• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Daily NES 7: 1985

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
9 years ago#1

Here's where the project started. Back when it was 7 days a game. For 1985, there were enough games to be listed in a week.

Ok, let's get started.

Welcome everyone to the Daily 7 NES Game Previews. It took a lot of planning and discussions with several friends to get this together, but I think I've finally got this down.

I'm still gonna be playing 10-20 minutes of 7 nes titles a day, and giving my thoughts on the games in the form of simple 1-3 paragraphs, while usu lly posting video links and adding little side comments at the end of each review, but at the same time, I'm gonna try not to be as wordy in the side notes section, and get straight to the point.

I think this will be a lot of fun, and it will be a lot more easier to read through, and I hope you all find this to be just as fun, and a lot easier to read than before.

Anyways, let's get started. First up, we have...Duck Hunt

Duck Hunt 1985 Nintendo [218]

Ah, the game of the hour. And I don't just mean that because it's the preview I'm showing first. This game is awesome!

Review:

I started the game up greeted bye a really sweet little 5 second music clip at the title screen, of really great quality considering this is 1985! Simple yet effective, letting you know that you're about to have a lot of light hearted, mindless fun.

You have the choices of 1 duck, or 2 ducks. Basically, normal and hard mode, and also clay shooting, which I assume is something really hard.

I started Duck Hunt on one duck mode. What followed was really eay, yet fun game of a doing going into some thick grass, scaring ducks out of it, and to fly about like crazy. Then round 8 happened, where I realized that not only does the game get a lot harder really fast, but you also have to shoot a certain amount of ducks before they fly away, or you lost. I also really like that even if you've missed too many ducks already, you can still get the remaining, even though you're skrewed. It reminded me of Left 4 Dead, where even if you're pinned down to the ground with the infected all over you, and your teammates already dead, at least you can enjoy a good 15 more seconds of shooting before you get a game over. This game was the best game I played out of the 7 today, and that's why I chose it as my first review.

Oh, and one more thing: Yes, I wanna freakin shoot that annoying dog every time he comes out laughing! Who doesn't?

Judgement: Play now! Play tomorrow! Play forever, this game is quite timeless!

Side notes:

Video Links:

1. PatTheNESpunk has some really good reviews for every NES title release in 1985, and well, they're all worth checking out. Here's the Duck Hunt review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNh0enjR2-0&feature=channel_page

2. Theres' this awesome little 1 minute and 30 second clip of Peter Griffin "playing" Duck Hunt around on youtube. Like with the Battletoads review, I'm not gonna give the link, as it may be against the TOS, but it's worth looking around for.

Side Notes:

3. I seriously have never been able to hit anything on the clay shooting mode since I was very young.

4. If you want the game to be really easy, play it on a small "tv screen."

Superrpgman
9 years ago#2

Now for the second review of the day:

Excitebike 1985 Nintendo [231]

Review:

The game starts off with some ****c 5 second 80's tune at the title screen, with the option for selection a(time trial) b(Competitive racing. You against 3 computer racers then shows...not really much of a demo, and it in itself is only like 19 or so seconds, and it's the same one over and over. However, I didn't let the demo fool me, and went on and selected A mode, and man was it fun.

The game is basically an 80's arcade ****side scrolling dirt motorcycle racer, sorta similar to Super Hang-On, only well...a side scroller,a nd there's obstacles all over the place. You go around a dirt track, doing two laps, the timer on the left telling you that to qualify for the next race, you'll have to beat it in that amount of time. Your current time being on the right. It seemed pretty simple, yet a lot of fun. Not as timeless as Duck Hunt, but it's close, and it's definately worth checking out.

Bottom Line: Play now!

Side Notes:

Video Links:

1. Good ol PattheNESPunk and his reviews of all of the NES games from 1985!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YV7ChjT-kQ&feature=channel_page

2. If you're a fan of Tool-Assisted Speed Runs, then check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMHWPeWeap4

Added Notes:

3. There's this little "mod" someone made for this game called Marathon, where you're running instead of riding a bike right.

4. You can actually design levels in this game. Too bad they're deleted after you turn the game off. Shame really.

Up next: Clu Clu Land

Superrpgman
9 years ago#3

Clu Clu Land 1985 Nintendo [151]

Review:

I don't even know how to explain what I experienced here, so here goes nothing.

Basically, from what I've seen in this game, it's a really really really wierd Pac-Man type clone, where you're some wierd red...fish in a black pond maybe? Anyways, I'm not entirely sure what you're actually supposed to really be doing in this game as I can't beat a level due to really annoying controls, and even more annoying music.(Don't get me wrong, it's not really headache inducing like the NES Maniac Mansion, but it's still aggravating.).

However, I assume that you need to go all over the room you're in, and find where all these hiddencoins are, which you have to do so via going to whereever they are hidden. You do that, and you progress to the next stage. Judging from the demo of the game, the game is two players, and you play simotaneously too! Great for when you both want to listen to really bad music and experience really bad controls.

Bottom Line: Avoid like the plague!

Side Notes:

1. Again, another review by the same guy. He claims it's hit of miss. I say huge miss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXLmJUKJ4ps&feature=channel_page

Added Notes:

2. Looking back, I'd say that if you don't mind playing this game with no sound, it would probably be a little more tolerable. I'd just put it on avoid.

3. I know this site gives this game a decent score, but taking a quick glance at the scores, I'd say most seem to like it the way junkies like crack.

Up next: Golf

Superrpgman
9 years ago#4

Now for a review of the most most boring NES game I've played in a while:

Golf 1985 Nintendo [282]

Review:

Ok...this is possibly the most bland sports title I've ever played, even for a golf game it seems like they put no effort into this game. You turn the game on, and you see the game, with some mario looking guy just standing there with his golf club, aimed, but doing jack squat.

Anyways, I start up the single player mode, and I notice something missing from the game. Sound! Yeah, that's right, this game is pretty much put on mute. As far as the gameplay goes, when you want to get the ball to hit very wide, you have to hit it perfectly down to the freakin milisecond. Sound fun, because this makes me long for Clu Clu Land again myself.

Bottom Line: Avoid like the plague!

Side Notes:

Added Notes::

1. I'd like to show you an interesting review for the game, but I can't find one. PattheNESPunk has a review, but it's kinda annoying in terms of its blandness as the game itself.

Stay tuned for a slightly less boring title, known simply as Baseball!

Superrpgman
9 years ago#5

The last game was about America's favorite blandtime, but now for a game that is all about America's favorite pasttime! Unfortunately, this game is pretty bland too!

Baseball 1985 Nintendo [66]

OK, so I turn the game on, and it starts automatically at the title screen like in 10-Yard Fight, and while the game still goes to the demo after like 5 seconds, there's some music being played. Nothing special about the music, but it's there.

Anyways, I choose 1 player, and right away find out that the names of the teams are just letters. Even for an NES title, this is pretty bad, but for me, it's not a big deal. What is a big deal however is the game itself!

I only spent about 15 minutes with this game, and I gotta say, I'm very dissapointed with it. Even for a 8-bit sports game, this is a little bit on the unfair side. Your opponents move a little faster, and seem to be exceptional at pull off home runs, and seem to never strike out either. Sound like fun? I didn't think so?

Bottom Line: Avoid

Side Notes:

Video Links:

1. Once again, here's a good review. Same person too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7cpX9p5ok&feature=channel_page

Added notes:

2. Couldn't find a playthrough for this game, sorry.

3. According to the video review, everyone moves exactly the same no matter what. Wonder what I did wrong. Oh well, it felt otherwise to me!

---

The last two games may have sucked eggs, but It's no reason to assume that all sports games suck Up next, we have what I consider to be te best NES sports game of 1985!

Get ready for 10-Yard Fight!

Superrpgman
9 years ago#6

Now for the final two games of the night. I'm not usually going to post two reviews at the same time, but the last review is wel...you'll see.

10-Yard Fight 1985 Nintendo [1]

Ok, so I turn on the game, and apparantly it's a football game. Considering that it's from 1985, I assume that it's the first NES football game for the system. Although honestly, at least at the time that I'm writing this review, for all I know, it's the only NES Football Game. The first thing that popped up in my mind when I started the game up was that it goes from the title screen, to the game demo in like 5 seconds! I started the game, and it lets me choose the opponents skill level, and I can choose from High School to Super Bowl level. I of course choose High School, sucking at all sports, and know very little about them. Keeping all of this in mind, here's what happened in the 20 minutes that I played.

Whenever it was my turn to head to the uppermost side of the screen, I found that you move faster when you move diagonally, keeping me from being stopped for longer. I couldn't figure out how to pass the football, so I decided to instead just keep moving towards the top of screen for as long as I could before being stopped.

I'm not much of a sports fan, but if you are, you'll probably enjoy this game, especially if you know what the heck you're doing.

Bottom Line: Play (If you're into sports.)

Side Notes:

Video Links:

1. Here's a quality review for the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywnp4N1SslU

2. Here's a full playthrough of the game. WARNING! May not be actually be complete! I think it is, but I'm not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CD4C979FC44E7D15

And finally, last, and probably least for many people. The very first donkey kong title released in the us!

Donkey Kong Jr. Math 1985 Nintendo [199]

Review:

Look, I didn't think this would come, so I didn't think of an issue, but now I realize that this is an issue, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

I don't have a second controller, and to play this game even remotely properly, you need one, since the idea is to beat your oppenent, so....I can really give my opinion on this game. I hear it's one of the worst games for the system, but I can't play this properly to find out for myself. That's just the way things go, sorry.

Bottom Line: N/A

Side Notes:

Video Links:

1. Yep, you guessed it. Once again, here's a good review of the game, by the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXspbr-38zA&feature=channel_page

Added Note:

2. Anyone think it's odd that the first Donkey Kong game released in the US on the NES was what's considered to be the worst in the series? What's more, it's a bloody side-story sequel!

There you go everyone. My daily 7 NES First Impressions. Hope you enjoyed them.

Superrpgman
9 years ago#7

I know I'm starting a little late today, and I apologize. Been busy.

Anyways, I'd like to start out Day 2 with a challenging game that I've never even heard of until a few weeks ago. A game that back then was no big deal of a game for its time, but now since its kind is dying due to arcades being on their last legs, I think it deserves its spot as the first of the first impressions today.

I bring you...

Pinball 1985 Nintendo [506]

Review:

It starts off with this really cheery, friendly music in the beginning, with the text on the title screen kinda looking like bubble gum. Then the game demo started, and I realized just how overly generic this pinball game was going to be. I wasn't expecting something different, like the Pokemon Pinball games, but this just seemed like it would get old real fast. Still, like all these games, they deserve a fair 10-20 minute shot.

I start the game, and within 2 minutes, I'm glued to the game. For a generic pinball video game, this is a lot of fun. Sure, I died almost every 2-3 minutes because of the weird controls where the d pad is what controls the left flipper, but those 10 games were still a lot of fun. I especially like the whole Mario saving Pauline minigame, which seems kind of a tribute to both Donkey Kong, and Break Attack in a way. If you're into pinball, and want a simple game done at least mostly right, I totally recommend this game.

Bottom Line: Play

Side note:

1. Seems like me and PattheNESPunk disagree here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSCEDqqh0w&feature=channel_page

I know, this game is probably more hit or miss in hindsight, but what can I say? The fact that it's a pinball game scores huge points in my book.

Up next: The cheesiest title I've previewed yet! Can you guess what it is?

Here's a hint. Cardboard cut outs!

Superrpgman
9 years ago#8

Warning: I wasn't kidding when I said that this is the cheesiest game I've played so far in this project.

Hogan's Alley 1985 Nintendo [304]

Review:

Another Light Gun game, just like Duck Hunt. It starts off witha little 5 second music clip in the beginning. Nothing special, but it's not annoying. After that, the screen shifts, making you think it's about to show a demo. However, the game shows something unexpected. It instead shows you that there are 6 types of people in the game. Half are gang members, who you always want to shoot, and the 3 others you don't want to shoot.

I started my game on game mode a, and then began to realize this games true cheesiness. This game reminds me of those stupid Police Training arcade games that were around a few years ago(and might still be around, unfortunately.) All you do is shoot a bunch of really crappy looking card board boxes with people colored on them.. It's like they started this game, gave up halfway through, and released it anyways. I'd say that I would have found this game to be dull and repetitive then, and I could barely stay awake for the 11 minutes that I played of it for it today!

Bottom Line: Avoid.

Side Notes:

1. It seems that PattheNESPunk disagrees with me. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdEkSrc2s8&feature=channel_page

Added Note:

2. I've actually been wanting to check this game out for a while now really. Too bad it's such a let down.

3. I admit, a huge part of why I really don't like this game is that the whole cardboard cutout thing reminds me of some old Sesame Street Blocks, and for that, it pushes itself into the far too cheesy to enjoy category.

---

Well, that was a bad experience alright, and here's hoping that I won't be so cheesed out by another game for the rest of this years group of games.

Up next: A game which might make you think of Speed Racer!

Superrpgman
9 years ago#9

Turns out if I accidentally left out something very important. I'm going semi chronologically. Everything is being reviewed in the order of the year when the game came out. I was almost going to do things completely alphabetically too, but I decided to jumble that up and change it a little bit too.

My apologies for not including this very important part. Here I thought I had things all set up right in a non confusing way. Guess I was wrong.

I bet I'm confusing a lot of people, and it's probably why I'm not getting that many replies.

I got the idea from the NES board(Yes, this board, the one that has probably given me the most ideas here.), the idea to take my journey chronologically, kinda experience the games as they happened. I'd say that doing so makes me appreciate these games a little better, and I thank you guys for it..

Superrpgman
9 years ago#10

You know how Speed Racers SNES game makes you say "Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, and take your damn game with you." (OK, I've never played it, but I've heard that it's basically bad anime video game drivel, so I guess you can't quote me on that.) Well I felt that way about this game. It really annoyed me.

Mach Rider 1985 Nintendo [410]

Review: Wow! The Opening Music in the title screen is freaking awesome! Makes me wonder if this was based off some anime or something. I honestly have no idea really, but since you get a message " the end" when you die, I can see that that could be a reference.

So I start the game, choosing fighting course, and well, the music that's playing when I started is awesome. I like the whole futuristic biker with a gun thing going on. But there was one big problemW

ell, more than one thing actually. Everything else however in the game is horrid. This game for some stupid reason decided to let random vehicles ram through you if you're not moving fast enough. This kinda crap should not accepted inany vehicle based action game where there's no way to see behind you, and completely ruined the game for me.

Bottom Line: Avoid!

Side notes:

Video Links:

1. Here's another PatTheNESPunk review for the game. Turns out I was wrong about a couple things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-RwCKd9KuY&feature=channel_page

Added Note:

2. So it turns out there is a read view mirror, and it's actually a big part of the screen. I wonder how I missed it. Oh well, I'll probably give this game another chance later.

Up NOW: Something I should have posted right away due to circumstances, and well, I'm going to waste no more time, and post it now:

Two of the games I planned to post today well...the way both of them are, they're like Donkey Kong Jr. Math, in the sense that I couldn't give an actual review for it, thanks to the resources not being available. The two games are Gyromite and Stack-Up, which ironically have pretty good review ratings on the site.

If you really want to read the reviews, go here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=587060&topic=51479799

Up next: The game that was so beloved as an underrated gem that the two people in the game became playable characters in 2 Super Smash Bros Titles!

1. Boards
  2. A View to a Kill
  3. Daily NES 7: 1985
  • Topic Archived