• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. ActRaiser 2
  3. My thoughts on why the final stage was not needed

User Info: HippopotamusRex

HippopotamusRex
5 years ago#1
ActRaiser 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I have studied the plot, messages and symbols in it though not so much the actual stages.

Every time I play I feel the game should have ended at Humbleton, the most powerful point in the plot. The game carries inspiration from Paradise Lost at several points:

- The intro sequence demo is the War in Heaven recounted by Raphael to Adam in the Garden of Eden in the middle portion of Paradise Lost.

- The Master's statue bears an uncanny resemblance to Archangel Michael, the strongest warrior in God's army and his second in command. In Paradise Lost and the Bible, Michael is the one who defeats Satan in battle in the War in Heaven, though the Son is the one who finishes him off and expels him.

- Satan is not a fighter in Paradise Lost, which explains how easily he was defeated by Michael, and why him and his peers are so demoralized at the start of the poem at how quickly they were defeated. Satan devises a plan since he knows he is not strong enough to win with brute force to instead win by guile and corrupt the children of God that are even weaker than he is, as a way to get back at God who is far stronger than he is. This is similar to how instead of destroying the world in A2, Satan is corrupting the people with his sins, causing them to fight each other, lock each other in prisons without paying taxes, etc.

Humbleton to me represents the culmination of this. It is the point in the series in which the conflict between Master and man boils over. In the same way that God doesn't destroy Satan in Paradise Lost since he has already done so and instead tragically "destroys" Adam and Eve, I think the game would have been better if the final handywork of Satan was the Babel plot-line in Humbleton that delivers the most tragic strike to God, having to put down his own creations who grew prideful.
How can you prove the Bible to be false? Were you there 6000 years ago? I didn't think so.
  1. Boards
  2. ActRaiser 2
  3. My thoughts on why the final stage was not needed
  • Topic Archived