• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest III: Soshite Densetsu e...
  3. Stamina/Wisdom decreases via Pachisi. Good or bad?

User Info: ThEBMaN

ThEBMaN
1 year ago#1
So my Hero character has lost some stat points during Pachisi in bot Stamina and Wisdom. Normally I'd consider this to be a good thing, as my first thought is that this could allow me to gain more HP/MP than normal by earning extra Stamina & Wisdom during level ups due to the decrease. However on subsequent level ups I have not gotten any HP or MP gains even though my Stamina and Wisdom have both risen.

So does this mean that the game looks at your current Stamina/Wisdom stats before handing out HP/MP because it expects it to match up? It's an interesting thought that the game might actually look at those stats and not hand out any extra HP/MP unless your Stamina and/or Wisdom matches up with the amount of HP/MP you have. Is this the case? Does the game refuse to hand out HP/MP if your Stamina/Wisdom isn't high enough?

If so then that would actually make Stamina/Wisdom seeds useful, when it was once thought that they were basically counterproductive to use.
"HAVE YOU.... OR HAVE YOU NOT.... HEARD.... ABOUT.... THE BIRD?"

ThEBMaN
1 year ago#2
Hello? Anyone still left on this board? Guess not... oh well.

User Info: _Young-Gamer_

_Young-Gamer_
1 year ago#3
I'm here but I don't understand what you wrote. No big brain 😭
Gaming is Life

User Info: _Young-Gamer_

_Young-Gamer_
1 year ago#4
When I played, I didn't care about stat growth. I was playing normally. I collected every item. I defeated every boss and I finished the game.

You're asking about stats and all these stuff and about the seeds. Most people don't dive deep into the details like you're doing.

Normally, during RPG, a player Level up, collect all the items and finish the game.

In this game, lots of things affect stat growth, personality, gender, the pachisi track, the job class, seeds, accessories. If you end up focusing on all those stuff to get perfect stats, you have a long and confusing journey ahead of you.
Gaming is Life

ThEBMaN
1 year ago#5
Lol well I dunno, there are plenty of fans that get into the nitty gritty of an RPG. I mean that's what all the detailed info on this site is for, like the game mechanics FAQ. Basic playthru's are not my style.

I already understand most of the other intricate details of this game like how stat growth works. It's the way HP/MP and Stamina/Wisdom relate to each other that I am wondering about, as based on my playthru they could be linked, which I haven't seen written about anywhere.

Perhaps I'm asking too much. Oh well, I tried.

User Info: MurcielagoNoble

MurcielagoNoble
11 months ago#6
So I know this thread is 7 months old, but I thought I'd answer anyways. Never know, someone new to the game might read this and it'll help them out. Or something.

Although... I'm only sure about this in the GBC version. Hopefully the SNES & GBC calculate stat growth exactly same way.

First, every stat has a maximum it can reach. Its 255 for every stat except HP/MP. But I'm not sure what their cap is. Anyways...

Yes, ThEBMaN, you're correct. HP & MP are calculated in a direct ratio from Vitality & Wisdom, though there is some chance of a small amount of variance. The calculation is simply x2.

<p class="">So lets say you're at level 49 and your Vitality is maxed out at 255. (Without accounting for the aforementioned variance) your HP would be 510. Then you play pachisi and your Vitality drops 5 points. But you finished the track with your HP untouched. So now you're level 49 and your Vitality is 250 while your health is at 510.
<p class="">

<p class="">When you hit level 50, your Vitality raises by 3 points. And after that is when your HP is calculated. Which means your HP should be 506. But its not, its 510. So since its higher, you get nothing from leveling up. The only way to get more HP now is the stat seeds or rolling the dice on a [!] pachasi square.
<p class="">

<p class="">So... Yeah.
<p class="">HP = (Vitality * 2)
<p class="">MP = (Wisdom * 2)
<p class="">

<p class="">

<p class="">

<p class="">

<p class="">On a side note, something you can do with that info. Lets say your Vitality is at 50 and your HP is at 100. Then you abuse stat seeds or a (!) pachisi square and get your Vitality all the way up to 200. Then the next time you level up, you'll theoretically get somewhere around 300 HP all in a single level up. Why? Because your Vitality is 200 which means you should have 400 HP. But its only at 100. So the game has to rectify this by dumping enough HP to get it up to where it needs to be. Funny as all hell to see.
Pain and death, just the price of enjoying a fun life...

User Info: jmeister

jmeister
11 months ago#7
The NES version had its own mechanics, but I'm guessing the newer versions tie hte HP/MP stats straight to VIT*2 and INT*2.

So if you lose vit from a board, don't expect more hp from lvl ups until your vit rises above what you previously had. If you gain vit from a board, then you'd probably be getting more hp than normal from your next lvl up because of the extra vit.

I'm basing my guesses on having recently played through the game again. I noticed that the hp gains aren't always vit*2, but your hp is always about vit*2, and if some level up gives lots of vit but not hp than usually the next one give more hp. So the hp gains can overshoot or undershoot vit gains, but it usually balances out. I had a Tough hero, Tough Fighter and Tough warrior in my party in this playthrough so lots of vit&hp gains in the party. Sometimes they got +11 vit but only +6 hp on a lvlup, then the next lvl would give +25 hp and less +vit.

So no code-diving or exact mehhanics, but an educated guess.

This is basically What the poster above also said.

ThEBMaN
10 months ago#8
MurcielagoNoble posted...
So I know this thread is 7 months old, but I thought I'd answer anyways. Never know, someone new to the game might read this and it'll help them out. Or something.

Although... I'm only sure about this in the GBC version. Hopefully the SNES & GBC calculate stat growth exactly same way.

First, every stat has a maximum it can reach. Its 255 for every stat except HP/MP. But I'm not sure what their cap is. Anyways...

Yes, ThEBMaN, you're correct. HP & MP are calculated in a direct ratio from Vitality & Wisdom, though there is some chance of a small amount of variance. The calculation is simply x2.

<p class="">So lets say you're at level 49 and your Vitality is maxed out at 255. (Without accounting for the aforementioned variance) your HP would be 510. Then you play pachisi and your Vitality drops 5 points. But you finished the track with your HP untouched. So now you're level 49 and your Vitality is 250 while your health is at 510.
<p class="">

<p class="">When you hit level 50, your Vitality raises by 3 points. And after that is when your HP is calculated. Which means your HP should be 506. But its not, its 510. So since its higher, you get nothing from leveling up. The only way to get more HP now is the stat seeds or rolling the dice on a [!] pachasi square.
<p class="">

<p class="">So... Yeah.
<p class="">HP = (Vitality * 2)
<p class="">MP = (Wisdom * 2)
<p class="">

<p class="">

<p class="">

<p class="">

<p class="">On a side note, something you can do with that info. Lets say your Vitality is at 50 and your HP is at 100. Then you abuse stat seeds or a (!) pachisi square and get your Vitality all the way up to 200. Then the next time you level up, you'll theoretically get somewhere around 300 HP all in a single level up. Why? Because your Vitality is 200 which means you should have 400 HP. But its only at 100. So the game has to rectify this by dumping enough HP to get it up to where it needs to be. Funny as all hell to see.

That absolutely did help, thanks for posting that even after all this time. Lol it was a long wait for the answer, but better late than never. That is pretty much how I figured it worked but it's good to have it verified. Thanks a bunch :)

Also glad to see that there are others out there that care about these sorts of details in games, for the OCD crowd like myself lol.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest III: Soshite Densetsu e...
  3. Stamina/Wisdom decreases via Pachisi. Good or bad?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A