• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 2
  3. Why are the metal blades so broken?

User Info: wheresatari

wheresatari
9 years ago#1
Warning: This info will be used for a top 10 list. Any poster who's info I use will get credit. Thanks
No man cometh unto the FATHER, but through me.
-The LORD JESUS CHRIST. John 14 verse 6.

User Info: zuschzero

zuschzero
9 years ago#2
Because back in the days, game designers doesn't really try to get a good balance in games that has multiple powers. Same thing with the spread gun in Contra and Super C.
Opinions can be wrong. Even global opinions can be wrong!

User Info: ShineGreymon

ShineGreymon
9 years ago#3
Personally I think the devs felt that they made Mega Man 1 too difficult so this was them overreacting and making it too easy.

Still Heatman, Quickman, Airman and Crashman are resistant to it which isn't too crazy.

Megaman 3 they got it just right.
"Stop living in the past you idiots!" - Chris Jericho
RIP Mega Man - 1987 - 2011

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
9 years ago#4
"Warning: This info will be used for a top 10 list. Any poster who's info I use will get credit. Thanks"

Translation: I want to become popular by making a top 10 list (hah) and can't be bothered to play games or do original research of my own.

You realize those lists are supposed to reflect your own opinion, right?

User Info: qzecwx

qzecwx
9 years ago#5
I concur. The only reason I care to read any Gamefaqs top ten lists at all is to laugh at how unabashedly uninformed the writers are. This whole almost research thing seems kind of counter-intuitive.

Besides, Metal Blade isn't even the most broken Mega Man weapon.
I am Glass Joe! The gods fear my name! My boxing skill is peerless!

User Info: ShineGreymon

ShineGreymon
9 years ago#6
Yeah I stopped taking them seriously when Chun Li didn't make a top 10 notable females in gaming list.
"Stop living in the past you idiots!" - Chris Jericho
RIP Mega Man - 1987 - 2011

User Info: Blair

Blair
9 years ago#7
bzzzt bzzzt bzzzzzt
xfdsharks

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
9 years ago#8
Besides, Metal Blade isn't even the most broken Mega Man weapon.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider it to be? Certainly Metal Blade's a contender at least, but I'd agree that something like MM3's Top Spin that absolutely trivalizes entire sections of the game, or MMX's Storm Tornado's ridiculous damage and low cost arguably break the games they're in even more.

User Info: qzecwx

qzecwx
9 years ago#9
Top Spin

Heh. Wrong type of broken. Top Spin is only upper mid tier or so. It'd place in a top fifty list in a list of all the classic series weapons, I guess, but it doesn't have much going for it other than being a weapon in Mega Man 3 that isn't entirely worthless.
Storm Tornado is good, but hardly broken. It's just too slow. Fire Wave and Chameleon Sting are better, and I wouldn't call them broken either. I like to keep classic MM and X separate anyway. X is just so much faster that the parameters that make a weapon good or bad have to be shifted around.

So, the classic series has eight powers I'd call broken: Metal Blade, Shadow Blade, Triple Blade, Flash Stopper, Ballade Cracker, Electric Shock, Break Dash, and Wave Burner. The thing is, I'm such a fussbudget that every time I talk about this, the order they go in from most to least absurd changes. <_<
The only thing I can say with any certainty is that Shadow Blade is last and Break Dash is first. Break Dash is just insane. Its 19 ammunition can be stretched to near infinity with MMV's cheap W tanks, it's a speed booster, it has enough attack power to one-shot just about every enemy in the game, and even when it doesn't, it gives you a really long invulnerability period after so you can either just run through it or charge another one. The half-charge completes before the invincibility runs out, so they can be chained together for an indefinite god mode. It's Mario's starman, basically.

For the time being, I'd put Flash Stopper above Metal Blade, too. Man, nothing bugs me like seeing people hold onto that for the entirety of MM4's endgame, only to dump it all (well, five of seven) in Wily 3 in order to ensure that they fight Pharaoh Man in the slowest and most boring manner possible.
I am Glass Joe! The gods fear my name! My boxing skill is peerless!

User Info: Lashenya

Lashenya
9 years ago#10
If this qzecwx is the same as one of my favorite youtube sensations, I would take his word for it.

Most people consider Metal Blade broken because its uber powerful, can shoot in all 8 directions and the ammo can be infinite, if you pause after every shot. Quick boomerang also falls into the category if potentially infinite ammo.

Top Spin is broken in a different way. Yes it one shots most (all?) lesser enemies. But if for some reason it doesnt, the way the ammo is programmed will drain it nearly instantly if you just so happen to remain inside the enemies sprite after the initial hit.

In all honesty, I think the mega buster is broken. I mean, come on...I can solo the whole game with it except for one or two notable places where I must use Crash Bomb and Bubble Lead...
Coffee? Heh...isn't my cup of tea - Scooter
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 2
  3. Why are the metal blades so broken?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A