1-8-1 Famicom Disk System Version Challenge

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  3. 1-8-1 Famicom Disk System Version Challenge

User Info: osurpless

osurpless
4 weeks ago#1
As a quasi addendum to the fascinating posts for these types of challenges circa 2015-early 2016, I thought I’d share some interesting bits that make the FDS version interesting for the above challenge and similar level 1 handicap runs.

1. This edition of the game is on the Famicom Mini, making the headaches of dealing with wore belts and potentially fraudulent discs for the FDS no longer an issue, so there’s accessibility right there!

2. The different leveling system of this edition is actually quite conducive to a handicap challenge, as I was progressing just fine until getting the flute. Having forgotten it before fighting the Helmethead reskin, I decided to just game over. Sure, I was back to level 1 magic, but given that I’m on my way to Palace 6, it’s safe to say that the enemies will get me back to level 8 quicker than expected.

3. The system also helps handicap runs as you can max out one attribute at no higher than 800 points required, so each subsequent crystal (with Tekites and other enemies being easier to deal with here) ensure that you’ll have plenty of extra lives!

4. Hope this encourages people who have done this awesome run to check out the FDS version for a different take on it. I’m definitely looking forward to dying in the Great Palace but it hardly being a big deal restarting at the beginning of it, as the Blue Fokkkas are worth 500 points in this version. Hello, level 8 magic again!

Also, I think I have a pretty foolproof strategy for level 1 attack Rebonack in case anyone is still struggling with the hardest boss in this run...
" Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair..." Final Fantasy IX - Trance Kuja

User Info: Blair

Blair
4 weeks ago#2
Have fun and good luck.
FFBE 077.718.543
xfdsharks

User Info: osurpless

osurpless
4 weeks ago#3
And the challenge is done!; no real surprises, other than how annoying Barba’s and Thunderbird’s growling in the FDS version can be due to the protracted nature of level 1 attack runs. Have some music ready to avoid a headache...

I did like how it is truly no sweat to relevel to magic 8 if (and likely when) you die in the Great Palace, especially with the endlessly respawning dinofish one room above the way to Thunderbird.
" Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair..." Final Fantasy IX - Trance Kuja
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  3. 1-8-1 Famicom Disk System Version Challenge

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.