• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 2
  3. Is there a difference between the American and Europe versions?

User Info: KoiNoDensetsu

KoiNoDensetsu
8 years ago#1
I have tried both the American and European versions through "special means". For some reason, the American version is a lot faster than the European version; it plays at like 3x the speed of the EU version. Same thing for the original Mega Man. Is there a difference between the two regions' copies, or is it just my copies?
PSN: KoiNoDensetsu

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
8 years ago#2
That's PAL for you. All european versions of NES games play at only 5/6 of original speed. 5/6 may seem like not much but it makes a huge difference, to the point of making some games almost unplayable. Even on european Virtual Console they still apply this slowdown, I regret downloading MM3 cause playing it is unbearabe. At least Mega Man 9 and 10 weren't slowed in Europe,

For comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMXA7FpR_U
I know what I doing

KoiNoDensetsu
8 years ago#3
I had no idea. Why are PAL games slowed down?

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
8 years ago#4
PAL standard uses 50Hz to transmit TV signal while NTSC uses 60Hz. Due to this NTSC displays 30 frames per second as opposed to PAL's 25 frames. Since both Japan and North America support NTSC all games were originally made with the framerate of 30 fps. But converting to PAL without affecting the performance was difficult back then, since PAL displays 5 frames less than NTSC.
There were only two options to convert to PAL: Retaining full speed at the cost of framerate drop, or keeping the framerate the same but slowing down the speed. Apparently the latter option was chosen and PAL games ended up slower due to displaying more frames per second than they are supposed to.
Of course, in present days the conversion is done properly and both PAL and NTSC games run at the same speed and framerate but the issue wasn't solved up until DreamCast.
I know what I doing

KoiNoDensetsu
8 years ago#5
Ah I see. I feel bad for those that had to deal with this in the past. Thanks for the informative reply.

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
8 years ago#6
For comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMXA7FpR_U

As much as I love NTSC versions, I must say the stage music in Castlevania is cooler in the PAL version.
Almost sounds like a Metal Gear game.

User Info: ShinWesker

ShinWesker
8 years ago#7
The PS2 still suffered from the PAL is slower syndrome.

FFX is way slower on a PAL version than a NTSC. Same goes to Metal Gear or Silent Hill.

The problem got solved when PS3 and 360 hit the market. Don't know about Wii Games.

This problem didn't exist however when there was a choice given to either have 50hz or 60hz, such as most GameCube games had or Dreamcast.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 2
  3. Is there a difference between the American and Europe versions?
  • Topic Archived