• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. I just had to laugh (Nina's Exit spell)

User Info: papercut1x4

papercut1x4
10 months ago#1
So haha, I can use Nina's Exit spell OUTSIDE a little ways up or on top of Mt. Maori, but not in the basement dungeon of Windia on the way to the Guardian. SNES version. Anyone know particularly for GBA? Don't get me wrong, the only reason I don't like it better than BoF 1 is because I give it a handicap for graphics, and either way both are top jRPGs.

User Info: kroda

kroda
10 months ago#2
I don't think anything like this was changed in the GBA port.

User Info: Strontium

Strontium
10 months ago#3
The reason you can't use Exit in the Windia trial is that it would presumably mess with the game if Nina got out of there without rejoining with the rest of the party. You might lose Ryu entirely since he can't be added or removed in the party change menu.
Tea is very frustrating. All the exotic flavors smell so good. Then you drink them and it's like, "THIS IS STILL JUST BAD HOT WATER!"

kroda
10 months ago#4
Also story wise, Nina is doing a trial, she wouldn't chose to run away so having the spell greyed out is like Nina refusing to use it.

papercut1x4
10 months ago#5
Oh no, I mean even before that, in the dungeon when the party first goes down the stairs past the guards. It's a dungeon with random encounters but Exit spell had no effect. Like, it works in ThvsTom one floor down but not the cellar there in Windia.

Let me think . . . . . . if I get a chance to play through it a second time, I would assume this would be the same for the whale, and probably HighlandFT as well when the party gets back together. I'm skeptical though because I think I did use the Exit spell and got dumped in the lobby. Can't remember @@

papercut1x4
10 months ago#6
@kroda that makes the most sense though, the SNES version has a few, what I call, "lazy" coding things. I quote "lazy" because I don't know how to code, but if the area where Nina goes solo is coded Windia dungeon in any way, and then Nina is later coded when in "trial area" to have Exit spell disabled, those code instructions just get blanketed under all random encounter Windia Castle areas.

kroda
10 months ago#7
Yeah, I see what you mean.
This kind of things are generally not hard to change, basically it's a 'yes or no' line written for each location. The tricky part could be that in their dungeon database they couldn't separate easily the Nina solo part from the rest of the dungeon so they ended locking the spell from the whole dungeon. Since memory was the major reason of decision back then this is a scenario totally possible, they couldn't afford to break the dungeon into 2 different entries.
Anyway, even if it's not the case, I hope I shed some light of why such issues can exist in these games.

papercut1x4
10 months ago#8
Absolutely, nice, that seems more logical than "lazy". Locking the spell from somewhere within that chapter of code as a whole would indicate they planned to be able to do something like that, but they wouldn't be splitting hairs for the sake of efficiency. It's just a little dungeon in, what I like to refer to as, a domestic zone. I was absorbed by the fact that, since it was such a small little area, I felt jilted.

The same feeling any time a safe-zone goes haywire and I miss an item pick-up, but too bad, the sequence is done, haha

User Info: Expa0

Expa0
6 months ago#9
The Exit spell in this game is way unreliable, there are way too many instances where it just doesn't work.
"Cower before the might of the magic Imhullu: once forbidden, now unleashed!"
-Gharnef (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire II
  3. I just had to laugh (Nina's Exit spell)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A