• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda
  3. I know the cause of the Level 1 door unlocking itself! slight Outlands spoilers

User Info: avengah

avengah
7 years ago#1
It's ridiculous but I now know exactly what's causing the doors in the first rooms of the labyrinths to act strangely. I don't know why, but at least I know exactly what causes it.

Contrary to popular belief, the original Zelda's Level 1 glitch is NOT caused by leaving the level without unlocking the door. It's actually caused by ENTERING the level when the previous screen was exited to the south. This means that if you somehow glitched into the Level 1 part of the overworld from above, the north door would be unlocked on your very first visit to the level.

Now, apply this to Outlands. Level D has a locked north door. You can enter Level D's overworld area from the north or the east to access the level. If you enter the area from the north, the north door will be unlocked on your first visit to the level. If, however, you come from the east and enter the level, the north door will still be locked.

Moving on to Level S, you can enter its area from the west or the east. Since the west wall of the first room is completely solid, nothing happens if you enter from the west. If you enter from the east, however, the east door will unlock itself on entry to the level. If you exit the level, you exit via the north door. Then, if you re-enter the level, the previous movement was north, so the south wall is affected this time: as it's a bombable wall, it bombs itself open.

In Baxter's second quest walkthrough, he enters Level S's area from the east. This causes the eastern door in Level S's first room to be unlocked when he enters the level. Again, I'm not sure why it happens, but I can state the conditions under which it does happen.

It just occurred to me to test this for some reason, since I couldn't make any sense out of what I'd seen with the way the doors seemed to randomly either be locked or not. So anyway, since the quickest way to Level D's overworld coordinates from Level N is via the north entrance, the north door will usually be unlocked for most players.

I've just tested this theory with the original game, and I've established that if you leave Level 1, go offscreen to the east, come back and go back in that the door is still locked. So there it is; an answer to the glitch. I wonder if I'm the first to actually work out why it happens?
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F

avengah
7 years ago#2
Update: Using the Game Genie code AAPNLO you can walk through scenery. This let me enter Quest 1 Level 6's area (original game) from the west. Entering the level for the first time, the west door is now unlocked. This definitely seems to hold!

User Info: mitsguy2001

mitsguy2001
7 years ago#3
Thanks for posting that! Interestingly, Levels 1 and 6 in the 1st quest are the only to levels in either quest to have a locked door in the first room. You can't enter the overworld space with Level 1 from the north or Level 6 from the west, so normally, those doors would never unlock automatically. But when you exit a dungeon, it counts as if you are entering the overworld space from the north, so you can open the lock in Level 1, but not 6. I wonder why the game was programmed that way.

avengah
7 years ago#4
Thanks! The way I see it is this: entering a cave, staircase or entrance on the overworld does not count as a screen shift. However, leaving a labyrinth does count as a screen shift. This leads me to believe the following might be happening:

If you enter Level 1 (original game, not using glitches), the last shift is to the west. Leave Level 1, and the last shift is now to the south. Re-enter Level 1, and since the game is programmed to be able to place you anywhere in a labyrinth (as seen in several levels in Outlands), it "assumes" that since the last screen shift was to the south, that you must therefore have come from the north. This means that if the north wall is set to either a locked door or bombable wall, its state is changed to unlocked or bombed. Otherwise, how could you have come in from the north?

Obviously, you didn't actually come in from the north, but this could be what the game thinks. It's just a theory, though.

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
7 years ago#5
Damn, if you could only screen scroll glitch through solid wall west to east, you could save a key. Can get to level 6 east to west, but not the other way.
Let's get Dangerous.

User Info: VeryFunTimes

VeryFunTimes
7 years ago#6
That game genie code just makes Link stuck for me.
AIM: lostelixer

avengah
7 years ago#7
It works on the US original release. I programmed JNES so that pressing R would do Up+A on joypad 2. Regardless of your method, go into your items menu and do that. If there's a big red warning saying to always hold RESET when you power off, then it's a later version and it may not work. Also, different emulators seem to treat Game Genie codes differently, so try using JNES if you're not already; it works fine for me.

However, there seems to be no way to turn the code off. Once you activate it, you'll find yourself able to walk through rock, trees, Armos, tombstones etc. You can still enter caves and staircases etc. but you can't move Armos out of the way or anything like that. I think it still lets you push rocks (if you've already picked up the bracelet) and tombstones, though. Unticking the box in the cheat menu won't turn the code off, and neither will resetting the game. The only way I could disable the code was to actually unload the game and load it up again.

EDIT: Never mind, now it won't let me move either, trying it again! I'll see if I can get it to work. I'm not sure what's causing it to fail this time...

avengah
7 years ago#8
Correction: EIONGPEP is the code. The mix-up was caused by JNES's faulty cheat system - as I said, codes can't be turned off without reloading the game (after unticking the box, you can simply repick the game from the Recent menu). So I was trying different codes that I found on different sites, and obviously that one didn't originally work for me since I'd tried a different one. Then I tried a third one and it worked. Of course, I didn't know that the previous codes were actually still active; EIONGPEP and AAPNLO together still works.

So then, it's EIONGPEP. That definitely works.

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
7 years ago#9
Hmm...just checked level 6. It has two columns of wall on the right hand side, so that doesn't work.

So the screen scroll glitch doesn't matter there. Oh well.
Let's get Dangerous.

User Info: VeryFunTimes

VeryFunTimes
7 years ago#10
I had to do it myself to fully understand what you're talking about. Yes, it works when you head south to reach dungeon 1 and east to reach dungeon 6.

Interesting side note about the code.

If you walk all the way to the edge of the overworld map, you can scroll to the other side going east or west. If you go to the edge north or south you are taken to the entrance of the first cave. Also, scrolling from the far west to the far east puts you one screen north and east to west one screen south. Why? Also, because of this, if you try to scroll from west to east at the northernmost screen, or east to west from the southernmost, you go back to the first cave.

Hope this makes sense, it was hard to write.
AIM: lostelixer
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda
  3. I know the cause of the Level 1 door unlocking itself! slight Outlands spoilers
  • Topic Archived