• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: kamentierr

kamentierr
2 years ago#1
So i have two characters reclassed into Mage at the same time with both having Sexy personality. When i leveled them up once the 1st character got something like 15HP, 10MP while the other got 0HP, 4MP and whoopin 11 Agility. Like, wow stats growth varied wildly in this game. Also i noticed that the first character often got 0 and 1 within the first 10 levels while the other one consistently got better stats from level ups.

Also here's the thing both characters have wildly different stats at first, with the first character have higher overall stats at Lv1. Now that they're Lv.38 their stats looking almost similarly. Does the game balanced the stats growth based on your current stats or something?
Some people are heroes, some merely clap as heroes walk by.

User Info: kamentierr

kamentierr
2 years ago#2
Ok i reclassed them both (to Fighter) at Lv.40 after gaining all Mage spells. Now here's where thing getting interesting. 1st character has like 25 higher STR than the 2nd character at Lv1. Then i leveled them both up to Lv.15 at the same time. 1st character has tons of 0&1 on STR. The other gal also got a lot of 0&1 but she got 4 and 6 on STR like 4 times in a row. And now both have the same STR: 99.

At this point i'm convinced there's some kind of Rubber Band effect in place so that your character got higher stats from level up when their stats are lower than certain threshold. Or maybe it's just RNG constantly fking up my 1st character.
Some people are heroes, some merely clap as heroes walk by.

User Info: _Young-Gamer_

_Young-Gamer_
2 years ago#3
Every Character has random stat gains. You also learn some spells earlier than you're supposed to or sometimes late.

Male and Female characters have different stat growth too and also their personalities affect stat growth. There's lots of things affecting stat growth.
Gaming is Life

User Info: JohnThacker

JohnThacker
1 year ago#4
Yes, there is a rubber band mechanic exactly as you describe for the stats other than HP and MP. (Many of the other games in the series have something similar). Each class has a baseline than scales linearly; if a character is above the baseline when leveling up, then the character will get only 0 or 1 point of increase. Below it, and they will get a normal stat up, the possible values of which vary by class and level. Some classes have similar baselines but different possible "normal" values, with classes like the Fighter rapidly increasing to the baseline whereas the Merchant is slow and steady.

HP and MP are different, they only increase when Vitality and Intelligence do (which also makes it bad to level up a bunch and increase Intelligence in a class that doesn't gain MP, something that the remakes make a little easier, making Merchant -> Sage a much better option, better than starting Fighter or Warrior.)

Also note that this means that using seeds is wasted when a character is close to the baseline. Over the long term they are best used when so far above the baseline that the character will never be below it again anyway; they are also fine to use when so far below that the character will never catch up. (They are also best used after all character class changes are complete.) Vitality and Intelligence seeds are just bad, since they don't give you the HP or MP that you would get for raising the stats at a level up.

The gory details are in the Game Mechanics FAQ for the NES version of the game. (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587249-dragon-warrior-iii/faqs/64752) Since it's for the NES version, it doesn't have the exact details for Thief, it shows Merchant with no MP gain at all, and it's possible that other things are rebalanced for some versions of the game.

User Info: ThEBMaN

ThEBMaN
1 year ago#5
Changing a Melee class to a magic class is a really bad idea.... the Mage will be gimped on MP.
"HAVE YOU.... OR HAVE YOU NOT.... HEARD.... ABOUT.... THE BIRD?"

User Info: ThEBMaN

ThEBMaN
1 year ago#6
So I found something interesting about Vitality/Intelligence and HP/MP. I lost 3 points of both Vitality & Intelligence in a Pachisi course and at first thought this would be a good thing as it would allow me to earn some extra HP/MP by having less Vitality/Intelligence for levels, however, on subsequent levels I was gaining 3 and 4 of each at a time and still gaining no HP or MP. This happened for at least 3 levels which is very odd. It makes me wonder if the Vitality & Intelligence are somehow linked to your HP/MP totals, and if it won't give out HP/MP if they don't match up properly. I am not sure if this is a thing or not, but my level ups without any HP/MP gain seem to suggest that this could be true. I ended up using seeds just to regain the lost Vitality/Intelligence, and I started to earn HP/MP again.

Does anyone know if this is a thing and if the stats are linked somehow?
"HAVE YOU.... OR HAVE YOU NOT.... HEARD.... ABOUT.... THE BIRD?"
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A