• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
8 years ago#71
Ok bad game, you got me. Yet another failure for me.

Game: Rayman Advance

System: GBAdvance

Time Spent on game: 1 hour

Dear god did I not like this game.

I'm gonna make this quick because...well, I didn't finish the game, mainly because it annoyed me.

Let's start with how this game looks. Honestly, it looks like the Putt Putt games,(look it up. It's an early childhood game, which if I remember correctly started on the bloody 3D0!) and I'd say that the way a lot of the beings in the game act, as well as a lot of the dialogue in the game is just as early childhood cartoonish.

Then there's the music...it's probably the main reason I quit. Could it be any more annoying and repetitive. It also feels like each of the songs I heard were a total of 3 seconds long too.

Anyways, I think I stopped playing right after 10 minutes of being in a level which completely had me stumped. The level after you get the hair helicopter. I asked myself, after all of this annoyance, did I truly care enough to continue. One word called to me:

Freedom!

If the annoying visuals and music don't turn you off...the annoying level design probably will be the final strike! Did I mention that this game has really annoying level designs? Because it does! Possibly the worst I've seen in a game.

Oh, and as for me playing this before? I have, for about 5 seconds. Sadly it took me 5 minutes to remember why.

Seriously, Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite Nintendo 64 platformers, but that game at least has a good sense of humor, great level design and really fun controls. It also has quite memorable music and a great cast as well. This game's goofiness is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much!
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill

Superrpgman
8 years ago#72
Alright, now THIS is how you make a Game Boy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game! This game is so...

Game: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers

System: Black and White Game Boy

Time Spent on the game: 2 hours

...Ok, ok, this could be a better game, but it's far more than just a big improvement over Fall of the Foot Clan.

First of all, this is probably the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game where you can both change the controls, and select a difficulty level. Boy am I grateful for the latter, because man is this game challenging, even on easy.

Let's get the bad out of the way. The game's 2nd of 6 levels, it's not hard, but man does it drag. Basically, you're on a skateboard in an auto scrolling level, and there's quite a few gaps with nothing happening. It's kinda breaks the action away, and makes the level seem borderline bland.

There's also the fact that like Fall of the Foot Clan, you get to choose between the 4 turtles, and get to reselect your character at the beginning of each level. You lose all your health, and you lose that turtle. The problem that I've seen is that Donatello is the only one with decent range. Even Leonardo seems to have a pathetic range, and you're better off jump kicking most enemies if you're not Donatello. In other words, if you lose Donatello, you're going to have a VERY hard time, which is quite a shame. So what I ended up doing was play through all but one of the levels with Donatello himself.

Ok, let's get to overview:

First level is quite fun, a simple intro level, where you fight who I assume is Bebop or Rocksteady. The battle goes by quickly, with him running away crying.

Second level well...I already covered this. At the end of the second level, you again fight who I think is either Bebop or Rocksteady.

Third level was...well, I don't remember it, but I know that you fight Krang, who is inside a weird fighter pilot type spaceship.

Fourth level was when I tried out Leonardo. Man was this a mistake. There was a midboss pizza monster. Yeah, that's right. The regular enemies in the Sewer level in Turtles in Time, well you fight one of them here. If you play this game, and use someone besides Donatello, then I hope that you have better luck than I did, as this boss's range will be a massive advantage that you won't have. Then you fight the real boss, shredder himself. He kinda looks like he does in Turtles In Time, only without any badass moves.

(continued)

Superrpgman
8 years ago#73
The Fifth level if I remember correctly is where the technodrome shows up and goes underground, and you go after it. This level is quite fun, with a lot of Indiana Jones and Contra elements. You end up fighting Baxter Stockman, The Fly version. In many ways it's a poor man's version of himself in Turtles in Time. The real boss is one of the Stone Warriors similar to the ones in Turtles in Time as well, only he curls up in a stone ball and rolls around, and is overall a lot more formidable opponent.

Now for the final level. This level is definitely long, that's for sure, but it sure is exciting, keeping it from getting even remotely repetitive. In it(the technodrome) you end up having to fight another Stone Warrior, which is quite harder than the first. Then you fight Shredder.Yes, this is the only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game where the final battle with him is him as a Mid-boss. Sure in Fall of the Foot Clan he's the next to last boss, but he's still the actual boss of a level, and not a midboss at all. Anyways, even without any cool powers, he's still probably the hardest boss in the game, and I couldn't seem to beat him with states without finishing at half health.

Finally you go after Super Krang. I think it's kinda funny how the only way to damage him is to jump kick him. It's like the game designers at the end of the game realized the problem with the other turtles range being so pathetic, and wanted to make up for it. Anyways, I had more than enough health remaining to take him out with no problem.

The ending is basically just the credits, and Shredder laughing and the "End," signaling that he'll be back.

Quite the fun game. Definitely the best TMNT handheld game I've ever played. I recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of game.

Up tomorrow: We return yet again to the Game Boy Advance, with the first time I intentionally play a game I've heard nothing but bad news about. Why am I playing it? Tune in tomorrow night to find out.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#74
Sorry that I'm so behind. Haven't had much time to be on the pc lately for a decent enough amount of time lately. Definitely not reaching my quota of 15 in a month now, that's for sure.

Anyways...

God do I have something different planned tonight!

Game: Tweety and the Magic Gems

System: Game Boy Advance

Time spent on the game: 1 hour

First of all, let's get out of the way why I chose this game.

Basically, years ago, and a month or so before the Game Boy Advance came out in the US, about 6 or so different games for the GBA were reviewed. There were 2 games that caught my eye.

One was Super Mario Advance, aka the Super Mario Bros 2 USA remake, which is part of a series that I....well, don't get me wrong. It's an incredible series, but gotten myself so burnt out it that if I play any of the official games in the series, remake or otherwise for more than an hour or so, I get a very, very powerful boredom induced headache. In other words, don't count on seeing me play Super Mario Bros 1-3, or Super Mario World 1-2 on this project. Same goes for the zelda titles(Well, save one but I'll deal with that later.) I'm sorry, but it's just not something I have within me anymore, and probably never will.

Anyways, the other is today's project. Tweety and the Magic Gem. I've literally heard nothing good about the game, but at the same time, it's a Mario Party type game, and I find them to be quite fun, if you play them while listening to your own music(seriously Mario Party series, I can't stand your music, and the voice acting gives me such a headache), and completely ignoring the horrid dialogue. As per this situation, I'm going to put this game on Mute, and listen to a concert dvd to my 3rd favorite band, the German/English Industrial Electronica band known as Blutengel.(Yeah, I have some bizarre tastes, I'll admit it.)

Ok, that out of the way, let's do this!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#75
So the game starts with a really stupid storyline of Tweety finding a Treasure Chest which he opens, causing him to start turning to stone. Granny(who is a witch in this game) tells 6 other looney tunes characters that she needs 5 gems that are spread all over the world to reverse the spell. You choose one of the looney tunes characters, and 3 opponents, and are put on the game board.

The game is just one big game board, with spots that give you access to smaller spots on the game board that lead to smaller game boards, which give you access to the gems. All you have to do to get the gem is walk over the spot. There is a currency system in the game, but you just buy different items in shops. I find the fact that you can go any direction at any time quite refreshing for a Mario Party clone.

The game ends when someone has all 5 of the gems, but the winner is actually judged by who did most of 5 different actions, but I can't honestly remember what they are. I didn't get all 5, but I and the dog looney tune character that did tied at the end, which apparently is good enough to beat the game. Bizarre, but it still counts as beating the game, so that's good enough for me.

I gotta say that despite what I've heard, the game isn't really that bad. Sure, it's mindless, and might as well be rated early childhood, but other than that, you could do a lot worse. There's nothing really annoying about the gameplay, it's just got nothing good to offer. I don't really give games a score on this project, but like I said, this game is okay. Don't see myself ever playing it again, but I still give this game a very mild recommendation.

Up next: I do this month's first RPG.(well actually, just an rpg.)

Superrpgman
7 years ago#76
bump again.

Superrpgman
7 years ago#77
bump