• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Does Chrono Trigger have the best difficulty curve in RPG's? (Spoilers)

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
2 months ago#21
Well, you really should play the game. The sphere grid itself is awesome, like I said, it’s only when you want to max out your characters and end up spending hours in the menu, in between hours of grinding. But that’s never an issue if you’re just playing through the game normally.

Basically it’s designed to be the function of literally all stat gain and all ability learning. It’s one huge...grid, but each of the playable characters has what is basically their own “section.” Later in the game you can find keys to open up the paths that connect to other character sections. So you can basically travel across the whole thing learning other character specialties and picking up all of their stat gains.

The system itself is a great way to replace standard leveling, where you just gain stats and abilities based on leveling up. The way it’s set up it’s almost like you can level from 1 to 1000 in terms of progress.

You still get what’s essentially EXP from defeating enemies, but these go towards increasing your movement level. Then you go to the sphere grid and spend movement levels to move around and unlock things as you go, stat gains and abilities.

User Info: danzibr

danzibr
2 months ago#22
RebelofDaNew posted...
Is it the same for X-2? Which I heard has better gameplay in general.
Grinding-wise, X-2 has a *lot* of junk you can skip. My first playthrough I did, and went to the boss woefully underleveled.

Gameplay-wise, both X and X-2 have their merits. I prefer X's turn-based combat system, but X-2's job progression system.

GoukiAkujiki
2 months ago#23
X-2 is one of the only games I’ve stopped playing and never finished. Couldn’t stand it.

User Info: RebelofDaNew

RebelofDaNew
2 months ago#24
GoukiAkujiki posted...
X-2 is one of the only games I’ve stopped playing and never finished. Couldn’t stand it.
I feel like that's probably because of the themes? I always wanted to play X but don't currently have a system on which I can. Waiting for PC's to get a little bit more modest before I drop something on one. You make the grid sound like an interesting take on leveling, besides the combat itself. Though I'm also seeing how you can get lost in it, i sounds like you're referring to overleveling.

danzibr posted...
Grinding-wise, X-2 has a *lot* of junk you can skip. My first playthrough I did, and went to the boss woefully underleveled.

Gameplay-wise, both X and X-2 have their merits. I prefer X's turn-based combat system, but X-2's job progression system.
Isn't the fact that you can beat the game underleveled a good thing? Or do you mean junk encounters?
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5

GoukiAkujiki
2 months ago#25
X-2, yes it was mostly the themes. The game made me sick because it was so stupid. Every character was horrible.

I also didn’t like the gameplay though. It just felt like a bunch of side quests when I was playing it. I tend to prefer more linear games, and typically the more open ended the game is the less I can focus on it. I didn’t even like the battle system, which is what a lot of people praise it for.

Maybe it would’ve gotten better if I had played it more but I saw more than I needed to. It’s not like I gave up on it right away either, I probably put at least 20 hours into it, if not closer to 30.

RebelofDaNew
1 month ago#26
GoukiAkujiki posted...
X-2, yes it was mostly the themes. The game made me sick because it was so stupid. Every character was horrible.

I also didn’t like the gameplay though. It just felt like a bunch of side quests when I was playing it. I tend to prefer more linear games, and typically the more open ended the game is the less I can focus on it. I didn’t even like the battle system, which is what a lot of people praise it for.

Maybe it would’ve gotten better if I had played it more but I saw more than I needed to. It’s not like I gave up on it right away either, I probably put at least 20 hours into it, if not closer to 30.
That openness is more Western style, which tells me you're more for classical JRPG's than WRPG's. I think there's a time and place for both...mainly by shoving the side stuff aside till the end (WoR) or keeping it down low compared to the main story, so you aren't overloaded.

User Info: MarshawnLynch

MarshawnLynch
1 month ago#27
Idk about difficulty curve, but IMO Chrono Trigger is the best game ever when it comes to not having to grind as a virtually mandatory necessity to proceed with the game.
The architects of international Zionism will stop at nothing to prevent Frog's truth from being heard. - CW_McGraw

User Info: dragonquester

dragonquester
4 weeks ago#28
shadestreet posted...
Probably Final Fantasy V for Square games
I agree. Final Fantasy V is way better than Chrono Trigger in that respect. So is Dragon Quest VI.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 weeks ago#29
dragonquester posted...
I agree. Final Fantasy V is way better than Chrono Trigger in that respect. So is Dragon Quest VI.
Eh FFV had that one cannon boss near the middle that had me pulling my hair out. And the kicker was Internet searches just pointed me to guides and wikis that just said it was too easy to bother writing out a strategy for.

It would put you into some invisible status where you would continually lose stats--IIRC HP and strength--until you were just straight screwed.
53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53

RebelofDaNew
4 weeks ago#30
MarshawnLynch posted...
Idk about difficulty curve, but IMO Chrono Trigger is the best game ever when it comes to not having to grind as a virtually mandatory necessity to proceed with the game.
There's only a couple of boss fights where I could even foresee that as a possibility, and even then it's usually more about the equipment.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Does Chrono Trigger have the best difficulty curve in RPG's? (Spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A