• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. River City Ransom
  3. This is probably the best version of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari to ever hit th

User Info: ScumBag

ScumBag
6 years ago#1
Now, this could be based on the fact that I had to emulate the TGCD and the X68000 versions, but in terms of responsiveness during gameplay this version is the most precise and fast moving.

River City Ransom EX is a close second both for it's gameplay and additions, like being able to recruit a posse and having up to eight characters on screen which gives it a lot of extra replay.

Both the Turbo Graphix and X68000 versions felt laggy to me, and I was surprised that the sound effects, especially for metal weapons sounded more substantive and accurate on the NES version. The X68000 version feels the most "dead", but the addition of new routes and boss schools is pretty great, and maybe a translated version would change my tune because I almost never knew what I was buying or who I was meeting or why.

So those are my thoughts now that I've had a shot at the top heap of RCR games. The original, in my mind, has some of the best sound and gameplay, followed by EX which is just as quick and adds so much more, to the TCD version which is beautiful, but laggy, and essentially the same as the NES version, to the the X68000, which is as laggy and deadpan as the TCD, but adds a new perspective to the city by showcasing where some of the gangs hail from and how close those schools were to Cross Town and River City High.
remember when we made a tower to heaven, so we might beat Jon Franco at videogames, and he cast it down and confused out languages? ......that sucked

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
6 years ago#2
I like to think the X68k emulation isn'r perfect as graphical glitches occur often.
The PCE version... I remember jumping being floatier, but the game was mostly the same? (..but that soundtrack!)
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

ScumBag
6 years ago#3
I weirdly maybe, prefer the NES versions tunage blip for bloop, and sound effects as well, but I would consider the TCD then EX versions comparible if you prefer those versions of the music.

Again though, I only played emulations of the TCD and X68000 versions where I have legit copies of the NES and EX to go on, and emulation for those two may not be adequit to judge from in terms of lag. I'd love to hear if there are strong differences between emulated and console play on those. But the TCD version IS the NES version, word for word, area to area, boss to boss, on strong graphical and audio dope, digitized voices and all, though the X68000 version offers digitized voices as well, albeit with a lot of disk switching.
remember when we made a tower to heaven, so we might beat Jon Franco at videogames, and he cast it down and confused out languages? ......that sucked

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
6 years ago#4
Were you playing the PCE edition of Downtown Nekketsu or the CD edition?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhUENyQhsKQ

The guitars are a LOT nicer sounding on the TGCD edition. (The sound from the PCE/TG15 is a lot noisier and more distorted than the NES as evidenced by the F/X in the video.)

the X68000 version offers digitized voices as well, albeit with a lot of disk switching.

I can't imagine that. I know that would be right, but disk-switching in the middle of an action game just sounds ridiculous to do.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

ScumBag
6 years ago#5
I played the Super CD version. This version you show looks about the same graphically but moves apparently a little slower, but sounds, although muddier, surprisingly close to the CD version's musical score. I like the Super CD version second to the NES, but I don't think any one of the versions is truly awful, and since they are all somewhat different I'd say they are all worth a play.

As for disk switching. Floppy disk switching. The emulator will ask you to switch disks as the X68000 computer would, but since the rom is pre-loaded with all that one merely has to select the emulators drop-down menu or use hot-keys. But the funny thing is you sometimes have to do it for a single boss. So you'll clear through a school, and at the very top the game will have a disk read error, you reload the disk, as if you switched it, then the speech and battle will commence, then after you'll have to switch back upon leaving that single fight. It certainly breaks the pace.

ScumBag
6 years ago#6
Even though that video says PCE, I think it's just a less than perfect recording of the Super CD version, if it's not, then they are so closely related the CD was pointless. ha ha

And the TGCD version's music is my second favorite, but RCREX has my second favorite gameplay, if what I wrote was confusing.
  1. Boards
  2. River City Ransom
  3. This is probably the best version of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari to ever hit th
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A