• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
8 years ago#1
This is me deciding to begin archive this project, before I get too behind. Read on, and you'll understand what this project is. Please, if you've already read this before, I've rewritten it a bit, so check out what was changed:

Some of you probably know of my project that I had off and on, where I'd play a few NES games a day, each for the first 20 minutes, and give my thoughts on the game in the form of 1-2 paragraphs. I ended up playing pretty much every US NES game released up to 1990. I am finally going to say that I am NOT going back to the project again, ever.

There are many reasons I am not going back to the project. But basically, it boils down to this. The project left me feeling really empty. Sure, I would play a lot, but honestly, there was really no sense of accomplishment, and well, I really wanted a decent amount of interaction between other people with it. Well, today I have come up with a new idea.

My idea is simply this. I want to create a topic which encourages myself and others to actually just beat games.

I want to return to my roots, or should I say to the roots I wanted when I was younger when I knew what would have made it better, when I just wanted to beat games, all the time. To feel the joy of finishing several games.

So it'll be done like this. Anyone who wants to participate in the project at all, all you have to do is, as often as you'd like, try to beat a game or 2, in one day. One that you know is beatable within a day. I myself will basically be sticking to the NES, Genesis, SNES, GB and etc titles, as pretty much every single one of them is beatable in merely a day, and I recommend others do the game, but feel free to play others yourself.

Then post about it in this topic, saying as little or as much as you desire. Feel free to use whatever method you desire to beat the game, cheating or otherwise(I myself can see playing through Secret of Mana with game genie codes. The ending music and last dungeon are so made of god and win.) The idea is that this will encourage others to go through and actually beat games.

I only have one request. feel free to suggest different ways to play certain games, but don't flat out attack someone for the way they play.

Oh, and feel free to post your own comments in this topic, on this board.

Anyways, I'll start posting every comment I've made on this topic.
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill

Superrpgman
8 years ago#2
The game: Contra

The system: NES

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour): 2 hours

The experience:

You know, I picked this game because I wanted to start with something short and simple, yet well known, at least among NES fans. The game is definitely short and simple, and while I remember it being challenging(Even with save states. Yes, I use save states in any game where it's an option.) I don't remember it throwing any annoying curve balls. I forgot about the snow level, where there's an incredibly annoying spiked-snow plow truck boss. The weapon powerup I used up to its point was the swirling fire ball gun. It seemed to do quite a bit of damage, even on bosses.

Then the annoying boss shows up. His first attacks sucks, being a basic, slow moving 3 bullet shot attack. I kinda laugh at this, thinking that this is all he's going to do, after changing colors twice and still doing the same thing. Here the curve ball comes in. Turns out after 15 seconds or so, he becomes invincible, and slowly moves towards you. He's so big unfortunately, that even after reloading states several times, I find out that there's no way to completely jump over him. I get so frustrated that I actually decide to quickly consult a FAQ. Turns out that the weapon I use isn't as powerful as I think it is, and that the only way to beat the boss(unless you're really really good at button mashing) in time is through either the Rapid shot, or what I ended up using, the "Wazer Wifle". Beat him the first try with it too. After that, I got the Rapid Shot, and kept it for the rest of the game. The last boss was a blast to fight. I even ended up beating him without save states. It's one of those situations where I was glad I had all those lives saved up, and could just let loose, try to avoid what I can, and just destroy the heart!

The ending was short and simple, yet satisfying, and like so many old school 90's arcade games, you get to start the game over after the credits, with as many lives and continues as you had previously.

Oh, and btw, this was the second time I've been through this game. It's really fun with states, but I just am NOT skilled enough to play the game otherwise.

Something I learned from this experience: If it's a game with weapon powerups, for ***** sakes, find out which is considered to be the best, and try to stick with it.

Fun fact: In a certain computer version of the game(by computer I mean like commodore 64, Amiga, MS-X etc) The game has a very unique and shocking ending, especially for its time. I don't wanna give spoilers, but if anyone wants to see it, tell me and I'll provide a link.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#3
Game: Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

The system: Game Boy Original

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour) 3 hours

The experience:

I picked this game because, along with Contra being the game I've beaten that I knew would be short and simple, yet still in a well known series, as well as something I've never played.

I knew pretty much nothing going in, other than what I remember Nintendo Power covering it around the time that it came out. Let me just say that what I remember them saying turned out to be complete BS, and playing through the game proved that whoever was in charge of covering it didn't even bother to complete the bloody game! But that's enough about my hate for that magazine for now.

Well, I also knew about the previous game on the Game Boy Game. It was so freakin bad that I couldn't help but be wary about this title. Especially with a sequel to a very crappy Oblivion clone, and reading reviews that gave it good scores even though it's just improved garbage that makes fun of you for actually buying the game. Honestly people, please, read the reviews, don't just look at the ratings.

Anyways, the game was quite the surprise actually. It was quite fun, especially considering the systems limitations. I always imagined that at the very least part of the many reasons that Castlevania Adventure was so unbelievably bad was because it might have been rushed out the door to get a holiday release. If that is what the actual reason is, then this is the result of not rushing something.

This game is just plain awesome. Let me start with the controls. Unlike Castlevania Adventure, the controls are more refined. You move about as fast as you do in the original NES Castlevania titles, and the jumping is about as good too. Yeah I know, that might not be saying much, but your movement speed was one of the things I despised about Castlevania Adventure.

Unfortunately, there aren't many actual weapon powerups in the game. Simply the throwing axe, and the holy water. Neither of them seemed all that useful for more than 1 boss, which was kind of a disappointment. In Castlevania 1 and 3, for me at least, the weapon powerups made a massive difference. For example, I loved how the time freeze powerup was actually useful for a good amount of the bosses. However, you do have a whip(It's even given a name that I can't remember.), which you of course get to upgrade. The final upgrade is awesome. It shoot out what I assume is a fireball, which ironically is weaker than the power of hitting something with the whip itself, similar to your Master Sword in Legend of Zelda: LTTP.

It's also like Mega Man, you get to select what order you want to go through for the first 4 levels, and there's 7 levels(the last being just a few screens with candles, and of course a battle with...well, what is supposed to be Dracula.) Basically. you go through 4 castles, collecting...some jewels I can't remember that look like pearls, which causes Castlevania itself to appear.

Dracula himself is kinda disappointing though. While he's quite challenging at first, there's only one form, and his ONE and ONLY attack...just doesn't feel like a Castlevania final battle. Thankfully, the ending is your standard short, yet satisfying ending.

Oh, and btw, the music is truly worthy of an NES era Castlevania game. There's not one midi that wasn't enjoyable, and I could be wrong, but they all seemed like they were original and unique to the game itself. This game honestly may have the best music ever put on a B&W game boy title.

Anyways, this went on for way longer than I have planned. My bottom line is this. Chances are that even if you're a castlevania fan like me, you still haven't played this title. Well trust me, this game is completely worth playing!

Superrpgman
8 years ago#4
Game: Joe and Mac

System: SNES

Time spent on the game(rounded up to the highest hour) 2 hours

Ah, a game I played from my childhood. An awesome one too.

Gonna make this super quick.

This game is just so much fun. I love the idea of being caveman running around in side scrolling stages fighting nerdy cavemen who have stolen the cave babes, and fighting a big dinosaur boss at the end of each levels. The final level however, so pleasantly and surprisingly different. It's also where the game gets a lot harder, so save some lives for him. Also, unlike Dracula in the Belmont's Revenge, he has a second, even harder form, with a ton of different attacks.

Oh yeah, and you also get to use an infinite amount of several different throwing weapons, all of which you can switch between at any time as long as you already possess it

Up next: Ice Climbers

Superrpgman
8 years ago#5
Game: Ice Climbers

System: NES

Time spent on the game: 4 hours

Like I said yesterday, this is a game that I've wanted to play through this game since I played it in my daily NES project. Well I finally decided to do so today, and honestly, I now have mixed feelings on the game.

Basically, let me say that this game has a lot to offer. You may not move that fast, and yet the game is very much so about timing and aiming your jumps perfectly, which sorta makes a real easy puzzle game. Plus, at the end of each level is a bonus stage, one which is basically just for fun, since completing them just gives you points, and points don't seem to give you extra lives or anything to that extent at all.

Here's its problem though. There are 32 levels, and yet by level 10 or so, you've pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. This is also the first game I've beaten on this project which doesn't even have an ending. It just starts the game over.

If I were to recommend this game, it would be to only play the first few levels, and see if you didn't get bored like I did.

Well, that's it for now. I planned to have 2 games for today, so tomorrow I'll try to complete 3 to make up for it if I have time

Up next: Another B&W GB title that I haven't decided on yet.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#6
Game: Double Dragon

System: B&W Game Boy

Time spent on the game: 1 hour

Sorry, this one's kinda long. I really felt like I had a lot to say, and didn't want to hold back.

First of all, let me say that this was meant to be the first game on this project that I planned to use codes for. I kinda felt that there couldn't be that high of a chance for me to be able to beat this game without spending hours on it if I wasn't invincible, and would become an extreme chore. The good news is that as you can tell by the time spent on this game section I listed, this game took me less than an hour, and I was able to beat the game. The bad news is, it felt like 5 hours.

The first 3 or so levels, I had a lot of fun with. I like how you start with all your moves, instead of earning the right to use them like the NES version, which I found annoying. I mean, I personally wanted to be able to have them available at the beginning of the game, and see what works best right away. What's more, enough points equals an extra life, which I don't remember that being there in the NES version(although I'll admit I could be wrong.)

Then the 4th level came along, and I realized this game's massive crutch. By the 4th level, you've literally seen EVERY single enemy in the game, and you will have to fight those enemies, including the exact same bosses, over and over and over. There are at least 2 or 3 levels where you fight a group of the second level boss 5 times! And every level after the third level, you fight the first boss, almost every bloody level, if not every bloody level. It get really repetitive. Yes, the first boss is quite menacing, but seriously, why every bloody level?!!

The last boss btw is at least different, but he's unbelievably cheap. I could be wrong about this, but it seems that every time he shoots you, you automatically die, making the the final boss more a matter of luck then skill, which I find to be atrocious the way it happens.

You know, Contra may have the problem where you die in one hit, but you know what? None of the bosses repeat, and every level doesn't even remotely feel repetitive, no matter how challenging it gets.

I guess this game has a lot in common with Ice Climbers. The first few levels are fun, but then the whole thing drags.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#7
Game: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Time spent on the game: 2 hours

I'm gonna make this quick, to kinda make up for the last rant.

I remember playing this as a child, and watching my brother beat it constantly with Game Genie codes. I remembered the game not actually being that hard, and I figured it would be yet another good idea for something short and simple. However, I wasn't aware about just how simple the game is.

Seriously, with the exception to the next to last level, this game is a joke. Nonetheless, it is what I'd call a fun joke. The first 2 levels if you know how to do this slide attack(just run and then duck), and can figure out how to jump over just about everyone you can't kill with the slide, you can go through the first 2 of 4 levels in about 20 or so minutes.

The third level, well, it's still pretty freaking easy. You just have to figure out how to solve these trap puzzles. Well actually, you also have to figure out just what you have to do, which is where the most of the time I was playing this went. Sure, the traps aren't that creative, but hey, beats the simple set trap and lure enemies into it that I would do with Neverwinter Nights. Ok, that's going a bit too far, but still!

However, what makes this game worth playing is to see the hilarious ending banter between the 2 bandits. It's dialogue that could very easily have been put into the movie.

I don't recommend rushing out to play this game. Heck, I've never looked into tracking down this game, ever. However, if you're bored, it might entertain you.

There's my thoughts on the so-so game. In about an hour, I'll post my thoughts on Popeye for the NES.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#8
Game: Popeye

System: NES

Time spent on the game: 6 minutes and 35 seconds(yes, I actually am giving the exact time for this one.)

This game is extremely short, and even more sweet than I remember.

I love the everliving daylights out of this game. Even for NES AI, Bluto is a total laughable pushover as you go around this level similar to the donkey kong games, collecting all the hearts, music notes, or letters to the word "help." If you're playing this for the first time, let me give you some basic advice that keeps me from never dying. Just keep on moving, and Bluto will never touch you. Oh, and unless you actually care about meaningless points, don't even waste your time with the spinach.

This game is possibly the funniest NES game in terms of just how easy it is to avoid whoever is trying to take you out. Trust me, you want to play it. It will make you laugh as well.

Oh yeah, and btw, I actually would recommend the arcade version of this game as well. It's just as easy, but has better graphics and sound effects, and has little bits happen in between the levels. Plus, I could be wrong, but I think there's an extra level in the arcade version as well.

Oh, and just one little thing I'd like to mention. In a lot of the cartoons of Popeye, I've noticed that Popeye is able to take out a lot of freakin mythical beasts without eating spinach first, and it's always only Bluto that he needs spinach for. Does that mean that Bluto is more powerful than anything from any other mythology, and the only thing more powerful than Bluto in the world is Popeye? Even then, he's only super powerful for less than 5 minutes.

Ok, I'm thinking way too much about something that's pure camp entertainment. I'm gonna shut up about Popeye now.

Tomorrow I play: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#9
Game: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan

System: B&W Game Boy

Time spent on the game: 1 hour

I'm writing this in haste, because I had a busy day with my family, and I want to make sure it's posted by 9 pm west coast time.

Anyways, simply put, this game is indeed easy like I remember, but that said, it's not as easy as I remember. I actually died twice because I was in such a rush to beat the game. That and I've been through this game several times, and I'm really sick of most of the game's music. Sure, the main Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme, which you get to hear in 2 of the games levels are enjoyable moments, but everything else, including the boss music gets really old, fast!

I liked playing this game because unlike Double Dragon, it didn't get repetitive. You only fight each boss once, and although the regular enemies are basically the same for the first 6 levels, the last 2 throw in some more, and the bosses have this interesting little feature. You take damage if you touch them, but when you hit them, they can't hurt you for about a second, so you can go charging in, back off, avoid whatever they'll attack you with, and repeat until they die after 5-10 times.

Simple, short, and while I can definitely say that the NES games are incredibly superior, like Home Alone 2 on the SNES, it's not something I would recommend, but if you're bored and want to beat an easy game in about a half an hour, you might enjoy it.

Wow! I finished this with some serious time to spare. Let me say this as well:

Is it just me, or does every weapon have nearly, if not completely the exact same speed in the game? I saw no reason NOT to use Donatello in every level.

Up tomorrow: A SNES beat em up title which I am the only person I know of who enjoys it, known as Rival Turf

Till then.

Superrpgman
8 years ago#10
Game: Rival Turf

Time spent on the game: 2 hours

Cheats used: Invincibility up to the final boss.

Once again, I have a lot to say about this as well. I REALLY love this game, and want others to actually check it out.

Like I said yesterday, god isit fun! However it's also REALLY hard at the same time. I knew this going in, and well, I also knew what I'd have to do unless I wanted to save state in a way that would add way too much time.

It starts off easy, but then the third boss shows up, and...well, I played this game back when it came out with my at the time best friend, and it took us forever to beat the third boss. Even then, we never got to the 5th boss.

Then it gets somewhat hard for level 4 and and 5, but it's fine for the most part. Then the 5th boss shows up, and...damn is he cheap! Good luck attacking him without your jump kick, and even then, it'll take you at least 10 minutes to kill him.

The 6th and final level, you're fighting a lot of the non boss enemies you've fought before in the game, and I tell you, it's like they realize that this is the final level, and they pull off the same moves they've always had, only they use their special attacks like crazy! And yeah, enemies in this game are quite cool with a lot of moves they have, from the somewhat long kick attack and and piledrivers, to the awesome mid air long distance spin attack, and even constant throwing of dynamite.

You also end up fighting the 1st, 3rd, and 5th boss again, but they're changed a bit from before, so it doesn't feel like the Double Dragon curse at all.

Then the final boss. He may look like a beefed up, gimped karate champ wanna bee, but he fights like a real pro.

I turn off the invincibility code, and well...

The game gives you 5 lives, and 5 continues, and unlike any other 2 player 8 or 16 bit beat em up I've EVER played, EVER, when you play this with just one player, when lose all your lives, and then use a continue, you literally stay exactly where you are. That's right, no starting the level over for you. You die, and you get to continue that boss battle just the way you left it. Good thing too, because this boss is REALLY hard. He constantly does a diagonal jump attack, fires 2 types of hadukens, and will often grab you and beat you silly! All of his moves kill you within 2-3 hits. Without save states, he plowed through 3 of my continues before going down.

Also, for those of you that read the review on this site that gives away the ending and feel that it was a cop out. I've got some good news. That's not actually the ending to the game. I'll post the real ending sometime tomorrow. With a spoiler warning of course.

Let me end this by saying that with the possible exception to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV, this game is easily one of the best beat em ups on the SNES. There's not one level that feels repetitive, even with the repeating bosses at the final level. This is one of the most underrated beat em ups of all time in my opinion. Please, don't listen to the reviews for this game on this site that complain that the whole game is nothing but Final Fight Clone. Final Fight wishes that it had this many variations of enemy attacks. Plus that it wasn't a bad, slow, rushed port with single player only. Oh, and by the way, you can be the same person in 2 player mode, which was just plain unheard of in the 8-bit and 16 bit. Is that in Streets of Rage? I didn't think so.

Oh, and btw, the music in this game pure amazing SNES action game music!

Anyways, I'll shut up about the game for now.

And the archive for Beat a Game a Day is completely up to date. I'm off to beat 2 more games now. I'll be commenting on them later today.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Beating a Game a Day Archive
  • Topic Archived