• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. No cooking playthrough

User Info: Ariax

Ariax
1 month ago#1
I am currently on a run through the game, but instead of the cooking carpenter, I'm using the treehouse carpenter. Yes, i am well aware of the power of cooking in this game (I can break the game wide open before Simafort if I wanted to...), but I wanted to explore other possibilities as well as a bit more of a challenge.

Have any of you attempted such a run? If so, how did you handle the money situation? (No cook = No GoldBars).

User Info: Strontium

Strontium
1 month ago#2
I'd like to think that most everybody who played the game blind, especially back in the day, didn't exploit cooking the most overpowered items. I just fought random encounters for ages and loved it. I didn't even know about the giant monster isle as the ideal place to grind.

Though this does remind me that I did do a playthrough with the Othello board because the self-imposed challenge was not using any armories, only equipment from chests and enemy drops. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/563530-breath-of-fire-ii/69854575
Tea is very frustrating. All the exotic flavors smell so good. Then you drink them and it's like, "THIS IS STILL JUST BAD HOT WATER!"

User Info: Crimsonchalice

Crimsonchalice
1 month ago#3
I actually never use cooking anymore. I still go with the cooking carpenter because I like the looks and the overlay of the town you get.
I just get the money I need from my usual grinding spots ( Mt Maori, Monster Island, Thieves Tomb e t c) and use the stuff I get from chests/drops. Also, in regards to body armors, you can actually save up some money, since many of them ( MagmaAR, GoldAR, SilverAR, BlndedAR, LifeAR, and likely many more...) won't be very good when you can no longer feed your characters Dinkers to compensate vigor loss. This is especially true when it comes to Ryu, the earlier he gets to act the smoother the battle tends to be.

You can actually go pretty far on the assortment of armor you can buy in Tunlan. If you have the need ( and the funds ) you can buy additional items from memory town ( WhiteSH tends to be the cost-effecient choice for shields up until HolySH are available ), Skytwr and Maniro.

As always Monster Island tends to solve any monetary problems once the player is strong enough to not be held back by the Gonghead, so one can always turn to this place in endgame where prices starts to ramp up ( I know you're veteran player Ariax, so this is obviously not news to you, just mentioning it in case newer players might take interest in this topic ). Money is mostly an issue in early/mid game, rarely in late game.
"C.Chalice - Dream or deceit ? Who will ever know ?"

Ariax
1 month ago#4
I use hunting and fishing in the early game for money. After that, Mt. Maori seems like a good bet. Monster Island can be a good place, except for the possibility of encountering Gongheads (which are immune to most immobilizing and instant death abilities, except for Bow's shot) and the rare but extremely dangerous K. Sludges, I recall Thvstomb being excellent for money, except that it's not really accessible until later in the game.

Monster Island is a good source of Van.Exts, which can be a decent substitute for Biscuits. Stat boosting items are much harder to come by. Fortunately, stat-maxing isn't on my list of priorities. One unfortunate thing about going this route is that it is also much harder to come by WiseBLs. Memory Tower would be good source, if it weren't for the fact that it's a one-and-done dungeon. Barring that, the best hope for getting them is to get lucky in SimaFort's basement (which is a great place to farm for Gold (the bait, not money), BTW).
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Crimsonchalice

Crimsonchalice
1 month ago#5
And that's really a beauty in it's own right. A WiseBL is really more precious by comparison than a Megalixir in any FF game. It should be hard to get one, it enables an unblockable, high-damage attack in a game with modest enemy HP numbers. Mass producing WiseBL is really a way to make the game completely trivial ( more so then stat boosting, at least in the latter case you have to provide a certain effort ).

I usually use mine against Barubary. Possibly against Evan if I have any left to spare......
"C.Chalice - Dream or deceit ? Who will ever know ?"
(edited 1 month ago)

Ariax
1 month ago#6
I plan to save them all for a solo bout against Barubary. Van,Exts are for Evan. I tend not to rely too much on magic there because of his nasty habit of draining AP.

User Info: blaisem

blaisem
1 month ago#7
Fishing. But if you spend wisely you don't need to do any power farming or money grinding after the early game. You just have to skip certain shopping points that don't help much like for helmets with +1 defense and such, and you don't switch party members too much and are careful with your rare items. I don't think I visited monster island at all in my last playthrough.
(edited 1 month ago)

Ariax
1 month ago#8
I heard that the CharmRod is needed to get the treasure chests. 'I've since found that is technically not true, as I got the JahAR chest with the DluxPole from Simafort. However, the timing of the button presses has to be PERFECT, as in Boombada perfect, and no small amount of luck was also needed. (Thank God for save states!). However, I did find the JahAR rather disappointing compared to other armors at that point in the game.

Call me crazy, but I have also caught Snpers with the pole bought in Hometown. It takes a LOT of patience, but it can be done. However, Snpers do sell at 1500 Z a pop. Does that make the effort worthwhile? You decide!

User Info: HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan
4 weeks ago#9
you can get the chests with the delux rod (3rd rod, I think, charm is the 4th/best rod), but it's impossible to get stuff with the 1st and 2nd, at least for me... and I always use the trick of moving the chest as close as possible (directly straight down from the fishing line/cliff), in order to then bet able to pull the chest up before the line breaks, as I can't time the thing at all or press it fast enough, without using that trick to shorten the distance as much as possible

as a completionist, I always try to get all the stuff, but it's really not practical or worth it (talking more in general with equipment farming from monsters, but also pertains to some of the fishing gear): the equipment isn't that much better, and/or isn't really even needed, especially for the effort and/or if you already over-leveled, though it does save on gold, to get equipment for "free" (ignoring the time/effort in-game time and in real-world time/effort), lol, also, you usually get better stuff not that far long after anyways... in terms of practicality, all equipment doesn't matter, except for the end-game/final equipment, only get what you need, until the end-game equipment, I really wish I wasn't a completionist, as that doesn't meld well with practicality, sighs

Ariax
4 weeks ago#10
I managed to get the IronBR from a fishing chest, which is really handy for Glass Cannon Katt. Yes. I know Hanz sells them, but I didn't take him this time. Besides, a Maniro that sells them will be available soon. The only drop that I farm for is Gold, which isn't that hard to get in Simafort's basement.

I am skipping the elemental armors purchase wise, as elemental defense doesn't seem to offer much benefit in this game. (Elemental weapons, on the other hand...)

Pulling the chest up isn't about pushing the button fast, but rather pushing it smoothly and evenly, which is harder than it sounds.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. No cooking playthrough
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

Is Martin just a scammer? Side Quest1 Answer
What does Vigor do? Build1 Answer
How to recruit Bleu help plz. Spoilers?? General2 Answers
Fishing sea chests? General2 Answers
How do I beat (K. sludge)? Enemy/Boss2 Answers