• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. Fusion is dumb (And some ranting)

User Info: praetarius3

praetarius3
9 months ago#11
Everyone learns at least 12 spells now, after that you can still have access to items and Spar has a unique skill that refreshes your parties' spell charges once.
I'm currently replacing stat increasing items with spell teaching items, that would be another potential 6 spell uses per battle.
Also I honestly doubt any boss should last 20+ rounds. At that point it just becomes HP bloat.

For turn order:
skills with higher skill power (which replaces the AP cost in the menu) are usually slower
and stuff like wind has higher speed than ice as you might expect from their elements (I certainly have to adjust values down the road still)
Will that tell you exact values? no, but it should give you at least a rough idea.

On the topic of healing...
personally I prefer damage mitigation over healing.
So far I've made the power down debuff just work 100% of the time even on bosses,
have shamans give resist to their element (with devil = physical/non-elemental)
and am experimenting with a timed hit/defense mechanic ala Mario RPG, so I'm shoving the resposibility for survival from my end to the player :d
For healing the biggest issue will obviously be the very start when you have maybe 1-2 uses and no money to stock up on items. But then BoF2 always felt pretty big on early game hell to me...

User Info: SquidFetus

SquidFetus
9 months ago#12
I don't mind that you can get knocked out of shaman forms so much, but I think the fact that certain storyline events force your transformed characters to reset is hideously time-wasting and has no good reason to exist apart from forcing arbitrary back-tracking. The fact that the final dungeon of the game does this is just so painful. Half the time I don't bother leaving and re-bonding because the high encounter rate and long-winded paths through Infinity are just so painful to endure a second time.

There are plenty of rough edges to this game, but I still love it. Something about the flavour keeps me coming back to it roughly once a year or so, although these days I only play through to completion roughly half the time.

User Info: Strontium

Strontium
9 months ago#13
SquidFetus posted...
Half the time I don't bother leaving and re-bonding because the high encounter rate and long-winded paths through Infinity are just so painful to endure a second time.
And that's why we do this;

Save in Dologany or lower Infinity.
Use your Exit magic to get back up to the surface.
DON'T SAVE
Fuse your shamans.
Take your non-fused party members into battle.
KO yourselves.
The death warp takes you down where you last saved.
Swap in your shamanized party members.

There, saved you an extra trip.
Tea is very frustrating. All the exotic flavors smell so good. Then you drink them and it's like, "THIS IS STILL JUST BAD HOT WATER!"

User Info: SquidFetus

SquidFetus
9 months ago#14
Strontium posted...

DON'T SAVE
Fuse your shamans.
KO yourselves.

That is a useful exploit! Thanks for sharing. <3

User Info: _Kaz

_Kaz
9 months ago#15
Strontium posted...

DON'T SAVE
Fuse your shamans.
KO yourselves.

Why does that work? (I'm asking along the lines of curiosity -- is this a bug or a feature the devs secretly squeezed in there?)
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
(message deleted)

User Info: praetarius3

praetarius3
9 months ago#17
The game does not undo everything when you die, it just warps you back to the last save point and takes half your gold.
So when you save somewhere it sets your death warp point to that position, therefor avoid the save statue in township.
When your current party gets K.O.'d the "lazy backup team" doesn't go into critical HP so they keep their fusions - so to death warp with fusions alive you just have to take sacrificial pawns into the current group.

Nothing special happens there, just a simple combination of game features.
You can do the same at the start of the game to cut down on backtracking between capitan and township after getting the carpenter.

User Info: Ariax

Ariax
8 months ago#18
I learned that trick from watching HC Bailly's (sp?) Let's Play videos. Very handy!

It transforms a soul-crushing ordeal into a typical long, tough endgame dungeon.

User Info: Expa0

Expa0
7 months ago#19
I think them getting out fusion via falling to low health is fine, I like the extra incentive to try to keep your peeps healthy.

My only gripe with Fusion is how the final dungeon forces your guys out of fusion at the halfway point, forcing you to do the first part all over again if you want to have them for the 2nd part, that's so annoying. There's also the Antini event that trolled me once when I had already done the first part of the dungeon twice to get my shamanized guys to that point, but at least now I know better.

Strontium posted...
DON'T SAVE
Fuse your shamans.
KO yourselves.
Holy s***, that's amazing, I'm definitely going to that this time, thank you so much!
"Cower before the might of the magic Imhullu: once forbidden, now unleashed!"
-Gharnef (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. Fusion is dumb (And some ranting)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A