• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire
  3. A sweet discovery

User Info: Novalia_Spirit

Novalia_Spirit
8 years ago#1
A long-standing myth suggests that the BrokenSD can be repaired; or, at the very least, this is what most first-time players believe to be possible... until their delusions are eventually shattered, that is. Regrettably, this post is not going to demystify that allegation, but what I have discovered today appears much more fascinating to me, despite its utter lack of practical purpose and the novelty having worn thin, than whichever weapon the sword could possibly be forged into if such a thing is actually possible.

First of all, to provide a bit of context, there is something I would like to mention, and it is the fact that I have recently resumed work on my item guide. In fact, I have devoted countless hours to it for about a month now, the majority of which has been spent on cleaning up and commenting a dozen of files containing disassembled code, a project that has quite rapidly proven to be the most boring task I have ever undertaken; unfortunately, I will not have much time to work on this in the weeks to come, so I'm thinking about releasing a work-in-progress version in a week or two, if anyone is interested, that is.

Anyway, to get back to the BrokenSD, now that all of my disassemblies have been fully cleaned up of bad code, scanning the files to see if any undocumented item-related instruction would emerge was in order. While doing so, I came across such a function that could basically be translated to this:

Load leader's weapon
Is it BrokenSD?
Branch if not
(Some code)

After about thirty minutes of experimentation and deductions, I finally figured out the purpose of that function, and made an animated GIF for all to witness:

http://novaliaspirit.99k.org/temp/long/brokensd.gif

That's right. If Ryu is equipped with BrokenSD as you trigger the good ending (you don't need to worry about his position, the party is automatically rearranged prior to the ending sequence), Chun-Li will make yet another appearance in the game! Pretty sweet, eh? :P
Un homme et ses péchés.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
8 years ago#2
That is really cool! I have never seen the good ending, so i will be sufficiently excited to see that for the first time too. lol
I am finally a "Legend (32)"!! You should be proud of me!!
Hey! I share Locke's last name. Just maybe he is my long lost brother?

User Info: DragonAura

DragonAura
8 years ago#3
That's very interesting. Great work as always!

It kind of makes me wonder if there is something similar in BoF2. IIRC, the game mentions that the SoleSD is broken.

User Info: LancetJades

LancetJades
8 years ago#4
I wonder if it also works for the Melted Blade or Bent Sword in BoF3, and Broken King's Sword in BoF4.

Would be pretty funny if there was some sort of consistent "broken weapon" easter egg in the whole series that's flew under everyone's head for over a decade.
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.

User Info: Ecchage

Ecchage
8 years ago#5
I'll need to check that out, It's too bad that I already sold it though. :(

Novalia_Spirit
8 years ago#6
Ah, I had completely forgotten how most, if not all of the games in the series feature a weapon whose name implies that the item is broken. BreakSD from Breath of Fire II could probably be added to the list, as its name resembles that of BrokenSD. It bears mentioning, however, that it is possible that some of these names have a completely different connotation in the Japanese versions; this would need verification.

That being said, I've tried setting a breakpoint-on-read on Ryu's weapon (basically, the game halts execution whenever the identity of Ryu's weapon is checked) before and during the better ending in Breath of Fire II, and nothing happened except for a few in-battle cases (to be specific, the functions for "Toasty" and "Special" attacks both check for the attacker's weapon). I'll test the other endings as well as those from the other games once I can find the time and the motivation, which may not be anytime soon.
Un homme et ses péchés.

Novalia_Spirit
8 years ago#7
As promised, here's a work-in-progress version of my item guide:

http://novaliaspirit.99k.org/bof/file/bof_item_guide.zip

Admittedly, it's far from pretty format-wise, and the fact that Herb is currently the first item in the list certainly doesn't help, but since I prioritize file size over aesthetics, this is unlikely to change. Nevertheless, a modification I have been considering would be to put the value of each item on the far right side of the line on which the name is listed, but I'm really not sure whether this idea is worth it; feel free to express your opinion about this.

Oh, and keep in mind that the lists haven't been sorted yet, which includes treasure lists. Likewise, be aware that the effect and location for certain items (mostly key items and items obtained through fishing, hunting, or events) haven't been listed yet.
Un homme et ses péchés.

User Info: Ecchage

Ecchage
8 years ago#8
Well, keep up with the hard work. I know I'm looking forward to a guide done by you.

User Info: LancetJades

LancetJades
8 years ago#9
Is this item guide going to contain all equipment and any special effects they have? I saw some sort of document (entirely in japanese) that mentioned several effects I couldn't translate properly, and heard that there were even more than that.
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.

Novalia_Spirit
8 years ago#10
All of the items that exist in the game data are listed in the document, which includes a plethora of unused items, most of which have no name. This reminds me, I wanted to post a screenshot of what the Coach actually looks like, but it slipped my mind, so here it is:

http://novaliaspirit.99k.org/temp/long/bof_coach.png

As for the effects of equipment, I have basically listed everything I could find, so the guide is pretty much complete in that regard; the only possibility that comes to mind is Coach, as it's listed in a lot of functions that I didn't bother to decipher.
Un homme et ses péchés.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire
  3. A sweet discovery
  • Topic Archived