• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Daily NES 7: 1985

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
9 years ago#11

I figured what the the heck, and why not post the next review.

Well, that, and most likely I'm going to have to go soon, and will not be able to post the final review until tomorrow.

Ice Climber 1985 Nintendo [314]

Review

Ok, so it starts off with the title screen, and some mildly annoying music, then after about 15 seconds a demo starts, with some pterodactyl which has stolen some sort of eggplant. then you, the ice climber shows up, and well...basically shows you not to jump on enemies, or you'll die. Aren't we off to a good start already? Thankfully, it pretty much went nowhere but uphill from her, and I don't just mean with the whole mountain climbing in the game.

I've seen this game before 15 clip type reviews, but I actually was playing it now, and holy cow was this game ahead of its time! You can go to any level at any time from the start screen, which to me is like infinite continues and a password system that doesn't actually require you enter the passwords. Also, the gameplay is simple, yet fun, You jump up and clip away with these really small ice cubes or whatever to reach higher parts of each level, and you hit enemies with your hammer. The animation for these fuzzy white monsters is also worth seeing. And at the end of each level, you get to play around with this bonus stage, where you collect vegetables, and try to get to the top of the stage in 40 seconds You have no idea how much it took out of me to stop playing once the 20 minute mark went off. I'm definitely gonna be playing more of this in the future, that's for sure!

Bottom Line: Play

Video Links:

1. Me and PattheNESPunk seem to sorta agree on this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWMTqoyUZE&feature=channel_page

Added Note:

2.This is another game that just caught me off guard. While not just plain phenomenal, it's still surprisingly a lot of fun, and if I do some second impressions, it'll be me playing more of this game, and maybe Mach Rider..

Superrpgman
9 years ago#12

Ok, I got some bad news, and some worse news.

The bad news is well, quite obvious. I'm finally posting the first review right now.

The worse news is, I've only got 4 reviews for you today, it's the end of 1985, and well, I made a few mistakes.

I do however have some decent news:

The decent news is that I will be trying to make up for not having 7 titles over the next few days, plus I will be putting in some import and "modded" games in as well soon.

Ok, now for the first game for today. More bad news: It's a sports game. Good news: It's the best sports title I've played so far.

Tennis 1985 Nintendo [686]

Before I start, let me remind everyone that I know very little about any sport really, so as always, keep that in mind.

Review:

Here's another title I pretty much knew nothing about other than assumptions based off of the title. My main assumption? That this will be as entertaining as Golf!The game turns on with some not annoying, yet nothing special jingle at the title screen, then goes to a demo of the game, showing that this game is two on two, and seems like basic, bland tennis.

I chose single match, assuming it was single players mode, and found out that single match is not only single player, it's one on one! I started the game, all ready to end this in the required minimum of 10 minutes. I chose the easiest difficulty, and served. Then after a few minutes, I realized something. This game isn't spectacular, and like I said, I really don't know much about sports, but this game seems to actually work!

I'd actually say that this is the best NES sports title I've played so far on this project. Simple, yet fun. The only gripe I have is that the matches seem to go on for too long. Isn't Football supposed to last longer than a tennis game? I went through all of 10-Yard Fight in 20 minutes, yet after 20 minutes the first round or whatever still hadn't ended.

Side Notes:

Video Links:

1. What do you know? PatTheNESPunk doesn't like the game. Well, he does have some valid complaints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxeLTcXvLE&feature=channel_page

Added Notes:

2. I didn't notice that Mario was the judge. Yeah, Mario is in a ton of games that has nothing to do with him. He seemed to make up by it by having Mario Golf and Mario Tennis on the N64. The quality of

the games are questionable, (Mainly because I have no idea. I have no desire to give them a shot.) but at the same time, at least he belongs in them.

3. I also didn't notice that all these sports games have the same opening theme. Well, in my defense, the little jingle is VERY forgettable.

Superrpgman
9 years ago#13

Alright, now for another Light Gun title.

Reach for the sky in...

Wild Gunman 1985 Nintendo [762]

Review:

Once again, the game starts with the title screen, and some very forgettable music once again. This game is sort of a really old arcade wild west light gun shooter. You have the options to deal with 1 or 2 outlaws at a time, or fight an entire gang at once.

I decided to start with 1 outlaw. Pulling out my "gun" I prepared myself, as an outlaw walks sideways towards me, while at the top of the screen is a timer, showing me that I better have good reflexes, because I have 1.70 seconds. I shoot him, and the outlaw says "foul," which kinda confuses me. This time I wait a few seconds for the next outlaw, and he shouts with voice acting with with a speech bubble to "fire!" and I did so, realizing that I can't actually shoot until the outlaw shouts "fire!" From here, I went through 10 rounds, not having much of a problem, but then things got a little harder, and required faster reflexes, with the game sometimes giving me .40 seconds to shoot. I lasted quite a while here, getting to the 47th round before accidentally getting a foul. I'd say that from what I played, this game fun for a short while, but you're likely to get killed due to being distracted by how repetitive the game is. Then again, I only played the first mode, having less and less

time, so I decided to end things after 11 or so minutes.

1. Apparently the other modes aren't as repetitive, and are actually quite challenging. Go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IQfJieH3vA&feature=channel_page

Up next:

The final game of the year that I didn't really understand.(But not the last game of the year on this project.)

And at around 10 pm west coast time: The best game of 1985!

Superrpgman
9 years ago#14

We're almost there! The final game before the best game of 1985! Can you guess what it is?

Wrecking Crew 1985 Nintendo [776]

My friends "version" didn't really work on his "system," so we had to try several different ones. We eventually found one where things didn't seem to mess up like like crazy as soon at the game started, but quite frankly, I had no idea what to do with it.

You're Mario, and you have around 8 or so lives, and well, both the buttom attack upwards, destroying a bunch of different walls, but after you break them all, absolutely nothing happens. There's a door, but I can't figure out how to open it. Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Bottom Line: N/A

1. So this game is actually beatable? Ok, I wonder if my one "copy" is glitched because I hit around everywhere. Oh well, maybe I'll give this game a second impression if I can find a version that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEm0ZQZljI&feature=channel_page

Up next: The best game of 1985! Can you guess what it is?

Superrpgman
9 years ago#15

Wow! almost 10:30, and I still haven't posted the best game of 1985.

Ok, here's the deal. I thought it would be entertaining to let people guess what the number one game of 1985.

I'll post the link for the review on another board, and I'll post the review here as well around noon tomorrow. Who knows, it could be fun seeing what people try to guess.

Ok, I'll send the link in a second.

Superrpgman
9 years ago#16

Here you go, the answer you all obviously know.

The game is...

Drumroll please....

Super

Mario

Bros.

I'm gonna just get straight to the review.

Super Mario Bros. 1985 Nintendo [653]

This game truly deserves all the credit it deserves. They say that this game single handedly saved the video game industry, and not by being gimmicky (Wii Sports) or being beyond incredibly overexposed, and tricking people into thinking that it's even remotely original or truly innovative (Halo).

Once again, sorry that this review is so big, but it's worthy of a bigger amount of words than other games. After all, it's freakin Super Mario Bros!

Review:

Anyways, the game demo is simple. Going through a a little bit of the beginning of this side-scrolling platformer, getting a mushroom and growing bigger, and and jumping over some green pipes, before getting killed, kinda showing off what will most likely be the first 15 seconds of your first time through the game.

Anyways, I started the game, and got the mushroom like in the beginning. I remembered where the 1 up mushroom was, and went on, trying to beat the rest of the level without getting hit, but I was so nervous that I almost died near the end of the level. I guess I'm a little out of practice, and didn't remember where all the enemy placements were. At the second level,(1-2) I got a mushroom again, but lost it in the little spot with this 8 coin block and goomba sorta guarding it, then got killed by a koopa a few seconds later.

I made it through 1-2 without dying again, then lost a life in level 1-3, where things really started to get challenging due to it being a level really big on platforming elements. I was able to make it to the castle, and somehow survived the first bowser battle in the game via destroying the drawbridge, and taking a hit. I didn't remember the first castle being so easy.

Finally, after that, I found one of those toads, who thanked me, but told me that the princess is in another castle, aka one of many things that make this game a true ****c. Almost immediately in 2-1, I lost my final life, and got a game over.

I had about 8 minutes left on my timer, but I was behind schedule, and wanted to have the remaining titles from this years finished. So I stopped playing, and wrote all of this down.

Bottom Line: Play now! Seriously, if you're one of maybe 5 extremely old school gamers in the world who hasn't played this, get ahold of this game, and I MEAN NOW! This was not only the best game of its year, but one of the best NES games ever made! This game truly was very innovative, and I recommend...no demand that anyone who claims to love the NES like crazy play this game once or twice a year!

Side Notes:

Video Links:

1. PatTheNESpunk pointed out something important that I forgot to. This game, especially for its time has a really awesome soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGSX6jfZjso&feature=channel_page

2. Here's an awesome little tool assisted video showing off how to beat a really awesome SMB hack called Air. The game is so awesome that I'm considering writing my first impressions on it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDSIuAg8F_U

Side Notes:

3. Is it just me, or is a certain girl in the game REALLY ugly ?

User Info: Oldmang

Oldmang
9 years ago#17
I don't really have much to add, just that I think what you're doing is really cool. I should get into the NES' library sometime, I haven't played all that much NES since I was a little kid, except to beat some of the most notable games of it's library.
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=popo My game collection
http://www.twi-brigade.com/

Superrpgman
9 years ago#18
First of all, thanks for the support. Always nice to have more fans.

And yeah, the whole purpose behind this project is to because I enjoy finding diamonds in the rough, and want to share what I find.
Arcade Generations:http://z13.invisionfree.com/Arcade_Generations/index.php?
So the arcade classics of every generation are not forgotten

Superrpgman
9 years ago#19
bump

Superrpgman
9 years ago#20
Bumping this before I forget and it's too late to do so.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Daily NES 7: 1985
  • Topic Archived