• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy II
  3. How do certain things level up?

User Info: Naglfar94

Naglfar94
3 months ago#1
Okay as the title states I am a bit confused on how certain stats level up in this game. It has been a long time since I played this game (7 years ago since I last touched this game to be exact wow!!!) And here I am...7 years later I finally decide hey I am gonna put a serious real effort into playing this game since I played Final Fantasy 3 NES already. Now I admit I stopped this final fantasy game as I could not stand the limited inventory space and its stat system was a bit difficult for me to grasp at first but now that I have gained more experience and appreciation for a game like this since I greatly enjoy the SaGa games finished Unlimited Saga, went through both SaGa Frontier games and all 3 Romancing Saga games and Koudelka to boot which boasts a similar stats system to Final Fantasy 2.

And SaGa Frontier 2 and Koudelka both trained me at better item managing in rpgs with limited inventory lol I am back at this game slightly more experienced and appreciative of it seriously Kawazu's games are awesome if not underrated as many people seem to sometimes come off disliking these types of systems I personally like them sometimes they take some learning though.

And that is where I am with this game haha picking it up again so suddenly and diving into it many years later I am well lost on a few things. thank god my old save file I am playing I did a ton of level grinding my characters all have HP in the thousands and are far too strong for the parts I am playing at the moment.

my question is what exactly determines your magic stat?

I noticed that as powerful as my characters are whenever I use magic it does absolutely pathetic damage even with some spells being like level 5 now barely does a thing but then I checked my character's status and my magic stats are baffling low!! Maria who I gave both black and white magic to has a measly 12 for her magic stat and Firion who I slapped some magic on has 13 for his magic stat although I am focusing him mainly in using swords+spears to fight but gave him a bit of magic just in case you know?

So yeah how do you make the magical stats increase again? I am already familiar with MP and I am planning on getting the switch spell to later exploit that for MP boosts. but magic is a stat that does not seem to increase are the monsters I fight just too weak? I noticed since I grinded like mad early in the game I rarely get any stats after battle now everything has pretty much stopped.

I tried to cast magic in battle and that does not seem to do anything is casting the only way? and if so how many times? and does the cancel trick/glitch work for upping magic stat itself?

I became much more keen on using magic in this game after I noticed how bad inventory space was and the fact that monsters kept inflicting annoying status on me such as blind ugh I had to go an entire dungeon blinded because I ran out of items for it but then I see magic shops sell the Esna spell and that clears all statuses and potions are just a waste of space in this game especially when your HP is as high as mine a potion does next to nothing so I came to the conclusion that a way to tackle this game is not through items but magic.

it saves inventory space and seems more effective so I am now keen on raising magic stats better does anybody here know? and thanks in advance.

Also I would like to know if I have the right idea in mind this is something I did not think to do when I first started this game years ago before I stopped I had been trying to stockpile items in panic when in fact it is better off just using magic to fix stuff and keep a small handful of items just in case. that would explain why most items are more expensive than usual final fantasy games it is almost like this game is discouraging you to buy items and spend more on magic. Even phoenix downs don't seem worth it anymore.

For the most part I got the hang of most things in this game from playing so many of Kawazu's games through the SaGa series I get the idea but Final Fantasy 2 was one of his first games like this and it being a 1988 NES game its system is less polished than that of the later Romancing SaGa games and SaGa Frontier so it is a bit clunkier in stats and how they go up which is why I am relying halfway on glitches to pass this game Lol the stat building is similar yet not quite the same I'd say more like a prototype SaGa game if anything. If anybody is gonna ask me how far I am I am at the point where you get Layla or whatever her name is the pirate girl so seeing as to how high my stats are do I really need to worry right now about grinding magic? or will I be fine a bit longer? the game has been so easy thus far cause I overdid it with the leveling up but hey nothing was stopping that from happening.

Evasion and speed also confuse me a bit I keep hearing people say evasion is important to survive the game but I'd rather not equip a shield. Was never much a shield person in most final fantasy games I played I recall making use of them in the 6th game more but about it I'd rather when it is possible dedicate 2 weapons for more extra hits and more power. I read that speed can increase sometimes from trying to run from battle is this true? and once again can the select glitch/bug help it? and that is about it.

Thus far I am loving this game it is pretty fun and it might become one of my fav final fantasy games.

User Info: silktail

silktail
3 months ago#2
Naglfar94 posted...
my question is what exactly determines your magic stat?
The "Magic" stat or "Magic Power", is the MP equivalent to "Stamina"(/"Vitality") for HP.
So it determines how much MP you get when that grows.

Using/losing a lot of MP, from the amount than they started the battle with, will increase the chance of gaining Magic, as well as gaining MP.

Naglfar94 posted...
I tried to cast magic in battle and that does not seem to do anything is casting the only way? and if so how many times? and does the cancel trick/glitch work for upping magic stat itself?
You can lose MP through other methods, such as the Swap trick.
Just remember that restoring MP mid battle doesn't help, it compare the start and end of battle.

(Select-Cancel does nothing to MP, so doesn't help.)

Naglfar94 posted...
it saves inventory space and seems more effective so I am now keen on raising magic stats better does anybody here know?
You probably wanted to concentrate on Intelligence and Spirit, and avoid heavy equipment with magic penalties.

Naglfar94 posted...
I'd rather when it is possible dedicate 2 weapons for more extra hits and more power. I read that speed can increase sometimes from trying to run from battle is this true?
No.
Raising "Speed" (/"Agility") is mostly having high Evasion% for a better chance and completing lots of battles.

Wielding 2 weapons doesn't give extra hits or power in the original Famicom version, although it does it some of the remakes.
Double-hand wielding a single weapon would give extra power though, and note that a couple of weapons are good for boosting Evasion%.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Mover_of_Zigs

Mover_of_Zigs
3 months ago#3
I started a new game recently and I really like the "use it or lose it" approach to levelling in this game.
The first time I played it was as a teenager back when the Demiforce translation was first finished. I could only gaze longingly at FF5 since I didn't have a PC powerful enough for SNES emulation yet, so FF2/3 were the first fan translations I was exposed to. Good times 😉

The first time through, I initially made the mistake of trying to make everyone a jack of all trades. That didn't really work, so I abused save-states and cheated my way to the top with the select/cancel trick. About 10 years later I revisited it, this time giving it a fair chance and playing it as intended, and found it was much more well designed than I first thought.

Accept the Dumptruck as your Lord and Earth-Mover, that He may spare you in the time of the Great Demolition.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Naglfar94

Naglfar94
3 months ago#4
silktail posted...
The "Magic" stat or "Magic Power", is the MP equivalent to "Stamina"(/"Vitality") for HP.
So it determines how much MP you get when that grows.

Using/losing a lot of MP, from the amount than they started the battle with, will increase the chance of gaining Magic, as well as gaining MP.

You can lose MP through other methods, such as the Swap trick.
Just remember that restoring MP mid battle doesn't help, it compare the start and end of battle.

(Select-Cancel does nothing to MP, so doesn't help.)

You probably wanted to concentrate on Intelligence and Spirit, and avoid heavy equipment with magic penalties.

No.
Raising "Speed" (/"Agility") is mostly having high Evasion% for a better chance and completing lots of battles.

Wielding 2 weapons doesn't give extra hits or power in the original Famicom version, although it does it some of the remakes.
Double-hand wielding a single weapon would give extra power though, and note that a couple of weapons are good for boosting Evasion%.
Oh okay thank you so much for explaining I had no idea wait so that is weird why would they even allow you to equip 2 weapons in this game if damage is only being calculated for 1? that sucks and this whole time the game had me fooled as the animations shown in battle would have you think otherwise as it clearly shows 2 weapons hitting. Well that would explain why my sleep sword that I had in Guy's second hand was not putting enemies to sleep. Well with that in mind I mind as well just equip a shield then what's the point of a 2nd weapon?

also heavy equipment has penalties to the magic stats huh? so equipping my Maria with too much heavy armor would be a bad idea eh? if I want anything to be done with magic. okay I think I am gonna do some switching around especially concerning shields and such.

User Info: silktail

silktail
3 months ago#5
Naglfar94 posted...
wait so that is weird why would they even allow you to equip 2 weapons in this game if damage is only being calculated for 1?
It might have been a bug, or something they decided not to implement.

You can of course get extra Evasion% from the second weapon (like you are parrying with it). Although a Shield would be usually be better for that.

Naglfar94 posted...
also heavy equipment has penalties to the magic stats huh? so equipping my Maria with too much heavy armor would be a bad idea eh? if I want anything to be done with magic.
I should have said that is includes weapons and shields, as well as helmets, armor, etc. (They removed it from weapons/shields in the later remakes.)

The penalty isn't so bad for a dagger and a chest plate. But you don't want a mage with an axe, shield and knights armor.

That said, the Magic Penalty only effects the boost to spell-accuracy from the Intelligence/Spirit stat, so you get less hits with the spell.
I.e. Status effect are less likely to hit, less damage from a damage spell, a small benefit from a Buff spell.
---
(edited 3 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy II
  3. How do certain things level up?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A