• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy II
  3. How to Use Items in Battle

User Info: Dogwoods

Dogwoods
9 months ago#1
I cannot figure out how to use an item on any party member other than the one using it. I am trying to use phoenix downs in battle to revive party members. But I can only get it cast on the one using the phoenix down, making it useless. I can open my item menu in battle, and select the phoenix down, but then the cursor starts blinking rapidly. If I confirm it again, it will cast on the person using it. If I move the cursor to any of the other items in the menu and confirm it will cancel the selection. It will not let me select any of my party members to cast it on. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Can you really only use items on yourself in this game? Is phoenix down only usable outside of battle?

User Info: silktail

silktail
9 months ago#2
Yes, consumable items only work on the character holding it in battle.

This was the first game in the series to introduce Phoenix Downs. In FF1 you had to return to town, or have a character use a life spell outside of battle. I don't know if they were trying to keep that mechanic or not.

Note that there are some other items which do target the whole party in battle. E.g. Unicorn Horns.
(Plus those which target the enemy.)
---

User Info: Dogwoods

Dogwoods
9 months ago#3
Thanks for confirming that. I have been developing my life magic as an alternative.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy II
  3. How to Use Items in Battle
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A