• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. 1st time playing... what do I need to know?

User Info: Shamrock99

Shamrock99
2 months ago#51
Beat the game a couple nights ago. Got the "best" ending (I think the "sad" ending is better, actually -- much heavier and leaves a real lasting impression).

I didn't even recognize the character at the end credits at 7:04:
https://youtu.be/T5kP147txUU?t=424

Looked it up and then realized it was Claris the spy during the St. Eva church stuff. Oh, and when examining a NPC in Dologany, the name Pako is brought up. What's up with that? A character from the original BoF or something?

Infinity wasn't bad at all with the warp trick. Barubary was the hardest boss but even he wasn't that bad. Final boss was easier, but then again he didn't cast Death on me a single time, so maybe that was why. He just did physical attacks, Coldbrth, Bonelzr , "become the power of God" where he saps HP from each party member, and maaaaybe Explode once...? Was a little too easy. My characters were in the 43-44 range. Did I just get super lucky and he didn't cast something bigger?!

Ryu: G.Dragon/Thunder/Ice/Fire Dragon
Nina: Bolt X and use WiseBL's on Ryu once in a while and otherwise Van.Ext's for the party
Rand: Cure 3 and Missile
Katt: "Keep" ability... which just annihilates

That was it. The guide I was following (by Representative) said to have like 18 WiseBL's and 12 Biscuits... I used maybe 4 WiseBL's and no biscuits haha. How annoying that I was always stuffing my inventor with that stuff, especially the biscuits.

Great game, but only because I knew how to play it thanks to guides and you guys! If I didn't get the correct township tenants it could have been a real drag. The mushroom hunt would have been massively annoying and the Uparupa section would have been terrible. Not to mention Highfort if I didn't have Sten leveled. Basically, the game is rad if you know to do this stuff, but that's poor game design on Capcom's part. Going in blind would have sucked, so I'm glad I made this topic. Overall, with help, the game is a solid 4/5.

--

I have BoFIII and IV in my backlog... I realize part 3 is a huge game (I probably won't be doing all there is to do in it). Does it have the same bulls*** as part 2 did? Like, where you can tell Capcom is just being a******s to the player? If so, I'll need to make a topic about how to approach that game on its board when I get around to playing it!
"Saturn users are people who truly love games." - Hideo Kojima
http://tinyurl.com/hu8kkln | http://www.backloggery.com/Kajicat
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Strontium

Strontium
2 months ago#52
Shamrock99 posted...
when examining a NPC in Dologany, the name Pako is brought up. What's up with that? A character from the original BoF or something?

There's this running joke(???) about Patty's name being misheard or misremembered. Trout calls her Pako too. I think something was lost in translation there.

Shamrock99 posted...
Infinity wasn't bad at all with the warp trick. Barubary was the hardest boss but even he wasn't that bad. Final boss was easier, but then again he didn't cast Death on me a single time, so maybe that was why. He just did physical attacks, Coldbrth, Bonelzr , "become the power of God" where he saps HP from each party member, and maaaaybe Explode once...? Was a little too easy. My characters were in the 43-44 range. Did I just get super lucky and he didn't cast something bigger?!

Barubary is the hardest boss because all his attacks hit the whole party and he might do a counter, plus he's never concerned about healing himself.
Deathevn is just easier. The worst thing he can do is get lucky with repeated Deaths, or if he keeps absorbing HP & AP you might eventually run out of heals.

Glad you enjoyed the game! :D

Shamrock99 posted...
I have BoFIII and IV in my backlog... I realize part 3 is a huge game (I probably won't be doing all there is to do in it). Does it have the same bulls*** as part 2 did? Like, where you can tell Capcom is just being a******s to the player? If so, I'll need to make a topic about how to approach that game on its board when I get around to playing it!

BoF3 is much more user friendly. There's some annoying forced minigames and maybe some obtuse puzzles in a few dungeons, but nothing that should require looking up a solution.
The only thing you'll want foreknowledge of is the infamous Desert of Death at the very end of the game. It is a slog to get through, and the in-game instructions are mistranslated so east and west got flipped or something.
Tea is very frustrating. All the exotic flavors smell so good. Then you drink them and it's like, "THIS IS STILL JUST BAD HOT WATER!"

User Info: _Kaz

_Kaz
2 months ago#53
Strontium posted...
There's this running joke(???) about Patty's name being misheard or misremembered. Trout calls her Pako too. I think something was lost in translation there.

Off-hand this sounds like a mistranslation of Patty. In hiragana, her spelling is パティ, the syllables (PA)+(TI)+(trailing ee) - - which for confused NPCs who don't remember all of it, would reply "PA - something"... (PA) + (trailing vowel) (KO).

Personally I would say it should be localized as "Pa, Pa, Pa-something".
For brevitys compromise, "Whatsherwings" would be close.
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!

Shamrock99
2 months ago#54
I picked up from my last save last night so I could fight Deathevn again to see if I beat him on a fluke, but alas, he was super easy again. This time he actually cast Death 3 times though. It only succeeded once, on Katt, which unfortunately rid her of her Devil fusion, but I revived her and we all continued to absolutely pummel Deathevn into oblivion. Easy as pie, again. I guess that's just how it is when you've got G.Dragon and WiseBL's!

Strontium posted...
BoFIII... the only thing you'll want foreknowledge of is the infamous Desert of Death at the very end of the game.

Haha, yes I have actually seen people complaining about this before so I will beware.

User Info: Ariax

Ariax
2 months ago#55
Deathevn's Death spell is annoying when he does it, as is his "Be God's Power" ability, but I've never seen him use them often enough to be a problem. Overall, he's fairly easy as far as final bosses go.

Breath of Fire 3 is a much bigger game, but it's also a much smoother ride. As Strontium said, the only part you'll have to watch out for is the Desert of Death near the end of the game.

As for Breath of Fire 4, it goes a little nuts with the mini-games at times, but otherwise it's not too bad.

Ariax
2 months ago#56
Oh, I think the mystery character is supposed to be Claris.

User Info: Crimsonchalice

Crimsonchalice
2 months ago#57
Spoilers coming up........

In regards to mini-games; BOF 3 bothered me a lot more then 4. I didn't really mind the desert that much ( aside from the faulty directions ), I felt it was far worse when the mini-games were used to bridge story segments. IMO, the worst parts are the sequences that leads up to your party making sashimi for the depressed mayor ( a mini-game as well ). You have to go fish for mackerel, backtrack for horse-radish, bang Peco's head into trees ( to get something, I forgot what ) and pull water out of a well ( which, for some abominable reason was also deemed worthy of being a mini-game ) and trade that for vinegaar.

I just think this is stupid. It's not fun, it's not rewarding. It's a boring waste of time. I rarely replay BOF 3 just for these reasons, even i I like certain aspects of the game. I just end up feeling insulted every time I have to deal with these mind-numbing antics.
A similar chain of events in BOF 2 would be the quest for the Therapy Pillow, that will take you to a set number of places in order ( Hightfort-Mt Maori-Tunlan ), which I appreciate so much more. Yes, it took longer time to complete it, yes you had to fight more. But at least you got to see new areas and do things that seemed to have meaning.
Meh, I hope TC likes BOF 3 more than I do.......
"C.Chalice - Dream or deceit ? Who will ever know ?"
(edited 2 months ago)

Shamrock99
2 months ago#58
Crimsonchalice posted...
Spoilers coming up........

Hmmm. Well, then I won't even read your post in fear of spoiling BoFIII for me before I play. If you're only talking about BoFII then that's fine since I beat it, but probably use spoiler tags.

User Info: Crimsonchalice

Crimsonchalice
2 months ago#59
It's mostly me ranting about my disdain for BOF 3.s mini-games and how poorly implemented they were back in the days. The post does touch briefly on one specific plot/story event, so if those things are important to you then don't read it.

A heads-up ( without spoiling ) would be that BOF 3 is riddled with unmotivated mini-games and many of them, also including other seperate events, requires specific characters to complete the objective. Since this occasionally happens in dungeuns, you can sometimes be forced to backtrack to the nearest DS/camp site to able to advance. This is, safe to say, annoying......
"C.Chalice - Dream or deceit ? Who will ever know ?"

Ariax
2 months ago#60
The main mini-game of BoF3 is FISHING. Even though it is optional, the rewards it offers can make a huge impact on gameplay. Thankfully, the fishing mini-game in BoF3 is a completely different animal than fishing in BoF2.

The Shisu subquest is a pain in the arse but not that difficult unless you're gunning for the best prize.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. 1st time playing... what do I need to know?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A