• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive

User Info: MetaIFaceDOOM

MetaIFaceDOOM
8 years ago#21
Beating a game daily. Not sure if impressive.
How Doom hold heat, and preach non-violence?
Shhh, he 'bout to start the speech, c'mon, silence!

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
8 years ago#22
Eh, well I'm not trying to impress anyone. I mean, I even cheat in games at times.

I'm just trying to have a little fun. I like the way beating a game feels, since I'm NOTORIOUSLY bad at actually finishing them, and I'm trying to encourage others to do the same.
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill

Superrpgman
8 years ago#23
Due to several technical errors, I ended up playing something completely different today. Also, I'd like to say that I didn't actually play the game boy version of Pac-Land, it was the NES version.

Ok, that out of the way, I have something special in store today.

RPG: The Final Fantasy Legend, or SaGa.

System: Black and White Game Boy.

Time spent on the game: 6 hours

Cheats used: Infinite Money, Max Health(but not infinite health) and Max other stats. Also, an infinite amount of uses for items.

The experience:

Here we are with a special edition of this project. What's so special about it? I'm not wearing any pa...I mean it's the first game on the project which is an rpg. What's also special about the project? Well, I've never played more than about a half hour of this game, long before the year 2000. It's also special because I'm...going to give out...

Final Fantasy Legends 1, aka SaGa 1 SPOILERS:

Ok, so the situation is that I've only played like 5 minutes of the game. My EX-best friend, he brought the game over, with a "complete file" and told me that he had beaten the game, and even told me the ending, which I myself attempted. I"ll get more into that in a bit.

Ok, let's get some comparison between this game, and my favorite Black and White Game Boy RPG, this games sequel out of the way. Anyways, the game's super short opening is kinda vague, basically saying that you're going to explore the unknown. You choose your main characters race, sex, and name him, then you're given control. Seriously, that's all you get. No awesome Star Wars style opening. I'd actually go so far as to say that with the exception to the end of the dialogue in the final battle, all of it just...feels way too random. The dialogue between the main character and everyone he speaks to in everything related to the storyline was what makes Final Fantasy Legend II so great!

Anyways, in this game, you are literally plopped into the games starting town. From here, you're supposed to go to a local guild, and choose 3 other party members. I myself wanted to make sure I could beat this game in a day, and with the codes I used, it made more sense to have a part of all humans. Little did I know that the game is actually quite(though not entirely.) geared towards humans. I also didn't realize that the game actually sort of expects that if you're human, you should have max stats by about 2/5 into the game, or at least according the the walkthrough on the guide for this site that I often referred to. You're also expected to constantly buy the newest weapons, so I ended up saving myself a lot of time like I was aiming for with the codes, but it didn't make the battles actually easier overall, especially with the boss battles.

Anyways, the game doesn't really give you any hints in the beginning for where you need to go or do, and the world map is basically a big maze in the beginning of the game, which was quite annoying, and I probably would have spent 5 hours trying to figure out what one of the 3 or so main things you're supposed to do in the beginning to advance the quite strained plot.

(concluded in next post)

Superrpgman
8 years ago#24
After these 3 parts, where you get 3 different pieces of equipment, you're supposed to put them on a statue, which I once again would have spent hours figuring out that you're supposed to do this, and then you fight a boss. From here, you get a sphere that is basically a key unlocking a tower, which you go through a few floors before finding a door that you need another sphere to open, and another leading to another world.

The first being your bland, generic Dragon Quest world, and unlike several other 8 and 16 bit fantasy rpgs, there's no interesting characters or plot twists that really matter to make it worth caring about. Things just sorta happen.

The other 3 worlds are...well they're not as bland, but up until the 4th level, it's not all that interesting, when you reach a world in something of an apocalypse thanks to giant flying monster. It's kind of a Mad Max biker world, where you actually do get ride a bike and everything, which looks cool and all, and although it stops the giant monster from attacking you like he does every step you take when you're on the world map, it's purely superficial otherwise.

(Actually concluded in next post.)

Superrpgman
8 years ago#25
Anyways, after you finish the 4th world, you ascend higher into the tower, and make your way to the top, and face who Asura, who you think is the last boss. He offers you a piece of every world if you join him, but your characters of course say that they're not interested in owning the universe, and instead their mission is to understand it. You beat him(He's quite challenging by the way. Even with the cheats I used, it took me 3 tries, and even then, he did kill off 2 of my characters.) The game makes you think that you've beaten the game, with you back in the very first town, with a lot of different characters from the other worlds greeting you and such. It makes you think that this is possibly the first non-pc turn based rpg where after you beat the game, you'll get to actually interact with the ending. Then you find someone who's been talking to you in the tower every time near the exit to the next world, and tells you to go back into the tower. You go back in the tower, and it's COMPLETELY changed. It's a straightforward, yet quite annoying final dungeon, where you need to constantly go up the correct side of the escalator, or get spammed by constant random attacks, which you most likely will NOT survive.

Eventually you reach the top and find out that the creator of the universe is at the top, and that everything that exists is because he was bored, and wanted to do a test. He offers to grant you a wish, but your party tells him that they're pissed off that the supreme almighty sees them as nothing but something to skrew around with.

I was told by my ex-best friend that when you beat the game, god comes back right away, telling you that he cannot be killed, and the whole journey has just a video game. That however, is complete garbage! Looking back, his stats were not anywhere near maxed out, and half his party was dead, and there's just no way he could have completed the game. My guess is that he read what the ending was, and misunderstood.

Here's what happens. You kill the creator of the universe. You see another door, leading to a completely unknown world, which I assume is the actual REAL WORLD, and the party thinks about going into it for a second, but then they change their mind, and decide to just try to enjoy their own world.

Overall, I gotta say that it was quite the enjoyable experience. Sure, most of the game was bland, but the last 4/5th of the game, aka about last 2 hours of the 5 hours and 15 minutes I spent on this game, they really picked things up. That said, if I had to grind for as long as the guide suggested I'd have to to afford to max out my stats...holy cow that would have burned me out! I can't say that I actually recommend playing through this game, especially without cheat codes. The battle system is quite generic and mindless once you understand it.(Which isn't that hard, especially if you only use humans.) and grinding in it seems like an absolute bloody repetitive nightmare! The idea of people going through batteries just by spending countless hours grinding on the old game boy system just plain blows my mind, in a very painful way.

Up tomorrow: Batman!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#26
Let's do this!

Game: Batman

System: B&W Game Boy

Time spent on the game: 2 hours

I tried to make this short, but I couldn't help myself.

This game was nothing like I expected. I assumed that it would basically be a shorter, arrange mode version of the NES Batman, the same way Ducktales on the Game Boy is for the NES version. I even looked for codes just in case it turned out just as hard.

Well, the bad news is that for 1 2 part level in this game, it turns into an auto scrolling shoot em up, and it's pretty freakin hard, and I had to resort to making myself invincible for those 1 2 part levels. The good news is that the rest of game is quite enjoyable, and absolutely nothing like the NES game.

This is yet another superhero game where you are who you are in name only. You may be batman, but you fight everything with a gun. Like Contra, you get to upgrade your weapon, and you actually have quite a few choices, such as the wavegun, Power Shot, and Lazer. Well actually, I guess that's not many choices, That said, the Lazer pistol sure is fun, as it seems to go through everything.

The first 2 sets of 2 levels are quite fun, with a boss battle between them, where you get to fight the man who becomes the Joker. You shoot him enough, and falls into the acid that turned him into who he is.

Then the third set 2 levels shows up, and it turns into the type of game that I have been purposefully avoiding on this project. It becomes a bloody auto side scrolling rail shooter, similar to Gradius. Don't get me wrong, I have no specific problems with them, I myself just cannot play them correctly. If I hadn't made myself invincible, this would not be an enjoyable experience.

Then the 4th and final 2 levels, where the Joker has called you to confront him in the cathedral. It's fine and all, with the second level scrolling by itself, kinda similar to Super Mario Bros 3.

Finally, you face the Joker. Unfortunately, it's pretty much the same fight, with slightly different attacks, and he can take a bit more damage. Plus, he actually looks more like the Penguin than the joker thanks to the fact that he's so small. Yeah, that's another complaint I have. You're as small in this game as you are in Super Mario Land, and it makes people not look like themselves because of it. Oh well, that's the B&W Game Boy for you in its early days.

Anyways, this once again has gone on for a bit too long. I have a little more that I want to say, specifically about the ending, but I'll save that for the archive on my board, which you can check my sig for the link.

As for whether this game is worth playing or not...well, the Batwing part really drags it down, so I wouldn't say it's fun playing it without cheats, so no.

Up tomorrow: We return to the Double Dragon series, on the SNES!

The ending is kinda disappointing to be honest. No memorable line like "You killed my parents. Now it's your turn to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight." There are a few times in the game where there is dialogue, but none of it is from Batman himself, which is quite a shame.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#27
Game: Super Double Dragon

System: SNES

Time spent on the game: 2 hours

Cheats used: Infinite Lives up to the final boss.

I'm gonna make this quick

This was fun and all I guess. Definitely an improvement over the original, that's definitely for sure. That said...

The game kinda feels like it has the same difficulty the whole game, with the exception to a few bosses who can be a pain.

I can't even imagine playing this game without cheats. You have 2 lives, and 5 continues, and like Rival Turf, you get to continue from the exact spot where you died when you continue. Unfortunately, this game has a serious problem.

There are literally no health pickups whatsofreakingever! What's more, when you reach a new level, your health doesn't come back either. To make matters worse, I could be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get more lives.

Like I said, I can't even imagine playing this game without cheats.

Oh, and one more thing. You don't get to see your opponents health at all, giving the whole bosses that just won't die vibe. Joy!

If you don't mind using cheats like I did, you might enjoy this like I did. I also won't deny that this game is beatable, but only for the beat em up masters! Otherwise, prepare to be frustrated.

Up tomorrow: I play the remaining game of the announced 5.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#28
I can't believe I've been completely neglecting this topic, when I had 3 or so that I posted on the other forums.

Anyways, gonna just get these posted here.

Game: Psycho Dream

System:SNES

Time Spent on the game: 30 minutes

Ok, I know I said that I was going to play through this game, along with the 4 other games on the list, but...well...

I don't know if the game really is uber glitch with really bad music, but every copy of the game I found made this into pure garbage. Plus, I thought that this game was fan-translated looking at the videos I've seen of this game on youtube. Dear god was I wrong!

For all I know, this game is so hated that no one wants to translate it.

What I'm trying to say is, this is the first game on the project that I won't be able to complete. Believe me, if you're at all pissed off that this is happening, believe me, I feel 10 times as bad.

Tomorrow: I announce the next 5 games on the lists. Thankfully they're all games I at very least know are playable.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#29
Dear sweet mercies! Why did I choose this game? Don't get me wrong, it's way better than Psycho Dream, but it's basically just an extremely less stinky piece of radioactive brahimin crap!

Game: Amazing Spider-Man

System: Game Boy

Time spent on this game: 30 minutes

Cheats used: Invincibility

Gonna make this one really short.

This game is decent I guess, with its quite different bosses.

Well actually, it would be a decent game, if the second level didn't repeat itself 3 times, with the only main difference being different bosses. and if you can forgive the crushing difficulty. In this game, you have 3 lives, and as far as I can tell, you can't earn any more, and finding extra health...doesn't seem to be an option for most levels.

Sure, you can take about 8 hits before losing a health, but you don't get any lost health restored between levels, so that means that if you're hit 8 times over the course of 3 levels, you just lost a life. Add in the fact that this is one of those platformers where you can very easily fall down a pit in the 3 levels that repeat themselves, and you got a recipe for true disaster.

Oh, and yeah, the idea that there's dialogue between Spidey and the boss before every level is quite a good idea. Too bad it's nothing but superficial taunts over and over. The ending dialogue between Spidey and Mary Jane is also as forgettable as it gets.

Anyways, This once again went on for way too long. That's all I have to say about this game.

Up tomorrow: Something that is still quite hard, but actually a lot of fun to play.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#30
bump
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive
  • Topic Archived