• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
8 years ago#11
I figured that I'd get back in the swing of things with something extremely short and beatable, yet considered an absolute classic. That game:

Game: Donkey Kong

System: NES

Time spent on the game: 3 minutes and 35 seconds(Like Popeye, I'm giving an exact time since it's so short.)

You know how much I said that I love Popeye on the NES? Well, I still enjoy this game a lot, but nowhere near as much. I'd also like to say that although I can beat the game in near half the time, it's merely because I've gone through the game so many times that...well, I couldn't do it blindfolded, but I can do it with very little effort.

The first level isn't that hard, especially if you know the pattern the barrels will roll. seriously, if you know how to go up which ladder, and when to do it like I do, it probably can be beaten in about a minute.

The second level is even more pathetic if you know what to do, although I guess it's a little more easy to make a mistake.

Actually, you know what? All 3 levels of this game are quite pathetic if you've played through the game a few times when I think about it. And in fact, it kinda felt robotic. Honestly, I actually wonder if I've gotten tired of this game now that I think of it. To be honest, beating this game didn't feel that great. To me it just felt like it sorta happened.

Anyways, this has gone on for far too long, but I do feel like following up on it. If you want to read more, check out the archive for this post my "secret" board, aka the A View to a Kill Board, listed in my sig.

Well...

I don't know, maybe it's just that I enjoy Popeye so much, and playing through it was so much fun. Yes, the level structure in Popeye pretty similar, and its MUCH easier than Donkey Kong, even if you've never played it, but you know what? Donkey Kong feels so robotic. Just an overly straightforward get from point a to point b for the first 2 levels, and the last level...even if it isn't a matter of getting from point a to point b, it can be done in what seems to be any order, and is still a pathetic joke like the first 2 levels.

Don't get me wrong, Popeye is a pathetic joke as well, and has just as many levels, but it's a joke that actually makes me smile. You basically have a fat opponent chasing you around while you're catching hearts, musical notes, or the letters from the word help over and over. It doesn't feel robotic in the slightest, because quite frankly it's more of a game of keeping a bit of distance, while making sure not to miss any of the levels items slowly floating towards the bottom. It feels like more of a way to just goof off for a few minutes, which is not something I want to do most of the time in a game, but quite frankly, it's a better experience than Donkey Kong itself.

Up tomorrow: The first Disney game for the project. The Game Boy version of a beloved NES title. Is it as good?
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill

Superrpgman
8 years ago#12
The first Disney game on the project. Something I've never played. I kinda have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed it and all, but...well, read on.

Game: Ducktales

The system: Game Boy Original

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour) 1 hours

The experience:

It's kinda hard not to compare this game to the awesomeness that is the beloved Ducktales on the NES, and I'm not even going to try. The NES version is easily superior, by far! The Game Boy has every single music track the NES has, but of course it's not as good, but at least it's not annoying. This also has every level the NES version has, but they're even shorter.

Regardless however, this game has some interesting differences. For one, there are a couple different bosses(I think.) and a lot of the levels have some pretty big differences, even if they are shorter. The last battle itself is pretty interesting, and the way the battle tricks you into thinking that it's too late to attack the boss, as he's become transparent. Not to mention that the fact that the music is still just plain awesome, even if it's not as good, and it's still got several cameos from several of the characters from the show.

I still would recommend the NES version over it, but if you've played the NES version to death like me, you could sort of consider this game as an arrange mode.

There's once again more I want to say, but I'll just save it for the archive.

Up tomorrow: Another platformer, from something of a cult hit series. I hated the first game in the series, and this SNES game is sort of a return to the series's roots. Will I hate it as well?

Just wanted to add that I find it bizarre that when Gizmoduck shows up, I find it bizarre that in this version, it doesn't actually look like he does anything. Seriously, it's like the wall blocking your way destroys itself, since gizmoduck doesn't actually shoot anything.

I'd also like to take this time to admit that yes, I relied on the maps on this site to get me through Transylvania. I always hated the teleport puzzles in the NES, and this is no exception.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#13
Game: Super Adventure Island

System: SNES

Time spent on game: 1 hour

The experience:

Like I said yesterday, this game is a return to the series's roots. Like I also said yesterday, I despised the original, for many reasons. The biggest reasons being that unless you're currently invulnerable, or are on the auto-scrolling skateboard, you die in one hit. The other is that the game is way way wayx10 too freaking long, and I swear, a lot of the levels are just slightly altered versions of previous levels, with different enemy placements. Add those two factors along with the facts that 1ups are rare, and there are zero continues, and you've got one of the most repetitive NES games ever made.

The NES Adventure Island II thankfully changed things. It was actually quite ahead of its time. I'd go into that, but I don't want this to go on for too long, so check out my board for that. Again, see my board for that. As well as a new feature I just added on the board as well.

Anyways, basically this game goes for 4 sets of 4 levels. It also is a lot less sparring on extra lives, and none of the levels repeat. There are actually quite a bit of small cutscenes as well, but they literally come out of nowhere, and don't really fit with what was just going on. For example, for no reason you'll appear on a small boat, and then a whale will eat you, which leads to you fighting some weird shelled enemy. I also gotta say that the bosses in this game, with the exception to a skeleton boss, and the last 2 bosses are pathetic, and beatable in mere seconds!

I would only recommend playing this game out of sheer boredom, and no other reason. It won't really frustrate you, but you'll beat the final boss, which is just a lame rip off of Bowser fight in SMB3, see the credits and just plain not care.

The NES Adventure Island II thankfully changed things. It was actually quite ahead of its time. I'd go into that, but this has gone on for long enough, so check out my board for that. Again, see my board for that. Also, I just added a new feature to the board, so check it out.

Up tomorrow: The game that is considered to be the very first NES beat em up title.

Anyways...

You know how SMW had Yoshi, and SMBIII had all the item powerups that you can store and choose anytime on the world map? Well in the Adventure Island sequels, you are able to collect and store different types of dinosaurs, each with very different types of abilities. Unlike SMW, none of them were useless(I'm looking at you red yoshi.) and unlike SMBIII, before the level you can actually store whatever dinosaur you currently have equipped. Like I said, it was quite ahead of its time. Honestly, Super Adventure Island would be like if SMW didn't have yoshi, you had no way to fly, and the only item powerups were fire flowers, and the hammer attack in SMB3. Yeah, I agree, it would suck!

Overall, I would just like to say that this is way too big of a step back. The game may look better than the NES games, but the gameplay could have easily made this games title Adventure Island 1.5. Seriously, it's so bloody in between Adventure Island I and II, and is so short that it's like an expansion pack!

Oh, and here's a challenge for you. Go through the game, and actually find a way to to not once pick up the tomahawk. Seriously, there's way too many places in the game where you have the choice of either picking up what at least I consider to be a worse weapon, or die. It's unfair!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#14
Game: Kung-Fu

The system: NES

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour) 1 hour

The experience:

I'm gonna make this quick.

This game is the first NES beat em up. While there definately were worse beat-em ups on this system, considering that it was the first, I'd say that it's not bad. Sure, like Contra it has an annoying curve ball boss, but it's not as bad. Basically, it's a humped back magician, who you have to keep some distance from, and then get a few hits in, and repeat about 3 times before he falls over.

I also wanna say that at random times it seems that the controls seem a bit stiff. And a lot of regular enemies can kill you in 2-3 hits, meaning that perhaps rare bad luck can kill you. Shame. Oh well, beating the last boss was quite satisfying. Ending however, a bit too short and simple, even for an NES game. Basically one saying that you won, but your happiness will not last long. Considering that as far as I know this did NOT get a sequel, I'm not sure what it was going to mean by that. Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Ok, that's all I have to say for this one today. I don't even have anything extra to add in the archive on my secret board.

However, right here I'd like to say that I will have a big annoncement on the 13th, so get ready!

Up tomorrow: A bizarre B&W GB platformer with zeldalike(Well, more like Startropics elements, but you get the idea.) elements I've played very litttle of. What made me decide to play it? I want more capcom!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#15
Game: Gargoyle's Quest

The system: Game Boy

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour) 3 hours

Cheats used: Infinite lives, health, and flight.

The experience:

Well gee, this was 12 hours I'll never get back.

Oh wait! The timer says 2 hours and 31 minutes? That's odd, because it literally felt like I was playing all bloody day.

Seriously, this is the most repetitive Black and White Game Boy title I've ever played. Even with cheats, and save states, this game was a bloody pain!

How much did I hate your Gargoyle's Quest? Let me count the ways!

For one, almost everything other than spikes and 20% or so of the projectiles in the game, about 2/5 or so so into the game will cause you to automatically die in just ONE, count em ONE hit. Not even Ghost N Goblins had this problem. Plus for a long time you have a mere 2 health points. You lose those 2 lives(which btw, you can NOT get more than 2) and it's game over.

Then you have to insert the annoying, rarely given, always changing 8 digit password. Would it kill the game to have a save system? Final Fantasy Legend, aka the original SaGa came out this year, and it had a bloody save system! Honestly, other than out of pure laziness, will someone please tell me why so many NES and Game Boy titles relied on a password system. I mean, especially after the original Zelda's success!

Oh, and let's not forget that when you lose a life, no matter what your max life is, you ALWAYS are stuck with 2 health points, and you have to use a VERY rare(Seriously, other than buying them from very expensive merchants which sell only one item, I found merely ONE. I imagine there's more, but I couldn't find another one.) item to restore your life.

Seriously, this game has so much ridiculous bs in it that it's insane! I'd go on from here, but once again, this is long enough, so I'll save more of the rant for my archive. Again, see my signature for the link.

Bottom Line is this. Even with the codes I used, this game still ridiculously hard. If you absolutely have to play this game, at the very least give yourself an infinite amount of lives.

Up tomorrow: An SNES title, which is hopefully better than this crap. Hopefully...

(Added notes for the archive in next post.)

Superrpgman
8 years ago#16
This game does have one good thing going for it, and it's the fact that you can kinda fly in a straight left and right line. If it weren't for the fact that I wanted to finish this game for the project, the flying would be what would have kept me going. Oh, and the music was pretty good, and the ending was kinda interesting. Basically, you are told that you are given the opportunity to conquer the earth realm, and I'm guessing that it either leads into Ghost's N' Goblins, or maybe even Gargoyle's Quest II. Too bad I had already decided that I wouldn't torture myself with Ghost N'Goblins again(Damn constant swarms of multiple invincible Satans showing up in the middle of the game.), and after this experience, I can't even imagine what would possess me to play the sequel.

And please, allow me to stress 2 more things.

No continuing when you die., instead you enter a password EVERY time! And then you still are stuck with 2 health points. The only crap I can compare this to is Kid Icarus on the NES, which is a game I was actually crazy enough to attempt beating with merely save states, and actually got to the second castle. God, that is possibly my most hated Nintendo NES title. Ok, well, not my most hated, but it's pretty damn close.

In case It's not obvious, this is the worst game I've played on this project so far. It's not laughably bad, it's annoyingly repetitive, and overly hard in the wrong way game that makes you want the game to end! Thank god for game shark! It made this game a considerably less annoying experience.

Holy crap this was bad!

Oh, and one more thing. I do know what EXACTLY would possess me to play the sequel. Remembering whatever BS that Nintendo Power said about this title, and convincing myself that it might actually have a massively small chance of being true.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#17
Game: Hook

System: SNES

Time spent on the game: 2 hours

The experience:

First of all, I know that this is long, but this game is just so awesome, and I've literally never heard anyone talk about anywhere on this site. I just had to cover everything I have to say about the game here.

Anyways,now here with something quite special.

Like the SNES Home Alone 2, my brother(and this time I as well.) rented this game a few times, and beat it via game genie codes. Well, I can say now that we didn't need codes.

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't a pathetic joke like Home Alone 2. In fact it's decently challenging. Also unlike Home Alone 2, this game is VERY worth playing. The main reason I think we rented this game was because for a very long time after my family saw it in theatres, it was mine and my brothers favorite movie, and is still one of my all time favorite Robin Williams movies. Seriously, if you haven't seen the movie, you should. It's both very heartwarmingly lighthearted without becoming cheesy, and flat out hilarious at the same time.

I'll never forget the line "Oh Rufio, why don't you go suck on a dead dogs nose?" It's still one of the most creative insults I've ever heard, and considering when the movie was released, I'm amazed it was allowed in a pg-13 movie.

Anyways, the game. First of all, the music. It varies from great to HOLY COW! WAS THE ICE THEME AN INSPIRATION FOR DKC? Honestly, even though most of the music is basically just a really good midi version of the songs from the movie, it's composed so well that it's unbelievable! It's got some of the most underrated music on the SNES.

Second of all, there's the fact that this game actually has quite a lot of dialogue for an SNES Action game. The intro has at least about 5 or so sentences, and while it definately could have been written better, it with the combo of the great music really makes you feel nostalgic for the movie, and both excited to play the game.

Ok, and the gameplay. God is it fun. You go through like 12 or so different levels, all but one of them feels completely unique, and most have their own theme. Yeah sorry, I can't help but talk about the music. Anyways, you basically go around in several levels, which consist of platforming levels where you go around stabbing mainly pirates, as you travel from level to level on the quite impressive looking, though completely straightforward map. Flight is also involved, as Tink the Fairy is all over the place, granting fairy dust.

This really doesn't affect me much, but I guess if I were to complain, it would be over the fact that there is no different music in the final battle. That and no flying is involved in the battle as well. It's still quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Finally, the very last 30 or so seconds of the game, where what is said, and the way the music ends. It's a nice reminder of something I've never been able to do, and as I'm typing this all down, it literally makes me want to cry.

Just live, not merely exist, and you will have the greatest adventure of all.

Ok, that's everything. Like Kung Fu, I have nothing more to add, even to the archive...other than a massive announcement. The way I'm posting these rants are about to change!

Up tomorrow: The Pac Man franchise finally pops up in this project!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#18
Wow...just...I think I just shaved a week off of my life!

Game: Pac-Land

The system: Game Boy

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour) 2 hours

The experience:

I honestly thought that at the very least Gargoyle's Quest would be the worst game I'd play for a week or so. And I honestly was looking forward to this game. I even went out of my way to make sure I played this game as well. Big freakin mistake!

This is possibly the worst platformer I have ever played, from a when developed big name company anyways.

Basically, you're who I assume is Pac-Man, and you arms and legs. You move him left and right with the a and b button, and you jump with any button on the d pad which is just plain fine. I honestly got used to the controls right away. What has given me a massive migraine is the gameplay. The way the game is played.

About half of the levels, I guess they're fine. Hell, the first 5 or so levels are just plain fine, and I was actually having fun. Then the game shows its demonic form. Turns out most of this games 16 levels are all about platforming based puzzles. Now don't get me wrong, I generally hate platforming based puzzles, but hey, if there's some logic behind them, it's something at the very least I can respect. The problem however is how they are in this game.

What mostly every puzzle requires you to do, is jump on a ghost, and then jump off. THe problem is that the ghosts are so unbelievably random that chances are 90% of the time, even with save states, you will get killed.

I'd like to follow up on this, but I'll stop the rant here. If you want a bit more, check out the link in my sig.

Up tomorrow: We return to the Double Dragons

Honestly, if this games death rate with save states is this bad, and btw, adds probably a good hour and a half to the games very short 16 levels, it's a sign that this game wasn't really beta tested past the first few levels.

Sad really. Like I said, the first 5 or so levels are actually quite fun. Oh, and you have 3 lives, and no continues by the way. If you're really gonna go on for 16 levels Pac-Land, at least give me some continues! Oh well, I guess you could blame for being released before continues were even thought of much, even in the arcades themselves!

Hmm, what was the first Namco game that allowed some sort of continuation from where you left off after you lose all your lives. Now that would make a good trivia question!

User Info: MetaIFaceDOOM

MetaIFaceDOOM
8 years ago#19
Not sure if impressed.
How Doom hold heat, and preach non-violence?
Shhh, he 'bout to start the speech, c'mon, silence!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#20
You're....not sure that you impressed in what way exactly?
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive
  • Topic Archived