to come by the board and keep in touch with us at the forum, until you guys get your own website running.

TheDuke2000
9 years ago#6
On a Side note, our plan is to do both, Forge and Fold as seperate equal length adventures. I neglected to mention this.

User Info: Saikyo Mog

Saikyo Mog
9 years ago#7
When the very first version of Loom came out way back in the day, I fell in love with it (along with Monkey island™). If you check most of the Loom boards, you'll see I've done pics for them as well. I've also co-written the game script with a good friend of mine. When we met, she never heard of the game, but she fell in love with it as well when she started to play. I'm sure she'll love hearing this news.

It was a shame that Forge and Fold was never made before, but I'm sure these new games will be great additions to the series. And it's great that one group actually has Brian Moriarty working with them. It'll be a bit weird seeing two groups doing the same games though, but I'm sure each will be great. But I do have some questions though for both of you guys.

In Loom, while there wasn't really any sort of game over moments, though if you weren't writing down the letters for each weave or spell or whatever you want to call them, you could potentially screw yourself over. I remember when trying to revive Rusty, I had forgotten the letters for the spell....Meh...Anyways, besides doing something like that, there wasn't a way to get yourself killed, which was nice. My question here is will it be the same way for these new games? It was quite nice that I could explore and try everything without the fear of getting killed... :P

And I'm sure I don't need to ask, but there will be music in these games that sound just as amazing as the music that was in Loom? ;)

I understand that you have a link to another forum, but I tend to just stay here and wait for some people to give their own little updates. It's just one of those little quirks about me. I'm sure I would be better off lurking on the other forums, but I just don't like doing that... <_<
"Pull my finger! I command you!" Vigo the Carpathian
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SaikyoMog

griever_zero
9 years ago#8
Saikyo,

Our project will be similar to Loom in that you will be able to explore and use spells without fear of dying or anything.

As for music, did you know that all of Loom was inspired by Brian Moriarty listening to Swan Lake? We are taking a similar approach to our project, using classical music as inspiration. We are also licensing some pieces to be used in our project. Fortunately, it is very easy to get a license for some classical pieces.

Our current schedule has us completing a design treatment by the end of February, meaning a rough game design document detailing the story, mechanics, and other details. We'll hopefully have some kind of website going as well.

Saikyo Mog
9 years ago#9
Of course I knew about the music. It does mention Tchaikovsky in the credits, and I think that whole space swan area was a dead give away. :P

I'm wondering though, The Forge was supposed to be about Rusty, right? I don't recall the smiths being able to use magic. I'm going to assume that when you play as him, it'll be like Monkey Island™ where he can pick up items and use them? With The Fold game and Fleece, I'm sure she'll be able to use her songs, so with her, it'll most likely play more like Loom, right?

It'll be interesting to see all the nitty gritty details of everything eventually. I'm sure people who fell in love with Loom's look and feel will enjoy the stuff you guys have planned.

Saikyo Mog
9 years ago#10
Oh yeah...Most likely a long shot, but never hurts to ask I guess....

If you plan on making a video showing clips or whatever in the future, do you have a youtube account already to show them? If not, I wouldn't mind putting them up for you.

Well, even if you already do, you can be sure that once the game(s) come out, I'll play through them and take pics for them to put up on GFAQs. Will also make little musical slideshows to put up on youtube as I've been doing as of late.
  1. Boards
  2. Loom
  3. Loom will return.
  • Topic Archived